R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Digital Servos

hey guys,

are digital servos worth the extra money ??? and what makes them better ??

Mike
soon a 1/8th on road
Duratrax Maximum ST Pro
Hpimichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpimichael
hey guys,

Mike
1) generally a digital servo is faster than a standard servo
2) a digital servo is much smoother than a standard servo
Old 03-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpimichael
hey guys,

Mike
A couple of things with digital. As far as them being faster, not really. My anolog servos are the same speed as the fastest digital. However, when torque is concerned, the digital is claming to have more holding power. And as far as being smoother, I haven't noticed any difference there either. Digital however will suck out more juice from the battery. So you might need to take this into consideration. I think the thing about speed and torque, they can get higher numbers for cheaper when you are talking about the highest performance servos, but even here I don't notice much difference in price. After finally running a digital servo, I have found no difference at all. However for 1:8th scale buggy, I might try it there for the steering and holding capability. They also might be able to last a bit longer then analog say if you are ussing Anti Lock Brakes. I know this is killer on the analog servos. Sorry I'm all over the place, but this is from my personal experience and slight research. But I hope this helps somewhat.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Tech Addict

I've felt a standard servo, turning it one way then the other. a Digital servo was always smoother, less resistance.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Tech Adept

i have digital now as well and i think they are smoother then analog and the thing i was concerned with that digital is great with is centering. its just more consistant when it comes that.
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wouldn't recomend digital servo's for nitro application especially on the throttle.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

You guys might be right. I'm compairing the JR9000S (A $120 USD) servo which is digital. When you move it with your hands, yes it is smoother. But this is due to it being coreless. The coreless analog feels the same way.
The analog that I use is the Airtronics 94357 and 358...the 359 and 360. These are $120-150 USD. This is what I am compairing to. If you move them by hand, no they don't have that smooth feel. But as far as on the track where it matters, I don't notice the differnce in smoothnss at all. They all feel the same to me. I have been using the Airtronics for over 8 years, and just recently tried the JR, which is a very nice servo as well. But still no difference at all. Other then the JR sucks more power. They happen to be the same price as the 357and 359 with the exact same specs. .06 sec/60 degrees and 125 in/oz of torque the 358 and 360 is .08 seconds with 200 in/oz of torque. I still prefer the analog and have NEVER had a centering problem once in the 8 years I have used them. I use them in 1/8 scale on road, so centering is very important, as is with all cars for that matter. The difference between the 357,358 to the 359,360 is the higher numbers have aluminum heat sinks is all.

Like I said earlier, the main difference is suppose to be the HOLDING torque. Now if you are compairing 50 dollar analog to 100 dollar digital, that's not a very wise comparison. Get my drift. Good luck guys. Maybe goto a radio Manufacturers site and see what they have to say about digital. Just be careful as marketing can try and fool you a bit.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Digital for Steering, Regular for Throttle
Ghett0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M.
I wouldn't recomend digital servo's for nitro application especially on the throttle.
why?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
Tech Regular

digital servos all around are the best
Old 03-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
why?
There have been a number of people who have had their digital servos die when used for throttle. The problem is when applying it brake. If you brake hard and hold them, the servo has to work really hard to hold the position. The digital servos check there position much more rapidly then analog and it applies power each time. This happens enough to burn up the servo. Some people never have this problem. I think this can be explained by different driving styles, brake linkage setups and track size.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
There have been a number of people who have had their digital servos die when used for throttle. The problem is when applying it brake. If you brake hard and hold them, the servo has to work really hard to hold the position. The digital servos check there position much more rapidly then analog and it applies power each time. This happens enough to burn up the servo. Some people never have this problem. I think this can be explained by different driving styles, brake linkage setups and track size.
If this is true, how can Mugendude say digital is all around the best?? Sort of confused. Plus I thought that Digitals really only positive side was that they had better holding power. So maybe this is not the case if they stop working under holding power, which I have never had happen to an analog. The worst thing I have done to an analog is stip the plastic (weak) gear like 2 times in the last 8-10 years. And this is on most servo's. Hmmm, now I might need to do some research. By the way..."because there the best" doesn't really answer the question to whomever said this. Thanks for everyones input!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

I use digital servo for my steering and standard for my throttle I had a digital servo for my throttle until one day I broke it in a race someone told I could use a standard servo so I bought one and finish third in the race since then I've fixed my digital servo and right now it is my back up servo so I don't see any problem with a standard servo for your throttle only but not for steering.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

One of the reason using an analog on the throttle. Some say its a little too quick throttle response (may cause tire spin). If you use drag brake the constant load on the servo trying to center may cause problems or you'll drain your battery. But overall I like digitals better than analog. Really saw a big difference when using a digital for steering on a 1/10 scale touring. Its a must for eletric TC
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default DIGITAL SERVOS

OK.now what is the best servos for 1/10 on road racing for a 3pks? can i use any brand i want?
GREGORY! is offline   Reply With Quote