R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-28-2003, 11:58 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to puma1824
Default Question for parking lot basher running belts...

I'm getting my first belt driven Nitro. I mostly run in parking lots and was wondering how often should I expect to break or replace the belts.

I know it depends on how dirty the parking lot is but on average how often are you guys breaking them?

Thanks,
Puma
puma1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 01:20 AM   #2
Tech Master

About one per month.

Stay clear of dusty areas and shake your car upside down every tank so as to get rid of some bigger rocks that get trapped in the chassis. Keep it as clean as possible, which means clean often. Have a relatively stiff bristle brush, tooth brush and a slightly softer bristle brush with you at the parking lot.

If you spend around 4 hours per week, than maybe around every 2 weeks you will break or split a belt. The main factor is really how well you clean your car.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 03:49 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

it depends how well u notice rocks and crap jammed between parts and rubbing on the belts
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:32 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

puma,what other cars did you have?..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 08:38 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
puma,what other cars did you have?..

I have/had:

NTC3
RS4 3 SS
T-Maxx
Micro RS4

Remember me from the HPI forums? I'm the one that had followed much of your instuctions when I built my RS4 3 SS. I'm also the one that published the NTC3 tips at deleos.com NTC3 tips on my web site.

-Puma
Old 03-29-2003, 09:34 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

I have an old rs4 2 i run sometimes...i use the stock type belts and only ever needed to change the belts when they wore abt 4-5 gallons i think. Stones never did much harm to them.
theShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Belt bashing

For a Nitro Car, I would definately recommend going to Kevlar belts when it is time to replace them as most Cars only come with standard rubber belts. Some cars are easier on belts than others, but pebbles and broken glass bits will take damage the belts on any car.
This is part of the reason for the popularity of Shaft Driven Cars.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:11 PM   #8
Tech Adept

RUBBER BELTS

Maybe I should use rubber bands instead of my stock belts
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:14 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by puma1824
I have/had:

NTC3
RS4 3 SS
T-Maxx
Micro RS4

Remember me from the HPI forums? I'm the one that had followed much of your instuctions when I built my RS4 3 SS. I'm also the one that published the NTC3 tips at deleos.com NTC3 tips on my web site.

-Puma

yes,I absolutely do.......but why buy a belt car for a parking lot witj rocks?...and what happened to the tc3 and SS?
Old 03-29-2003, 11:09 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
yes,I absolutely do.......but why buy a belt car for a parking lot witj rocks?...and what happened to the tc3 and SS?
For the same reason why I bought the SS after having the NTC3...just want to try something different.

Well still using the NTC3 but the SS is now gone. SS was fun but spent too much on it. The ONLY thing I don't like about the NTC3 is the length of the car is a "tiny" bit longer than the SS so HPI bodies fit bad. I know Proline/Protoform bodies are stronger and better BUT HPI sure looks nice when you just want the car to look scale. Basically just a stupid reason. Other than that the NTC3 is great. After reading the responses so far looks like I'll just save my $$$ and keep using the NTC3. The hobby is expensive enough without having to worry about belts. BTW (off topic) do you use the dual chamber pipe on you NTC3? I was considering either switching to that OR getting the new RD Logics one-piece.

Thanks everyone for your response.

-Puma
Old 03-30-2003, 05:23 AM   #11
Tech Elite

the dual chamber pipe is on my car...I haven't run it yet,aout another month in nj for racing...

the only thing I added from last year is the muffler,and THE FIX shocktower parts..

I've never had the problem,but I figure what teh heck,why wait...

Also,I picked up some of the new gears from associated...if I ever blow any gears(whick I haven't in 2 gallons of gas) I'll have those waiting...

what are your thoughts on the new HPI car...its been awhile since we've chatted...

BTW,good choice on keeping the TC3...

all teh new pro cars are optimized for foams....with one ways in front..a bad combo for parking lots..the tc3 is great on rubbers and foams.....
Old 03-30-2003, 07:15 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
what are your thoughts on the new HPI car...its been awhile since we've chatted...
Talking about the new R40 that's supposed to be released or my RS4 3 SS?

If you're talking about the SS...it was "OK" but never seemed to be as nice as the NTC3. Once put together and ran I couldn't believe how much money I kept sinking into it. It's a money pit. I could of bought at least 2 cars by the time I added all the hop-ups to become a nice car. I did post pictures of if because it looked great.

As for the R40, I don't know what to think...that's why I raised the question on belted cars. I started to think what am I missing out on? If HPI is going back to belts, should I too? I was also considering getting a Super Nitro BUT then I remembered how much I spent on the RS4 3 SS and how much it resold for. Nowhere near what I spent on it.

I was thinking about replacing my Piston and sleeve in my OS .12 TR with the Trinity ported version with Turbo buttom once it's time to rebuild the engine. As for now I think I'll just replace the pipe with the RD Logics one-piece when available.

Did the new fuel tank really help? was considering that too.

-Puma
Old 03-30-2003, 07:50 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

you guys saw the new R40? how does it look? Think it will be competitive?
Jfawwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:12 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Talking about the new R40 that's supposed to be released or my RS4 3 SS?

If you're talking about the SS...it was "OK" but never seemed to be as nice as the NTC3. Once put together and ran I couldn't believe how much money I kept sinking into it. It's a money pit. I could of bought at least 2 cars by the time I added all the hop-ups to become a nice car. I did post pictures of if because it looked great.

As for the R40, I don't know what to think...that's why I raised the question on belted cars. I started to think what am I missing out on? If HPI is going back to belts, should I too? I was also considering getting a Super Nitro BUT then I remembered how much I spent on the RS4 3 SS and how much it resold for. Nowhere near what I spent on it.

I was thinking about replacing my Piston and sleeve in my OS .12 TR with the Trinity ported version with Turbo buttom once it's time to rebuild the engine. As for now I think I'll just replace the pipe with the RD Logics one-piece when available.

Did the new fuel tank really help? was considering that too.

-Puma

I was talking about the R 40...and why they are making a shaft drive electric..and a belt nitro car is beyond me....teh shaft drive might have some tourque steer issues,but my tc3"tourques" past every other car. ...besides...HPI themselves said the SS(or rtr3) NEVER pulled on e way or another...so if that car's not tourque steering,why would a PRO car they designed ..

It will be another money pit....just like the savage..the first in a long line of HPI's I'm not buying..

the new tank made the engines a little bit easier to tune..well worth it...that chicken hopper design might work better in theory..but the pressure these new generation motors put out overwhelms it in practical use...

stick with the tc3.....
Old 03-31-2003, 01:33 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
...It's a money pit....
One reason HPI is going to have to do a really good job on their new car, or else no one is going to give it credit because their nitros are obviously not made for the serious racer. There are many others but I'll hold onto it for now.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote