R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   On Road Motor up-grade or MOD..? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/154231-road-motor-up-grade-mod.html)

Ledsleds 03-14-2007 11:57 PM

On Road Motor up-grade or MOD..?

Hi, all I was just curious, I've been looking to get a new motor for my RS4 Racer it's used and kinda fast but I think the motor it came with is tired. Anyways kinda new to nitro and luvin it but what are your thoughts on going Big Block I know I might have to modify some stuff maybe servo for a slide carb linkage and brake etc. but is it to much should I stick to small block maybe go .18 or a little bigger it has a .12 at the moment but will the car not perform as well with a BB ? etc. just the basics would be great before I go and spend the cash and twink on the set-up I have my car also has the two speed tranny and I just up-graded my radio gear but I'm not happy with the speed at all..

Any thoughts would be great!!

Thanks

spenzalii 03-15-2007 07:56 AM

In all honesty, a big block is NOT the way to go. With the cost and time of modifying the mounts, clutch, chasis, exhaust, etc you can get a better .12 or .18 for less money and less stress.

I can't remember much on that RS4 Racer (is it set up for slide or rotary carb?)or know what kind of budget you're working with. If you're not planning on racing, an OS or LRP .18 sounds right up your alley. IF you do want to race, there are plenty of .12s to fit your budget.

Marcos.J 03-15-2007 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ledsleds
Hi, all I was just curious, I've been looking to get a new motor for my RS4 Racer it's used and kinda fast but I think the motor it came with is tired. Anyways kinda new to nitro and luvin it but what are your thoughts on going Big Block I know I might have to modify some stuff maybe servo for a slide carb linkage and brake etc. but is it to much should I stick to small block maybe go .18 or a little bigger it has a .12 at the moment but will the car not perform as well with a BB ? etc. just the basics would be great before I go and spend the cash and twink on the set-up I have my car also has the two speed tranny and I just up-graded my radio gear but I'm not happy with the speed at all..

Any thoughts would be great!!

Thanks

a simple rear exhaust motor will be sufficient for that car like a MT12 or a O.S.TR/ TZ

Bounty Hunter 03-15-2007 09:02 AM

Big Block

If you want to upgrade from a .12, Novarossi and RB both make a .15 that will not require you to modify anything. The crank case is the same size, just more displacement on the sleve. The RB V15 has a ton more bottom end than any .12 engine. So if you want a little more oomf then I would say that is your bext bet.

BH :nod: :sneaky:

quietstorm76 03-15-2007 05:05 PM

I would stay clear of the OS .18's. They're great motors but the drive train will not take it. I put one in a Nitro MT truck and stripped ALL the gears and broke the front dog bones 3 times within a week. I finally gave up and put in a .12.
Newer cars can take it but I don't think the RS4 will. Just my 2 cents.