R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-27-2003, 08:37 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default AE starter box power options

I want to learn more about my options for power for my AE starter box. I used a couple of old 2000 packs last year but I don't know whether 2400 sticks will fit. Any recommendations for good packs that won't cost a bundle?
Also interested in gel cells or other types of battery power. What are others folks using who use the AE box for the NTC3?

Thanks for any info.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i would get a gel cell....they seem to be the most reliable....and last the longest...
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 07:21 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Where can I get a gel and how much are they? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:02 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Gel cells aren't too bad. All it is, is a 12V sealed gel cell battery (Just a small full scale car battery). You can get them at some hobby stores. Redmond Hobbies used to have TONS of them. It's about $8 for an overnight wall charger too. They seem to last a long time. I went for 2-3 weekends of racing without charging, and they are very consistant as far as the discharge curve goes. I hated stick packs because I had to charge mine halfway through the day.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:44 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I use a 12 volt gel cell battery on mine, however, the AE starter box does NOT come with the proper mounting hardwear to mount the gel cell inside the box. You could probably fabricate something to mount the gel cell inside the box, but for as much as the box costs, it should have come with the proper hardwear to mount either flat packs or a gel cell. I opted to use the gel cell externally. I cut the alligator clips off of the lead wires and replaced them with two female connectors. The female connectors plug directly onto the male posts of the gel cell. It's a pain to have to carry the starter box and the battery seperately, but the gel cell's charge will outlast most flat packs.
Also, I'm not sure if the handle on the starter box would hold the extra weight of the gel cell if you were to mount it in the box. The handle seems weak and the gel cell is pretty heavy.

Ebay is a great place to look for a gel cell. I bought mine for like $15 and got a charger for $8.
Donnie-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 07:12 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info.