R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back in.

hello everyone, this is my first post, i've decided to try to get back into the hobby, i've had few nitro trucks before (2.5r tmax and rc10gt) i still have the rc10gt but its in pieces, i was wondering what on road touring car would you suggest for me? i've been looking mainly at NTC3, rs4 evo, and the 3.3 4-tech, i'm not planning to race profetionally, maybe few times at local hobby shop, but mostly parking lot bashing, which one of these cars are the most reliable? which ones have most hop up parts avail? i was leaning towards the ntc3 for a while till i read that it may be getting pulled the plug on, then i started leaning towards the hpi, but i wasn't really able to find any solid info on that engine and the upgrade parts avail. i haven't found nothing much on the 4 tech ether, i know its the fastest out of the box, but that dosent mean anything, i would rather have high quality parts and great handling then lots of top speed.
zooomzoomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Here we go again! This question opens a huge can of worms, you will soon see that you are going to be more confused after your question, rather than before.

I am staying out of it. For now!
Wayne1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooomzoomguy
hello everyone, this is my first post, i've decided to try to get back into the hobby, i've had few nitro trucks before (2.5r tmax and rc10gt) i still have the rc10gt but its in pieces, i was wondering what on road touring car would you suggest for me? i've been looking mainly at NTC3, rs4 evo, and the 3.3 4-tech, i'm not planning to race profetionally, maybe few times at local hobby shop, but mostly parking lot bashing, which one of these cars are the most reliable? which ones have most hop up parts avail? i was leaning towards the ntc3 for a while till i read that it may be getting pulled the plug on, then i started leaning towards the hpi, but i wasn't really able to find any solid info on that engine and the upgrade parts avail. i haven't found nothing much on the 4 tech ether, i know its the fastest out of the box, but that dosent mean anything, i would rather have high quality parts and great handling then lots of top speed.

the HPI cars are nice because there is so much support for it...all the great bodies are marked for easy mounting,the engine are real fast,and easy running......the Tc 3 is nice because its a good enough car to race with if you ever wanted to do a little club racing.......3 reasons to stay away from traxxas........junk,traxxas,belts....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
NTC3 RTR. It is a solid basher and if/when you decide to race, it can be upgraded to compete.

Good Luck
Loren
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamont
NTC3 RTR. It is a solid basher and if/when you decide to race, it can be upgraded to compete.

Good Luck
Loren
I agree, go with NTC3.

Although the 4tec is faster in top end it is a pain to work on and some of the parts are impossible to get hold of.

It's not bad because it's a belt car, it's got other glaring issues.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

I will agree with them on the NTC3 because it can be a capable racer as well as a basher.
Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

well i picked up the ntc3 today, but i'm having issues starting it, it just dosent want to start.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
well i picked up the ntc3 today, but i'm having issues starting it, it just dosent want to start.
Sometimes the factory settings are a little too rich. I had to lean out a couple of them I've had. Turn the high needle clockwise about 1/4 of a turn and try again.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Tech Adept

explain what the problem is.

make sure its getting fuel, the glow plug is working properly (and igniter). if the motor is getting to much fuel back the plug out a little bit, when it starts remember to tighten up again (this also frees up hydro lock motors or really tight new motors). try pinching the fuel line to decrease the amount of fuel going to the motor to much fuel can extinguish the glow plug. If all that fails get a new plug and start all over it really should start by then. don't give up new motors are sometimes hard to start especially with pull starts.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

its getting fuel, i primed the carb, everything works, i tried switching glow plugs, its just dosent want to start, i tried leaning it out a bit, it ran for a split second once when i was messing with the throttle, but other then that it won't start.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Tech Adept

I say go with HPI, parts are always available, good help at the HPI website, very durable, and fun to drive
Ghett0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghett0
I say go with HPI, parts are always available, good help at the HPI website, very durable, and fun to drive
So, buy a new car because you can't get yours started. hmmmm makes alot of sense.

No figure out how to start that thing, before you buy a new one and have a brand new motor that you can't start.

try a hot plug, that should do the trick!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #13

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Sounds like your carb opening isnt large enough. Take off air filter and check the carb opening. Make sure its around 1mm. Then put filter back on and try to restart. If it doesnt start , try pinching the fuel line and trying to start. You can also try blipping the throttle 10%.

If it then keeps starting but doesnt stay on adjust idle up some more on the idle screw. It should run.

If not try leaning the low-end.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

hopefully you bought it a hobby shop.....see if they will help..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
hopefully you bought it a hobby shop.....see if they will help..
even if you did'nt you might just have to pay for service rendered.