R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Read the many reviews on people saying they can feel a difference. Many pro drivers dropped spektrum immediatly after noticing its delays. This was when it first came out.

I get this feeling that your more or less theorizing on the entire situation. Try for yourself , rather than interject speculation.

Also the radio themselves also have there own delays. 3pk is the fastest radio to date. Some people knowing that stat alone was reason enough to swap to the 3pk. This delay has been worked on by radio makers for quite a while. There always striving for faster response. Its like having a car with a quicker quarter mile time. Its really quite odd to see someone saying its not going to make a difference or it doesnt matter. It does. Its not night and day. Like 2-3 seconds here. But its something that is better for driving.

Ill post my review once I get to test it.
It's important to me to have a good feel, I did not like the Futaba radio period. Is that hard to understand? Regardless of the speed I prefer one over the other.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #32

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
It's important to me to have a good feel, I did not like the Futaba radio period. Is that hard to understand? Regardless of the speed I prefer one over the other.
Wasnt hacking on the helios , in fact was focused on the issue on hand. The speed of radios and that spektrum adds latency to that and all systems.

But yeah if it dont feel right who care what speed it is. You just cant use it.

Either way try fm , youll probably see some difference. But who knows if with the pro systems. Thats why im gonna test it personally and will give an unbiased report.

I have no reason to support one or the other. I will tell you though just on stats alone Ill be sticking with the futaba. Theres a few benefits of the futaba fasst for 3pk users vs spektrum.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Wasnt hacking on the helios , in fact was focused on the issue on hand. The speed of radios and that spektrum adds latency to that and all systems.

But yeah if it dont feel right who care what speed it is. You just cant use it.

Either way try fm , youll probably see some difference. But who knows if with the pro systems. Thats why im gonna test it personally and will give an unbiased report.

I have no reason to support one or the other. I will tell you though just on stats alone Ill be sticking with the futaba. Theres a few benefits of the futaba fasst for 3pk users vs spektrum.
I did use FM for a little bit before swapping to Spektrum. I can't honestly say I feel any difference. Except I'm more comfortable driving the car using Spektrum because there's no risk of someone hopping on the freq and totaling my car. That's the premise of DSm technology anyway.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #34
jag
Tech Master

I have been using this in my 3PK for a few months now. It works great. I never used HRS only the PCM (in FM) before but it is definetly faster than PCM. I tried the Spektrum before and did not like it. I had many problems, even sent it back to be reprogrammed... still didn't like it. I am very happy with the FASST. Futuba did a good job with this... too bad it took so long.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
I have been using this in my 3PK for a few months now. It works great. I never used HRS only the PCM (in FM) before but it is definetly faster than PCM. I tried the Spektrum before and did not like it. I had many problems, even sent it back to be reprogrammed... still didn't like it. I am very happy with the FASST. Futuba did a good job with this... too bad it took so long.

what problems specifically?
Old 03-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Jag,

I'm going to be using PCM for nitro onroad this summer. You said you could feel it was slower - was it a significant difference? I've been using HRS for carpet racing but wanted to try PCM for nitro.

Thanks
jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #37

Quote:
I did use FM for a little bit before swapping to Spektrum. I can't honestly say I feel any difference. Except I'm more comfortable driving the car using Spektrum because there's no risk of someone hopping on the freq and totaling my car. That's the premise of DSm technology anyway.
Maybe because you wernet looking. Now that you know its slower , swap back in the same day and see what you think.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 AM   #38
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to nismo46

hi,

first i had the spektrum hrs system special for the 3pk, works ok and had no problems with it.

i have bought now the newest 3pk with the fasst system and for my feeling its much faster than the spektrum system.

greetz
nismo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #39
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
what problems specifically?
If I can remember correctly, the steering servo would not center properly, frequent delay (bad, 1 to 2 seconds), when I tried to add a 2nd car, my radio would "forget" the previous one. I basically had to reset everything every time I changed cars. It was not worth the trouble... even if it worked right. After I got it back from being "fixed" it still would not remember more than 1 car.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #40
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon123
Jag,

I'm going to be using PCM for nitro onroad this summer. You said you could feel it was slower - was it a significant difference? I've been using HRS for carpet racing but wanted to try PCM for nitro.

Thanks
I really like the speed. I feel more connected to the car. I don't see any advantage to not using HRS. You can always turn down the response on the radio if you want... that's what I did.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

3pks with fasst here, and other than the radio not being as comfortable as the Mars R it replaced just a couple months ago ( in which I only used crystals) , I have absolutely no regrets in buying the combo. I've had absolutely no problems with glitching even when it was installed in my brushless XB8 right next to some high current esc/motor wires. And the 603 rx is about the same size as the KO 302 I used, which is extremely small.

For those people worried about response time, come on. We're talking about milliseconds here, if that, between what you command the radio to do and what the car does. If your using old, worn out servos and linkages for steering, sure the response time may be slower, but that's a mechanical problem, not electrical.

I've never tried the Spektrum but believe in using the same manufacture for everything. I did see ALOT of problems with the first Spektrum units, which was convincing enough.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Arrow Downside to FAAST system

My buddy has been running it for about a month now. The only complaint that I could see that he has with the system is that you have to push a button down everytime you power the system on to engage the failsafe system. From my understanding this only has to occur if you are not using an HRS receiver. Kind of a pain in the ass if you ask me.

BH
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default SPEKTRUM HRS 3PK ONLY VERSION HERE

I'VE HAD THE HRS ( 3PK ONLY ) SPEKTRUM SYSTEM SINCE IT CAME OUT AND RUN 3 CARS OFF IT REGULARLY. I'VE NOT EXPERIENCED ANY GLITCHES OR PROBLEMS TO DATE. I SWITCHED TO THE HRS SYSTEM AFTER RUNNING THE REGULAR SYSTEM FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AND I REALLY COULDN'T TELL THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE OVERALL BUT DID FIND MYSELF TURNING IN A LITTLE EARLIER THAN WITH THE REGULAR SYSTEM. SO I GUESS THERE WAS A LITTLE SUBCONSIOUS REACTION TIME DIFFERENCE.

AFTER RESEARCHING THE FASST SYSTEM AND SEEING ALL THE PROS AND CONS OF IT MY BIGGEST CONCERN WAS PRICE AND AVAILABILITY. WITH THE HRS SPEKTRUM Rx'S , MY LHS CAN GET WHATEVER I NEED ,WHENEVER I NEED IT AND AT A PRETTY DARN GOOD PRICE COMPARED TO RETAIL. PLUS , IF YOU LOOK AT THE NUMBERS, INVESTING IN THE FASST SYSTEM LIKE I WOULD NEED TO ( 5 Rx'S AND ONE MODULE ) CAN GET PRETTY EXPENSIVE PRETTY QUICKLY. AND THAT ALSO MEANS SELLING A SYSTEM THAT IS NOW KNOWN AS "THE SLOWER SYSTEM" AND TRYING TO RETRIEVE AT LEAST A PORTION OF WHAT I HAVE SPENT.

I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT WOULD WARRANT SWAPPING TO THE FASST SYSTEM AND AS COMPARED TO THE HRS SPEKTRUM ,THERE ISN'T ENOUGH DIFFERENCE FOR ME TO CHANGE OVER. I LOVE MY 3PK AND WOULDN'T USE ANYTHING ELSE BUT I FEEL THAT FUTABA CAN HOLD YOU UP ON PRICE FOR EXTRA Rx'S AND THERE ISN'T MUCH WE CAN DO ABOUT THAT AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

NOT UNTIL THERE IS ENOUGH COMPETITION FROM OTHER COMPANIES TO DRIVE THE PRICE DOWN.

KINDA LIKE WITH AMB AND THEIR TRANSPONDERS. THEY REMAIN HIGH TO BUY AND RESALE REMAINS GOOD ON THEM BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANYONE ELSE CHALLENGING THEM.

JUST MY OPINION, NOTHING MORE

MARCEL
FUJIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Wink

Good point Fujimo I'm waiting for Airtronics to come out with their version of 2.4MHZ system.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUJIMO
I'VE HAD THE HRS ( 3PK ONLY ) SPEKTRUM SYSTEM SINCE IT CAME OUT AND RUN 3 CARS OFF IT REGULARLY. I'VE NOT EXPERIENCED ANY GLITCHES OR PROBLEMS TO DATE. I SWITCHED TO THE HRS SYSTEM AFTER RUNNING THE REGULAR SYSTEM FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AND I REALLY COULDN'T TELL THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE OVERALL BUT DID FIND MYSELF TURNING IN A LITTLE EARLIER THAN WITH THE REGULAR SYSTEM. SO I GUESS THERE WAS A LITTLE SUBCONSIOUS REACTION TIME DIFFERENCE.

AFTER RESEARCHING THE FASST SYSTEM AND SEEING ALL THE PROS AND CONS OF IT MY BIGGEST CONCERN WAS PRICE AND AVAILABILITY. WITH THE HRS SPEKTRUM Rx'S , MY LHS CAN GET WHATEVER I NEED ,WHENEVER I NEED IT AND AT A PRETTY DARN GOOD PRICE COMPARED TO RETAIL. PLUS , IF YOU LOOK AT THE NUMBERS, INVESTING IN THE FASST SYSTEM LIKE I WOULD NEED TO ( 5 Rx'S AND ONE MODULE ) CAN GET PRETTY EXPENSIVE PRETTY QUICKLY. AND THAT ALSO MEANS SELLING A SYSTEM THAT IS NOW KNOWN AS "THE SLOWER SYSTEM" AND TRYING TO RETRIEVE AT LEAST A PORTION OF WHAT I HAVE SPENT.

I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT WOULD WARRANT SWAPPING TO THE FASST SYSTEM AND AS COMPARED TO THE HRS SPEKTRUM ,THERE ISN'T ENOUGH DIFFERENCE FOR ME TO CHANGE OVER. I LOVE MY 3PK AND WOULDN'T USE ANYTHING ELSE BUT I FEEL THAT FUTABA CAN HOLD YOU UP ON PRICE FOR EXTRA Rx'S AND THERE ISN'T MUCH WE CAN DO ABOUT THAT AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

NOT UNTIL THERE IS ENOUGH COMPETITION FROM OTHER COMPANIES TO DRIVE THE PRICE DOWN.

KINDA LIKE WITH AMB AND THEIR TRANSPONDERS. THEY REMAIN HIGH TO BUY AND RESALE REMAINS GOOD ON THEM BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANYONE ELSE CHALLENGING THEM.

JUST MY OPINION, NOTHING MORE

MARCEL
Money wise , your right. Futaba is more exspensive. However that doesnt play into which one is better. Thats more of the concern for at least me here. Anyone can see that the prices are higher. But they are dropping.

Also delays aside , there is known glitching issues , less power for broadcast , doesnt even fit in a 3pk correctly. I had to shave my spektrum module as well I cant use the RX cover.

Spektrum HRS system is a good bet. Its of course the lowest of all spektrum latencies , but for a few dollars more you get stronger signal , less glitching , less delay and it fits without modifcation.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 03-27-2007 at 06:41 AM.