R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Keep it or Sell it??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/153156-keep-sell.html)

OFNA OB4 03-08-2007 05:22 AM

Keep it or Sell it???

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but not new to the game...I have a small question, about 2 years ago i purchased a brand new never been ran Ofna OB4... I got the car from Ace's Nitro Hobbies from CT...Since my purchased I've never even ran the car my self, matter of fact I've never put a motor in it either...I was wondering if i should either fix this car up and race this instead or should i go with something else and sell this car...just looking for suggestions on what i should do, thanks to all that take the time out to read my post and to those that reply back..

Rich

NytroNutz 03-08-2007 08:25 AM

It depends on your racing objective. If you just want to have fun go right ahead and finish it. You will have a blast.

If you are serious about competing you may want to upgrade to the most current models of the Kyosho 777, Jammin, Mugen MBX5 or Xray XB8. Not that you cant compete with what you have but there are many improvements in 8th scale buggies that you want to take advantage of and keep you winning that are incorporated in these models.

OFNA OB4 03-08-2007 08:31 AM

I understand what your saying, but i just want to race touring, im not looking to get real serious with it and travel all over the world, I'm lucky if i travel to NYC or PA for any racing...Yes i want to compete, but is it worth it with this car....

rc_alan 03-08-2007 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by OFNA OB4
I understand what your saying, but i just want to race touring, im not looking to get real serious with it and travel all over the world, I'm lucky if i travel to NYC or PA for any racing...Yes i want to compete, but is it worth it with this car....

To answer your question.... No... The car is like 3-4 life-cycles behind as far as what OFNA has released since the OB4... Parts replacement will also be super hard to find... Your best bet is to sell it and step up to one of the current touring cars that are on the market right now... You can't go wrong with either a Mugen MTX4, Kyosho RRR, Serpent 720, Huddy's NT1 or the TM G4S... There's a thread here on RC Tech that you can try to sell your OB4 or you can also try Ebay or ask your lhs to try to sell it for you... You will never get what you paid for it, so you may even end up having to almost give the car away in order to sell it... :eek: Just being honest...

RC_Alan

Ivan Dickson 03-08-2007 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by rc_alan
To answer your question.... No... The car is like 3-4 life-cycles behind as far as what OFNA has released since the OB4... Parts replacement will also be super hard to find... Your best bet is to sell it and step up to one of the current touring cars that are on the market right now... You can't go wrong with either a Mugen MTX4, Kyosho RRR, Serpent 720, Huddy's NT1 or the TM G4S... There's a thread here on RC Tech that you can try to sell your OB4 or you can also try Ebay or ask your lhs to try to sell it for you... You will never get what you paid for it, so you may even end up having to almost give the car away in order to sell it... :eek: Just being honest...

RC_Alan

Great advice for Ob4 :nod: I totally agree :nod: :nod: :tire: :tire:

rcrevolution 03-08-2007 09:42 AM

Ofna OB4

Sell it and get something new then come to BPT and go to the track right near Ace's.

I live on Wayne Street which is about 3 secs away from the shop and the track.

Bert ( HarKonnenD ) Lives in Stratford but he comes to BPT alot.

I see you live in Fairfield, where in Fairfield? do you live near the BPT border or deep into fairfield?

There is a new Hobby Town USA that opened up near Bob's on the Post Road in fairfield, maybe you can go there and check out whats new.

Anyways once it starts heating up if you want come to the track and hang out with us, maybe we can get you into on-road racing.

do you have an AIM screenname or some sort of instant messenger to talk?

Serpentd 03-08-2007 11:38 AM

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but not new to the game...I have a small question, about 2 years ago i purchased a brand new never been ran Ofna OB4... I got the car from Ace's Nitro Hobbies from CT...Since my purchased I've never even ran the car my self, matter of fact I've never put a motor in it either...I was wondering if i should either fix this car up and race this instead or should i go with something else and sell this car...just looking for suggestions on what i should do, thanks to all that take the time out to read my post and to those that reply back..

Rich

Dude, another option is get another car for competition, and use this one for breaking in engines. Whether you break in engines at your track or a vacant parking lot, this way you won't risk messing up belts and pulleys etc on your good car. Just a suggestion in case you can't get that much money out of it. It could still serve a purpose. Just a thought. Good luck! :)

Dredd 03-08-2007 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Serpentd
Dude, another option is get another car for competition, and use this one for breaking in engines. Whether you break in engines at your track or a vacant parking lot, this way you won't risk messing up belts and pulleys etc on your good car. Just a suggestion in case you can't get that much money out of it. It could still serve a purpose. Just a thought. Good luck! :)

I'd have never thought of that idea. Yeah depending on what ppl offer you for it it may be more worth keeping as a mess around car. Or like was suggested, break in motors.

OFNA OB4 03-08-2007 02:38 PM

hey i love and appreciate all the opinions and suggestions, and I'm going to just keep the car and get another one on the side just for racing, so if i want to just go out and beat the $hit , i can use the ob4, but i think im going to go with the new ofna that came out for racing, any other suggestions on what car i should get for around $400.00 thanks guys, i know i can count on you guys...

Rich

Dredd 03-08-2007 03:12 PM

hey i love and appreciate all the opinions and suggestions, and I'm going to just keep the car and get another one on the side just for racing, so if i want to just go out and beat the $hit , i can use the ob4, but i think im going to go with the new ofna that came out for racing, any other suggestions on what car i should get for around $400.00 thanks guys, i know i can count on you guys...

Rich

I'm partial to the Kyosho RRR since I own one. Out of the box I've heard that it's the most complete. The Mugen needs a few parts to get up to specs, but any of the latest kits would be fine. It's all in the driver and setup anyway. Probably all the cars will setup close if not identical if you want them to and get yourself a good engine.

Not to be a hater, but I don't really like Serpent. Not because it's not a good car no way...but their parts are more expensive (from what I've seen).

HarKonnenD 03-08-2007 05:38 PM

Rich

I can check to see if they have the sale on the MTX4 for about $330. All you'd need to do is get a motor, servos, body, and exhaust system. Since you live in Fairfield stay with the Mugen as Aces has lots of parts for that car. Also, if you come down with or Eric (RCREVOLUTION) to floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, NY they are big on Mugen, kyosho, and Serpent parts down there. However it's mainly a lot of Mugen guys there. As of right now Brooklyn Hobbies has the World Championship Edition for $360

http://www.brooklynhobbies.com/index...OD&ProdID=1549

If you want that is a good buy. To get you up and running it without the engine will cost you about $200 for servos, exhaust pipe and a body. The GPX4 pro is another good car, but part support isn't the best. Aces does have parts if you need though and so far only them nearby in our area. The engine can cost you $170-$400. Personally a good start is the OS .12TZ or the Ninja MR12 which are around the low to mid $200 range. You can purchase the NINJA MR12 engine w/ one piece pipe for $329. The TZ doesn't come as a combo though so you'd have to pick one. Anyway you should come out for racing as it will be fun. I train at Bridgeports track, but it may be tough this year as I heard the winter ruined the asphalt. Hopefully I get time to inspect it before I just head out with my rc gear. Maybe you can meet up with Eric and I one day at the track for some tuning/setup help and practice driving.

Dredd 03-08-2007 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I can check to see if they have the sale on the MTX4 for about $330. All you'd need to do is get a motor, servos, body, and exhaust system. Since you live in Fairfield stay with the Mugen as Aces has lots of parts for that car. Also, if you come down with or Eric (RCREVOLUTION) to floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, NY they are big on Mugen, kyosho, and Serpent parts down there. However it's mainly a lot of Mugen guys there. As of right now Brooklyn Hobbies has the World Championship Edition for $360

http://www.brooklynhobbies.com/index...OD&ProdID=1549

If you want that is a good buy. To get you up and running it without the engine will cost you about $200 for servos, exhaust pipe and a body. The GPX4 pro is another good car, but part support isn't the best. Aces does have parts if you need though and so far only them nearby in our area. The engine can cost you $170-$400. Personally a good start is the OS .12TZ or the Ninja MR12 which are around the low to mid $200 range. You can purchase the NINJA MR12 engine w/ one piece pipe for $329. The TZ doesn't come as a combo though so you'd have to pick one. Anyway you should come out for racing as it will be fun. I train at Bridgeports track, but it may be tough this year as I heard the winter ruined the asphalt. Hopefully I get time to inspect it before I just head out with my rc gear. Maybe you can meet up with Eric and I one day at the track for some tuning/setup help and practice driving.

I wish I knew more people around here who were more into being serious in racing with RRRs, MTX4s, 720s etc. Around me it's ppl with 4tecs and HPI RS4 EVO3s who think they can race. They may be ok in driving, but some of them are pretty...I want to say ignorant but that's being mean. I guess they just don't want to admit that they can't hold up to someone with a kit and a race tuned motor. What I mean is, around me at least ppl I've seen, I can't get any practice time and help/info/tips etc. I can go to the track and drive all day, but I sure wish I knew when/if people who are a little more knowledgeable and serious came out there.

It's gotta just be my location. North Broward county, FL.

I suppose I really wish that it was easier to get in touch with local ppl who race too. Like you said, meet up at the track and hang out for a bit and maybe pickup a few things from ppl who know more than me.

HarKonnenD 03-08-2007 06:59 PM

Check the racing forums and or do a search to see what track is nearby your area. I know Florida definately has a couple onroad tracks there.

Dredd 03-08-2007 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Check the racing forums and or do a search to see what track is nearby your area. I know Florida definately has a couple onroad tracks there.

Yeah I go to a track that's close, but like I said...ppl that I see there are not my type. Not just because of what they drive, but they don't take care of their car. It barely runs and it's coated with crap. Stuff is rigged on too. They're not all bad ppl, but the way they drive scares me...they try to run you over so they can "win" even when you're just trying to warm up. I bet alot of ppl know what I'm talking about. Most days it's totally empty and nobody's there. Sometimes I find the track surface covered with garbage and old tires that have chunks out of them that look like someone ate half of it and they're clearly driving on the rims. They throw them right on the track like it doesn't matter. It's kinda funny sometimes, but sad too.

Anyway back on topic. It's also a good idea IMO to drive something that you can get support on if you have questions. If you order in a TM G4S for example and nobody around you has parts or knows much about optional hop ups etc you will rely on everything being done online. That's not as good as talking to someone in person and letting them show you stuff on the car that you may not know. It helps.

rcrevolution 03-08-2007 07:49 PM

I DO THAT!

online parts ordering FTW!!!!