R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #16
Tech Addict

i got one,i got one; when i first got into nitro i really didn't know much about the motors, mainly how to take them about. so after about a month of racing i figured it was do time to tear apart my motor and check it out. first i took off the head , and that was pretty easy, next came out the sleeve then it was time for the back plate. now that i'm remembering more from that day it was pretty late at night and i just wanted to finish. i unscrewed the four screws and tryed to pull it off, but no success ,so i grab the biggest flat head screwdriver i head ....... lets just say it finally came off but i needed to buy a new piston and sleeve set forgot to ask how to take the back plate off ..i'm pretty sure someone would had told me to raise the piston to TDC ........it happens

Last edited by mike jones; 03-06-2007 at 11:52 AM.
mike jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones
i got one,i got one; when i first got into nitro i really didn't know much about the motors, mainly how to take them about. so after about a month of racing i figured it was do time to tear apart my motor and check it out. first i took off the head , and that was pretty easy, next came out the sleeve then it was time for the back plate. now that i'm remembering more from that day it was pretty late at night and i just wanted to finish. i unscrewed the four screws and tryed to pull it off, but no success ,so i grab the biggest flat head screwdriver i head ....... lets just say it finally came off but i needed to buy a new piston and sleeve set forgot to ask how to take the back plate off ..i'm pretty sure someone would had told me to raise the piston to TDC ........it happens
Even though it is not a nitro blunder...technically, tell us about the time a kayak one's head...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It was during the main and a friend of mine was pitting for this driver who came in to pit because he thought the motor was a little rich. He pulled out the screw driver and realized that the main needle wasn't moving because he was actually holding a 2.5 allen. He didn't want to mess up the guy's main, and feel dumb, so he just pretended to lean out the motor, put the car down and told the driver to go. The driver went and yelled out "much better!!".
Leo V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #19

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I have a bunch of squirrels around my old house and for years since my childhood Ive always dreamed of catching a squirel with my speed in real life. Well that dream was sadly squashed by the squirrels greater speed and agility.

So in comes the 1/10th scale nitro truck. Amazingly it can track them down easy. Then the great part the squirrels seem to be out manuevered. So I ended up driving circles around the squirrel as it sat in awe of this loud rolling vehicle. That one always gets a laugh , but I have moved and there doesnt seem to be many squirrels.

Then for a good bopple. I plugged my glow lighter in the 12v socket on my starter box and went to start my car only to hear a great single pop. Guess 12V is a bit to much for a 1.5V glow-plug. Completely melted the filament into a ball.

The rest ive done pretty good with. Just some close calls when Im bashing around , but otherwise not too shabby. No run offs yet. Not one blown motor. No horrible wrecks.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Not a major issue but one that sure had me feeling really really stupid. Been racing Nitro on-road for 20yrs now and last year I still did the most newbiest thing ever.

Got the car unpacked and all setup ready to run. Put the car on the starter box, turned it over a few times to get the fuel up and put in the glow. Turned and turned it over and not a kick????? Checked the plug and it was fine. Thing should definately start - was running the day before really sweet.

Pulled the engine out of the car and put in a spare. It was only then I realised that the fuel and bottle were still in the alu storage box. I hadnt put fuel in the tank
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi
just last week i was so excited to run my new TNX 5.2R in our local offroad track. that was a weekend and we had terrible traffic, plus there was heavy construction on my usual route, had to through a longer way. took me more than an hour to reach the track (normally takes less than 30 min.)

when i got to the track, i gassed up, turned on my radio and the receiver, primed the engine, stuck the igniter, and tried to start the engine with the rotorstarter.

then nothing it wouldnt start, not even a sound that the glowplug wants to fire up the fuel after several more tries, it felt that the engine was flooded. i removed the glowplug, stuck it in the igniter, and it was still okay. check the fuel lines, theyre good, fuel was flowing. rotorstarter batteries are good, no signs of dumping.

then i tried again. nothing ive waited about 2 weeks since i brought my TNX, broken-in a week ago, and this is the day that i am going to run on an actual racetrack i endured more than an hour of traffic and my truck wouldnt start

i was ready to pack up all my stuff and head home. then i saw the culprit ...

i remembered that i cleaned up the truck after last week's break-in. i looked at the carb and there was no air filter

only this ...

port cap

so i had to call up my friend and waited another hour for him to arrive so i can borrow his air filter
My store is almost the same, but I had the fule line backwards. And it took someone else to show me this.....

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Wink

Few weeks back during a local club race I decided to change my tires to run in the next qual. well the car started handling strange meaning it wanted to spinout in the turns the qual. before that the was handling ok so I decided to pull the car during the qual. take it back to the table started inspecting and wondering what's wrong as I proceed to take the tires off I realized I had the rear tires on the front and the front on the rear all I could do was laugh at my rookie mistake.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Man this is a great thread funny stuff brang back memories when I first started.
Here is my story
First kit that i built was a g4 E class was so excited to finish it did it all buy the book put all the extra bling bling like the normal newbie would trued the tires tuned my rb x12 rody roam went to the track that has a super straightaway like 225ft peg it full blast into the straightaway 1/2 way thru the straight my car does a bunny hop & I see what looks like my battery pack fly right out of the back & you know what happens full throttle into the wall & I left the track with what resembles a gyro with no meat in it.
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This was right before I started racing, I was at a race helping my friend pit for his son who was running in first place and he hit something and lost the front body clip and the body kept lifting up so he brought it in the pit his dad went to grab a body clip from the pit table while I was holding the car and as I am looking at the car what ya know I see a body clip sticking out the body so I pull it out and stick it in the body post and I put the car on the track and told him to go.And then for some odd reason the computer wasnt counting his laps, At this point his father asked me where I got the body clip from. Boy I felt stupid
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
This was right before I started racing, I was at a race helping my friend pit for his son who was running in first place and he hit something and lost the front body clip and the body kept lifting up so he brought it in the pit his dad went to grab a body clip from the pit table while I was holding the car and as I am looking at the car what ya know I see a body clip sticking out the body so I pull it out and stick it in the body post and I put the car on the track and told him to go.And then for some odd reason the computer wasnt counting his laps, At this point his father asked me where I got the body clip from. Boy I felt stupid
ROFL
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
thats a classic
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I once had rigged my starterbox terminals the wrong way then I spent almost an hour tying to figure out what's wrong with the engine not starting up. I even got some veterans to take a look at the problem. The problem eluded everyone until someone noticed the wheels turned the other way around.

When everyone found out the root of the problem we had a good laugh
Old 03-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious17
I once had rigged my starterbox terminals the wrong way then I spent almost an hour tying to figure out what's wrong with the engine not starting up. I even got some veterans to take a look at the problem. The problem eluded everyone until someone noticed the wheels turned the other way around.

When everyone found out the root of the problem we had a good laugh
That's a good one.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

I had just spent 45 minutes replacing and rerouting the fuel line on that Kyosho (bad things just kept happening to that car, now that I think about it) and decided to take it out for a run in front of some friends. So I get out to the parking lot, remmeber to turn the radio on FIRST this time, and nail it. It was great for the first few minutes.

I go on another high speed pass and hit the brake. Nothing. I start to roll around in circles and figure out what is going on. It slows down slightly (like from 35 mph to 33) and speeds back up. Horror of horrors, I HAVE NO BRAKES. So now my friends are trying to run after the car and catch it while I'm going in circles. It starts to look like an episode of Benny Hill at this point. I hear a 'click' and the motor finally shuts off.

Turns out the fuel tubing wasn't secure or routed worth a damn, so ir worked its way between the throttle linkage and would not let it go to neutral, let alone apply brakes. The glow plug was shot, and the clutch shoes fused together, but otherwise the car was no worse for wear. My friends, however, were exhausted from chasing the car and getting hit by it the few times they were close enough to grab it.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
Few weeks back during a local club race I decided to change my tires to run in the next qual. well the car started handling strange meaning it wanted to spinout in the turns the qual. before that the was handling ok so I decided to pull the car during the qual. take it back to the table started inspecting and wondering what's wrong as I proceed to take the tires off I realized I had the rear tires on the front and the front on the rear all I could do was laugh at my rookie mistake.
This thread if too Funny!! I've done at least half of these things, but I thought this one was going to end up like what happened to me at the 2007 Winternats 2 weeks ago. Simular situation, got lots of time between qualifiers, about 4 hours. I decided to run a harder tire, trued a set, put them on, went out for warm up, and Woooweeeee, the car is on ICE!!! It didn't matter what direction I pointed it, it was going where it wanted. I thought, maybee the tires need to wear in a bit, one more lap, and if that didn't work, I'll pull it. sure enough, I didn't have to wait long, it fixed itself, going down the back straight-a-way, 2 tires came off the car and by the time the car stopped, another one.
You know what, it doesn't matter how hard you tighten those invisible wheel nuts, they just don't work.