R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 02-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Thinking of 1/8 on road??!!??

Hello I currently Race 1/8 Offroad Buggy and Truggy. I have 2 friends that recently bought used serpent 950's and a setup station and a tire truing machine. I thought you guys might be able to help me. I would like to run the same class as my friends, but I am unsure of myself. I don't know if I would be getting in over my head. I have raced 1/8 offroad for a few years. and I am a decent driver. good enough to be in the a main at the local tracks and when I go down to Columbus (CRCRC) on the big weekends and get in the B or C main. do you have any suggestions? or maybe knowledge of any used 1/8 onroad cars.
The 3 cars that seam to be the most popular are
Kyosho evolva
mugen mrx-4
Serpent 950 and 960
Are there any good Online Stores for 1/8 scale onroad stuff??
I already have Radio Servos and Receiver
So I am looking for a chassis and engine.

Thanks for your time
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

just think of spending some serious$$$
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Tech Adept

tdeal823,

Your situation is just like mine last yr. I raced 1/8th scale buggy for yrs and then we opened an 1/8th scale onroad track here in St Louis. I jumped in heads 1st and am glad I did.

That being said: there is way more setup info needed for onroad than offroad. It can be extremely frustrating if the car isn't setup right. Unlike offroad, where you can still get around the track competitively.

What I would recommend is:
- go to the local track and look at who is running what (for us in STL, it's either the Mugen or Kyosho). Then talk to a couple of the drivers. Pick the car that the most helpful ones and seemingly the most knowledgable ones are running.
- build the car and then have them look it over (again, these things are way more precise than the buggies)
- expect and just give into the reality that onroad is more expensive. People will argue this, but I do both and my opion is onroad costs more. The tires alone are a big expense. Because, you will have to cut the tires the right size to be competitive and then they wear pretty fast (figure 1 set per weekend racing on a good weekend)
- invest in a setup station (the Hudy is the most popular)
- don't invest in a tire lathe (there will be mult ones at the track)
- learn about setting the correct ride height and droop (two things that aren't as important in offroad, but are critical in onroad)

Then get ready to have a freakn blast. There is nothing in buggy racing that comes close to going down the straight at 70mph (shifting is cool btw) and then turning into the sweeper. Holding that corner speed is impossible in offroad. I hope you give it a try - just do it with your eyes wide open.
Greg
GMSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

2 great on line stores that cater to nitro on road

Brooklyn Hobbies

Ashford Hobby

Sorry Robert I had to put Richie first.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

GMSchmidt,

Do you still Race 1/8 buggy? Which do you like more? I'm a exmotocrosser so my heart is in racing offroad but I have an awsome onroad track 10 min from my house
Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

www.Rcthunderhobbies.net have GREAT prices and give lots of help and great info on the cars they sell.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
2 great on line stores that cater to nitro on road

Brooklyn Hobbies

Ashford Hobby

Sorry Robert I had to put Richie first.
Jim, now y and put Richie first? He wouldn't do the same 4 u.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Default 8th scale

If you drive 8th scale Off Road, you're gonna love it when they hit second gear and fly!

The F1 of RC, nothing else like it.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Tech Elite

The best 1/8 scale cars/parts stores. I think..

Ashford hobby, Winners Circle, and Brooklyn Hobbies. sorry I don't have hyperlinks.

They all are very good and very knowledgeable on 1/8th scales.
I think Robert P and Lee M are two of the best when it comes to knowing these cars.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

thanks a bunch guys. Do any of you know of someone selling out of onroad? and willing to ship to the Toledo, Ohio Area??

Thanks again for all the help
Tony
Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Talking

Tony,
There is one good side effect of racing 1/8 scale on road then going back to off road.. You tend to drive you buggy and truggy faster! My CRT, I had to re gear because I wanted more speed like the on road. On road speed is addictive!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Going into 1/8 onroad as far as I am concerned is the absolute penacle of RC car racing. There is nothing faster or more exciting. Dirt racing doesn't even begin to compare. Don't look back my friend. You won't miss it I assure you.
RC Planes
Real Car: 2003 Corvette C5 Z06 Millenium yellow
BIGTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTACO
Going into 1/8 onroad as far as I am concerned is the absolute penacle of RC car racing. There is nothing faster or more exciting. Dirt racing doesn't even begin to compare. Don't look back my friend. You won't miss it I assure you.
I AGREE 100%!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTACO
Unfortunately that is only true if there's a facility that accomidates 1/8 scale cars well. Around me the tracks are not large enough to make 1/8 very competitive. There is only a small showing. Gotta drive pretty far. This makes it difficult for someone starting out to get into it. Most people do 1/10 because there's more tracks that fit well to 1/10 Scale.

If there's a track close that is large enough to support a decent size 1/8 scale class then go for it.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Talking

I agree 100% also! I am in a unique siduation. Up here, there are more off road tracks than on road. I was 100% on road and wanted to race more. So I compromised. I bought my Jammin setup and I run the buggy/truggy fast as it can run! In fact, I have come from 301 at night; while in transit gotten the call that there is a midnight race in Delaware and I have re route to race off road. The fun side to this is that after running my 960 at dam near light speed all day at 301, you want to run the buggy/truggy at the same pace! I have had some seriously fast lap times after driving on road in the day and off road at night! It's hard to calm down after going that fast!
I will travel long distances to a 8th scale on road track to get my fix!! Everything else is just slow!

On the other hand, I raced at Checkerboard in NJ.. Those buggys are hitting speeds close to on road. The straight is over 150 feet! There is nothing like the sound of a wound out .21!!

I pack a buggy with my on road cars! You never know!