R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default engine help

I have a kyosho v1rrr. Im in the process of breaking in my engine which is a o.s.12 tz eb mods. Im on my second tank the first tank I just let the engine idle. The second Im starting to roll the throttle not punch it. My problem is after I roll the throttle and return to idle it is starting to idle wildly, like reving high when the engine gets warm. I dont have a temp gun I usually just rely on performance and sound and smoke, but I did the spit test on the glow plug and it boiling as soon as it hits the plug. Another question I have is how can you properly break a engine in with a centax clutch? To get the car to move you have to be at a high rpm and I didnt think that was good for engine break in. The high and low speed needles I havent touched, they are the way they come from the factory. Also I know this isnt good but Im breaking the engine in on my starter box. i dont have smooth asplhalt around me except my track. Any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana
I have a kyosho v1rrr. Im in the process of breaking in my engine which is a o.s.12 tz eb mods. Im on my second tank the first tank I just let the engine idle. The second Im starting to roll the throttle not punch it. My problem is after I roll the throttle and return to idle it is starting to idle wildly, like reving high when the engine gets warm. I dont have a temp gun I usually just rely on performance and sound and smoke, but I did the spit test on the glow plug and it boiling as soon as it hits the plug. Another question I have is how can you properly break a engine in with a centax clutch? To get the car to move you have to be at a high rpm and I didnt think that was good for engine break in. The high and low speed needles I havent touched, they are the way they come from the factory. Also I know this isnt good but Im breaking the engine in on my starter box. i dont have smooth asplhalt around me except my track. Any suggestions?
follow these steps for your engine break in
http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/break-in/index.php

the worst thing you can do is let the motor idle it does more harm than good!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Do you really break in your engines that way? how long do you hold it fully opened for
Old 02-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana
Do you really break in your engines that way? how long do you hold it fully opened for
yes i do. hold it fully opened for the entire tank, you have to let the motor get up to temperature,having it very rich,the motor will not be revving that high
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Should I richen the high speed needle more than what it is now? Should there still be fuel spitting out the the exhaust? Could you be a little more specific. Thanks for the help
Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Tech Master

You can do that method or you can just put the thing on the ground and play with it . Either way you will get heat into the engine.

Sounds to me you have a high idle and a low fuel pressure.

Check all your pressure lines and fuel cap for leaks, check that the pressure nozzle on your pipe is not blocked with tig dags ,

Whats happening is you have a high idle to keep the engine running when rich, when you release the throttle to neutral there is a lack of pressure to return fuel flow. I would firstly lean HSN 1/4 turn , Lower the idle 2/8 , and then see what it does.
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Tech Champion

it idles fine when I first start it and roll the throttle. It starts to idle high when the engine warms up and after I rev the engine and return the throttle to the neutral position
Old 02-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

could also be a air leak..

with the engine warmed up get some methylated spirits and spray it at the base of the carb, exhaust area and where the plug is plus under the engine head and see if you get a sudden drop in engine sounds..

set the engine to default tune.. 1 3/4 turns top end and the bottom end flush with carb face.. i do not think the Wide open throttle is good on the tz because the sleeve/piston fitting is very tight from factory.

idle one tank then drive the car on the street with a slightly rich setting. run one tank then shut the negine off letting it cool between tanks. make sure piston is at bottom..

as you go thru tanks you will notice the engine getting richer so start to lean 1/8 a turn with each tank..
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

hey mark (massive mods) how you doing mate? the os .21 you modded for me is a screamer massive difference to when it was stock thanks!!

do u still have the engine run in method on your site?? thats what i used to run in the .21
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
Tech Master

Hey john great to hear !

here iit

http://www.massivemods.com/Feedback/...ee02fb5a23e3ff
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:05 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgsr
hey mark (massive mods) how you doing mate? the os .21 you modded for me is a screamer massive difference to when it was stock thanks!!
The reason the .21 has a Massive difference in power is that it has been Massive Modded