OS carb experiment - can this work???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS carb experiment - can this work???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Post OS carb experiment - can this work???

Ok Guys,

I have had it up to my neck with the carb coming loose from the insulator on both my OS engines.

I have tried the recommended epoxy, still comes loose. CA Glue, still comes loose. Krazy Glue (last longest) but still comes loose.

I am actually thinking of trying an experiment and using the carb from off an old TRX 2.5 engine I have which is all composite. I know this stay in place, but will I be able to tune the engine since there is no mid range needle?

Let me know your comments please.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Use RED RTV = Silicone. Very little at the top of the neck. You also know your supposed to tighten the carb on the motor via the screw or nut on the side. This should help secure it. Make sure that mechanism is function correct with the carb off the motor.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Use RED RTV = Silicone. Very little at the top of the neck. You also know your supposed to tighten the carb on the motor via the screw or nut on the side. This should help secure it. Make sure that mechanism is function correct with the carb off the motor.
Let me explain... The bolt to hold the carb in place is tight and the plastic insulator is snug in place. The aluminum barrel of the carb is what keeps seperating from the insulator itself while the insulator stays locked in place by the carb bolt.

I need to find a way to keep the insulator from seperating from the carb itself.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have been using the long cure JB weld. Not the 5 min stuff because it said that it can't take the heat like the slow cure can.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Tech Rookie

From what I remember they do sell replacement Insulator.
I would start with a new one and use RTV, remember don't crank it down too tight because they do crack and leak right where the pinch bolt is located.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When you've tried all the recommended glue/epoxy to make the insulator stay and you're still having problems, try looking at your endpoint settings on your throttle servo as well. This is a common problem I've seen a number of times. The throttle servo (especially when you have one of the better ones) actually pulls the carburetor when the throw more than what it's supposed to. Check to see if your endpoint is set right. It should open the carb all the way but that's it. Any more beyond this point can pull the carb. Same thing with the brakes. If it's way too much, the servo can also bend the idle screw (but that's a whole another issue).
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Loctite 406 is the answer !

Had the exact same problem as you...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 AM
Tech Addict

that 406 is great stuff... cant say i have experienced that problem on my OS motor yet... but they do sell new insulators as someone already mentioned, try a new one!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Guys, for all the advice.

Thanks SP Racer I will give the Loctite 406 a try. You raised a good point Jo Gutierrez but with the high torque S9550 servos I use, this is already something I check very meticulously. I make sure the slide barrel is just past or maybe even flush with the intake bore of the carb for my EPA.

IMslow, yes they do sell replacement insulators and to date I have bought about 6. Every time using a new one.

The Doctor, if the loctite don't work, I will give this a try. Although knowing the brand, it should.