R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Is 4 Tec w/ 3.3 good buy!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/151632-4-tec-w-3-3-good-buy.html)

gofastrlbrown 02-26-2007 09:07 PM

Is 4 Tec w/ 3.3 good buy!!!

Is this car as fast as they say? Does the electric start actually work? I race electric but I was wanting a speed demon to goof off with. 70 mph out of the box? How reliable is the car.
Gofastrlbrown

Dredd 02-26-2007 09:45 PM

I have one and it's ok. The problem I find with it is the chassis is crowded. To replace a part takes alot of work. Also The ezstart system does have flaws. Your battery could have enough charge to spin the motor but not enough to light the glow plug enough. Also The radio system and servos are not very good (most any RTR will have similar radio systems though). Some parts that may break are almost impossible to find as well. The biggest flaw out of the box is the junk tires and the brake system. Both are inadequate for a car with that much power.

GHETTOTEACHER 02-27-2007 08:00 AM

Way back in the day I had one. I do have a 06 Revo with the 3.3. As for the 4Tec being a good beater, yes. I have to agree about the fact that parts are kinda hard to replace. The car when tuned right will run hard and fast. The bad part about a 4Tec is turning. The car runs great as long as it dosen't have to turn. As for hitting 70, it is not hard to make the car do that, but controling it is another story.
The ez-start works well. If you are just going to bash with it, keep the system. It needs a seperate battery for the power unit. It's a good lazy man high speed rc car.

BIGTACO 02-27-2007 02:23 PM

Beware of a car whos main selling point is its top speed...

Marcos.J 02-27-2007 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by gofastrlbrown
Is this car as fast as they say? Does the electric start actually work? I race electric but I was wanting a speed demon to goof off with. 70 mph out of the box? How reliable is the car.
Gofastrlbrown

if you just want to go up and down the street or local parking lot it would be ok,but thats its good for.

rcfoolz 02-27-2007 02:34 PM

good car for drag racing, but don't expect to race it. It does not turn well. I placed mine in the trash can after about a month........I got tired of fixing it.

Marcos.J 02-27-2007 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
good car for drag racing, but don't expect to race it. It does not turn well. I placed mine in the trash can after about a month........I got tired of fixing it.

lol

Dredd 02-27-2007 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rcfoolz

There's these 2 guys that come out to the local track which is open to the public to practice on 24/7. They swear up and down that their 4tec is so uber and they can hang with ppl who run Mugen and Kyosho. It's rather annoying because this claim comes from the fact that they utterly DESTROY their car in most turns or bump a guy off in the straights and think it's funny. I avoid them like the plague whenever I can. When I'm trying to get some serious practice in with my car which I spent already over $1000 on, I don't need some guy running into me because he lives by the idea of "that's racing". Last time I checked most places frown on people who do that.

Anyway to make my point, they can't hang with ppl who run a real car at the track. The 4tec doesn't stop when you need it to and the balance is all off so it turns like a bus.

To give you a better idea of what these guys are about. You ever seen someone bring a car out that has 2 lbs of dirt on it, has never seen a rag cleaning it off, and is rigged together and runs so bad they're lucky to keep it from stalling out after it heats up within a couple laps? Oh and the body...cracks, wing broken off, never cleaned too.