Wiki Posts
Search

Which RTR car for ~$300 or less?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Great info. in the last few post should not be that hard to make a choice considering the info. given good luck on your choice.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys, looks like I am going to go with the Kyosho or the Team Magic G4. Right now there are a few Team Magic G4S kits for sale for $325. If I get the kit, how much additional do I need to spend?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Rookie

I forgot to mention I may also look at buggies now, I am really into cars though and love some of the bodies on the on road cars. I plan to display them somewhere in my house if I get into this and the collection grows.

Also, do I need special tools to work on these cars? If so, where can I find a nice set?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mvolps22
I forgot to mention I may also look at buggies now, I am really into cars though and love some of the bodies on the on road cars. I plan to display them somewhere in my house if I get into this and the collection grows.

Also, do I need special tools to work on these cars? If so, where can I find a nice set?
You can buy hobby specific tools from Hudy and EDS. They're pricey though. Basically you need a set of metric allens, a few different sizes of phillips and flat head screwdrivers, exacto knives (for trimming plastic and bodies etc), some Hobby scissors, and that is just about it. You don't have to buy hobby specific tools if you don't want to. They do offer more torque than you can usually get with a standard allen set, but it's not vital.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Well please give me some feedback on the idea. Team Magic has RTR's that are based race cars. The G4S RTR being one ( and maybe another in the future?? ) that is the same chassis and parts as our pro kit. Of course some of the expensive carbon fibre parts are replaced to keep these kits pricing affordable. The concept of the TM G4S RTR kits is to introduce the hobby to those who either haven't been in the hobby or have had some of the toy cars mentioned already mentioned above. These people now want a more competitive car so they can move into racing at their local hobby shop track or other racing venue in their area as well as play in a localsmooth parking lot. Here is the big thing with the Team Magic RTR's! These cars can be upgrade to a full blown pro kit without having throw out their investment made to purchase a pro kit. These RTR's will grow with the owners ability.

Pricing on these RTR's (Street) are $425.00 with everything including a .12 legal engine and legal pipe. There may be upcoming promotions where with a purchase of the kit a free strater box with be given, or a special price on one also to help the new interested Hobbyist. Therefore these can be toy cars, and the best on the market, or they can be the car that started to be a toy car but now has moved to the Racing ranks!!!

Does this make sense to you new hobbyist interested in getting into this hobby and possibly racing! Better to have an investment you don't throw away but just build upon???

Now here's the next interesting thing. What if there were a race series for the TM G4S RTR's throughout the US with a big race at the end of the Year. The racing throughout the US would have have the support of the manufacture Team Magic.

So we have a RTR that you can play with .... race with... grow with..... and have a formatted race program to race others that have your same ability!!!

Does this make Team Magic G4S RTR's sound good for the beginner. I don't care if you are a hobby store, a racer now, or a new hobbyist that this thread is all about... If a manufacture stepped up and made it fun for everyone involved... would we get more hobbyist into the onroad scene ( and would that help keep on road tracks alive??).... and would or does this make it more interesting for the new hobbyist???

Let er fly guys... looking for feedback here... negative if you have to...but looking for feedback that would encourage more on roaders as well!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Default RTR

Originally Posted by Ed Delgado
I agree. I work in a hobby shop and deal with this everyday. We sell all three cars listed. This would be my advice to you:

The most important thing is to go and see what car your LHS sells AND stocks parts for. This way you don't have to order your spare parts online.

At my store we sell all three models listed above and the cheapest out the door is the Kyosho FW-05+. We sell it for $279.99, and most versions come with fuel bottle and a cheap igniter. All you need extra is your fuel and 8 AA and 2 D batteries. Just make sure you get the "Plus" version-it comes with valuable upgrades like alum. shocks and front cvd axles. Plus it comes with really nice bodies!

The Nitro TC3 is a good car too-it is based on Associated's race car of the same name. Probably cheaper to upgrade this car later to a rear exhaust .12 engine (on the Kyosho FW05 you have to upgrade the clutch and 2 speed to do this). The Nitro TC3 also comes with an igniter and fuel bottle. Just add fuel and batteries. Ugly body though.

The HPI car is the most expensive because you need to purchase a 7.2 volt stick pack ($14-$20) and charger ($30-$40) as well as a fuel bottle and glo-plug igniter (about $25 alltogether). It is also the worst handling of the three as it is not based on a racing-type touring car chassis chassis (flexible suspension components=more forgiving in a crash. Basically add $100 to price of car for accesories and fuel.

I would probably go with the Kyosho for the good handling, low price and really nice bodies-especially the Ferrari's and BMW M3GTR. Just remember that the engine has a pull-start-if you flood the engine and the pull strater gets hard to pull, DONT'T KEEP PULLING-you'll break the pull start cord (the pull starter is not covered by the warranty!). Just remove glo-plug, pinch off the fuel line, turn car upside down and then pull the starter cord a few times to remove excess fuel.

Stay away from the Inferno GT RTR. Expensive to upgrade (at least engine wise)and very few body choices.
Ed I hear you about the expence of the engine upgrace for the Interno GT RTR but the car is based on the Buggy and is stronger than any 10th scale, has no belts and its size is great for street racing & bashing don't you think?

Look at how many of the Miami street racers are hitting insane top speeds with the car, it wont fly into a kit at top speed if it hits a pebble on the road.

Since its like the same chassis as the Off Road buggy, it would most likely survive a "cartwheel" in the same way a buggy can. Not too many 10th scale sedans will keep going after one of those stunts.

I only endorse it for Rally & Street racing/bashing because a friend of mine has one and I've gotten away with some wild stuff with it and it kept on going. Add to the fact that you can get a Werks .21 B3 or B7 that will make it scream for about what a decent .12 will cost, why not go big for street?

The car has a 2 speed and my buddy's cranks out some sick top speed with a B7 in it.

Now if a newbee intends to race in a "Class" at the track with is thats another story.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by G4S'er
Well please give me some feedback on the idea. Team Magic has RTR's that are based race cars. The G4S RTR being one ( and maybe another in the future?? ) that is the same chassis and parts as our pro kit. Of course some of the expensive carbon fibre parts are replaced to keep these kits pricing affordable. The concept of the TM G4S RTR kits is to introduce the hobby to those who either haven't been in the hobby or have had some of the toy cars mentioned already mentioned above. These people now want a more competitive car so they can move into racing at their local hobby shop track or other racing venue in their area as well as play in a localsmooth parking lot. Here is the big thing with the Team Magic RTR's! These cars can be upgrade to a full blown pro kit without having throw out their investment made to purchase a pro kit. These RTR's will grow with the owners ability.

Pricing on these RTR's (Street) are $425.00 with everything including a .12 legal engine and legal pipe. There may be upcoming promotions where with a purchase of the kit a free strater box with be given, or a special price on one also to help the new interested Hobbyist. Therefore these can be toy cars, and the best on the market, or they can be the car that started to be a toy car but now has moved to the Racing ranks!!!

Does this make sense to you new hobbyist interested in getting into this hobby and possibly racing! Better to have an investment you don't throw away but just build upon???

Now here's the next interesting thing. What if there were a race series for the TM G4S RTR's throughout the US with a big race at the end of the Year. The racing throughout the US would have have the support of the manufacture Team Magic.

So we have a RTR that you can play with .... race with... grow with..... and have a formatted race program to race others that have your same ability!!!

Does this make Team Magic G4S RTR's sound good for the beginner. I don't care if you are a hobby store, a racer now, or a new hobbyist that this thread is all about... If a manufacture stepped up and made it fun for everyone involved... would we get more hobbyist into the onroad scene ( and would that help keep on road tracks alive??).... and would or does this make it more interesting for the new hobbyist???

Let er fly guys... looking for feedback here... negative if you have to...but looking for feedback that would encourage more on roaders as well!
This is what I alluded to before. This car is great for the reasons mentioned above. The biggest selling point for me would be it's 100% race legal out of the box. So you don't have to worry about anything not conforming to IFMAR/EFRA/ROAR standards and rules. I have owned a G4S RTR and it was a super great car, but I ended up selling it to someone who wanted to get into the hobby for the first time and also thought about racing it. That's the biggest feature of this car over any of the others mentioned above.

Just a FYI: If you buy the G4S RTR at the $325 price you mentioned above mvolps22 you will probably need to spend about $90 on a starterbox and you will also need batteries for the starter box which usually requires 2 7.2volt sport packs which can range anywhere from about $20 to $40 depending on the miliamp rating, $20-$30 on a gallon of good fuel and be sure to get a good brand like Maxy's, Byron's, Werks etc. (i'd use 20% nitro for now), ~$20 on a glow igniter, $5 or so on some after-run oil (marvel mystery oil works good for me $3.99 at an auto parts shop), ~$10 on a pint of foam air filter oil (I use Bel-Ray foam filter oil from a motorcycle shop), and you will need batteries. You can either buy normal alkaline batteries or buy some NiMH rechargable batteries with a charger which will run you about $60 or so. After that you only need to buy tires every so often which can be had for relatively cheap prices online (Racedayhobbies.com sells K-Factory tires for around $9 per pair). So all in all you're looking at about $285 over your initial investment of the car in order to get started and have what you need for maintenance. This doesn't include any supplies for cleaning after you are done with your car for the day.

Before you say "that's expensive" think about this. Any other car you buy be it a 4Tec, HPI RS4 Evo3, Associated NTC3, Ofna CD3 or GPX4 etc. will require everything I mentioned above with the exception of a starter box. So after adding it all together it's not really much more expensive.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Kyosho FW 05Tplus my #1 choice
the following like FW can be upgraded to Pro Car;

Hobao/Ofna GPX4 RTR Belt Drive
Team Magic G4S RTR Belt Drive.

Also consider availability and price for spare parts from local Hobby Shop or online. I own both GPX4 and FW05. Factory set up on FW spot on. You will need set up station to get best out of GPX4 and experience. Good luck
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default RTR

The guy that started this thread made a statement in the beginning.

“I only plan on running it in parking lots and my little cul-de-sac, no racing or anything”.

The whole “upgradable to race” thing is mute.

His best choice is one of the RTR .21 Rally cars. Everything else will break and fly into a “kit” if running in a “cul-de-sac”

He wants to have fun and “bash”, all out race cars will not be good for his type of RC use.

Matt, you need durability and Buggy based On Road cars fit your needs.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jspeed

“I only plan on running it in parking lots and my little cul-de-sac, no racing or anything”.

His best choice is one of the RTR .21 Rally cars. Everything else will break and fly into a “kit” if running in a “cul-de-sac”

He wants to have fun and “bash”, all out race cars will not be good for his type of RC use.

It's not moot because you wouldn't believe how many people I see buying cheapo RTR cars then find out there's a track close by and want to "race". I just see what happens around here and base my judgements on that.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jspeed

Thanks for your valued opinion.....
Old 03-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dredd
It's not moot because you wouldn't believe how many people I see buying cheapo RTR cars then find out there's a track close by and want to "race". I just see what happens around here and base my judgements on that.
I see always the opposite. Guys by the top dollar kits and never end up racing them and they bash them on the street a few times. Never to be heard from again.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I see always the opposite. Guys by the top dollar kits and never end up racing them and they bash them on the street a few times. Never to be heard from again.
I haven't seen that myself, but I can definately see it happening.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

I have noticed that not only on this thread and others that some posts are getting a bit personal. This hobby can be very addictive and some people it appears forget that everyone is trying to help. Have a good think about comments made and the way you present yourself as the whole world is watching. Be cool everyone as this hobby doesn't need to be for a select few. Everyone has experiences to share, whether going slightly off tangent or not. People also change their minds based on feedback.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ahmmm.. i might get some bad response..

but do consider a CEN CT5... its a bit.. over 300 USD.. but.. it can race (parking lot...) out of the box.

all you need is a nitro starter pack..

one of the best controllers out there on the RTR market..

i own one.. its stinking fast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.