Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Lower Center of Gravity.....How important? >

Lower Center of Gravity.....How important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lower Center of Gravity.....How important?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Lower Center of Gravity.....How important?

I've been toying with lowering the center of gravity, what about using steel lower pivot balls instead of titanium ones? And using steel screws instead of titanium ones?

Last edited by rcfoolz; 02-24-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

On this topic, do these different screws actually have any noticeable difference in handling in terms of weight and CG?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_catman
On this topic, do these different screws actually have any noticeable difference in handling in terms of weight and CG?
i heard if you use white lexan paint it will lower the cg more than dark colors
Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
That's a good one.

Seriously though...

Most people consider shifting weight from the top of the chassis to the bottom of a chassis a good thing. If you car is underweight, then using steel pivot balls and steel screws on the bottom of the chassis makes sense. If your car is already at weight, I certainly wouldn't recommend adding more weight just to lower the CG.

Can anyone tell the difference? I think the cliché, "every little bit counts" factors into the equation, weather you notice a difference or not. A little bit here, a little bit there and before you know it, you've shaved half a second off your lap time.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Every little bit does count. Every change you make to these cars has an effect due to the laws of physics. Now whether extremely minor changes like different weight screws will have an effect on overall performance of the car, probably not enough to warrant the time or money. The best investment you can make is not trying to improve the already incredible engineering of our modern RCs, but rather practicing at the track. Learn to drive what you have, better. Take better lines. Learn to get the most out of your engine. Work on passing, setting up the car, ect ect...

my 2.5 cents
Old 02-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Tech Elite

deleted
Old 02-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
deleted
whats deleted
Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Youll want to leave the Ti pivot balls and this reduces the unsprung weight on the suspension. AKA the suspension can now do its work more efficiently without as much weight acting upon it.

The steel screws at bottom is an idea though. Only way to find out is probably do it and see if you can tell the difference. Another one is placing weights right on the chassis or getting a thicker or heavier chassis.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGTACO
Every little bit does count. Every change you make to these cars has an effect due to the laws of physics. Now whether extremely minor changes like different weight screws will have an effect on overall performance of the car, probably not enough to warrant the time or money. The best investment you can make is not trying to improve the already incredible engineering of our modern RCs, but rather practicing at the track. Learn to drive what you have, better. Take better lines. Learn to get the most out of your engine. Work on passing, setting up the car, ect ect...

my 2.5 cents
That hit the nail right on the head. If you want something to do; learn how your roll center has an effect on the center of gravity
Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dr_catman
whats deleted
I read the Hudy setup guide and that let me to thinking about adjustments that my car didn't have. So, that let to a LOT of mods to my car that change or help center of gravity/roll center.. One of those came from a Mugen team driver, but the rest are of my thoughts. It isn't screws or stuff like that, but I'm testing this coming weekend at Kissimmee all the changes to the car. I have several more things that I would like to change, but I'm not sure I should be making all the changes, or any changes at all as far as that goes.

I don't want to go into detail about the mods here till I know what does and doesn't work. My goal is to be able to be able to carry more speed into the corners and give the car more cornering speed all the way through, like my pan car does.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

I read the Hudy setup guide and that let me to thinking about adjustments that my car didn't have. So, that let to a LOT of mods to my car that change or help center of gravity/roll center.. One of those came from a Mugen team driver, but the rest are of my thoughts. It isn't screws or stuff like that, but I'm testing this coming weekend at Kissimmee all the changes to the car. I have several more things that I would like to change, but I'm not sure I should be making all the changes, or any changes at all as far as that goes.

I don't want to go into detail about the mods here till I know what does and doesn't work. My goal is to be able to be able to carry more speed into the corners and give the car more cornering speed all the way through, like my pan car does.
its all in the set up James
Old 02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

yes, setup, but is making options that I didn't have before, for doing setups to possibly to make the car better?

Last edited by rcfoolz; 02-25-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

yes, setup, but is it possible to make the car better?
you can always get one of these for your motor
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...chmentid=64467
Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

No ALIEN heads!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.