R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default MTX-4 4mm chassis

Which brand of the 4mm chassis does everybody recommend for the MTX-4? I guess mugen's 4mm chassis is the most expensive. The aftermarket ones seems to be considerably cheaper.

-- Wario
wario69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wario69
Which brand of the 4mm chassis does everybody recommend for the MTX-4? I guess mugen's 4mm chassis is the most expensive. The aftermarket ones seems to be considerably cheaper.

-- Wario
I once purchased a 3racing ntc3 chassis it was rock solid. the only problem was the holes for the chassis components
where out of place I wound up shimming all 4 a-arms to get rid of the slop. Thats why I like to buy the factory original; the only aftermaket chassis I would buy would be the Kawahara maybe?
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wario69

-- Wario
Don't settle nothing but the original. buy the original 4 mm Mugen chassis it is worth the money.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The Mugen 4mm chassis is great and is milled out for the bulkhead to sit lower. Kawahara has a 4mm chassis the same (milled out). 3Racing 4mm chassis is not milled out, so everything sits an extra 1mm high. Nice and stong, just the CG is higher.
Powered by Nosram motors and FX engines.
Many thanks to HEI and Perth RC for their support over the years.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

kawahara will be releasing a "multiflex" chassis for the 4. wait for this. all the benefits fo the 3mm chassis with the ability to make it stiff like the 4mm.

it uses onboard chassis stiffeners which you can put in and take out, much like the new xray NT1 chassis will have

Last edited by TomB; 02-23-2007 at 07:25 AM.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #6

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Since my car is pretty lightweight already (just a few lw option parts). Ive opted for the 4mm 3racing chassis. The price is great , the quality is good and it helps put the weight underneath the car more. Where I then lightened the top of the car via the drivetrain , screws , pivot balls. Which all helps reduce unsprung weight in the suspension and drivetrain. Which helps it perform better.

The only good thing about other high dollar 4mm chassis is there lighter. But with the car already being so light and me having to add weight to it to make it legal. Im sticking with the 3racing chassis for now. If I went with the mugen or kawahara or b-tech chassis. Id have to put more weight on the car and it would all be above the chassis so. I think the route I went with was best , as well the cheapest. The mugen and kawahara chassis alone would have removed my budget for buying the parts that made the chassis lightweight in the first place.

This is also my 2nd 3racing chassis on my 2nd vehicle. Everything is perfect. They bevel the sides for chassis dip , they cut the engine hole to direct wind to the crankcase. Its very solid and stiff. Works for me.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I know that the old Kawahara 4mm chassis was not as stiff as a stock Mugen 3mm chassis.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Hey Doc! IMO, the Kawa 4mm is stiffer than stock. Speaking through experience, even the Kawa 3mm is just slightly stiffer than stock.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I twisted both at the shop and didn't feel the same way. I thought that the stock 3mm Mugen was stiffer. My 2 cents.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote