R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default What Really Makes a Car Better?

I always hear, this car works better on this track and this car works better on another. For example, I always heard that the serpent works better on high byte tracks and the kyosho works better on mid to low byte tracks (for example the worlds in brazil was a low traction situation). Now, what is really different between these cars. Shocks, a arms, droop setting--- they are all the same. For example, the shocks on a serpent and kyosho are physically different but they both can be adjusted to have the same softness/stiffness. So, in my opinion, the differences in the handling comes down to the chasis itself. Basically, the serpent must work better on high byte tracks because it has a slightly stiffer chasis than the kyosho (stock versus stock). So basically, the chasis is the key to these cars. Other than that, all cars are equal. My 2 cents. What do you guys think?
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemugen
I always hear, this car works better on this track and this car works better on another. For example, I always heard that the serpent works better on high byte tracks and the kyosho works better on mid to low byte tracks (for example the worlds in brazil was a low traction situation). Now, what is really different between these cars. Shocks, a arms, droop setting--- they are all the same. For example, the shocks on a serpent and kyosho are physically different but they both can be adjusted to have the same softness/stiffness. So, in my opinion, the differences in the handling comes down to the chasis itself. Basically, the serpent must work better on high byte tracks because it has a slightly stiffer chasis than the kyosho (stock versus stock). So basically, the chasis is the key to these cars. Other than that, all cars are equal. My 2 cents. What do you guys think?
Eventhough all cars might look alike to the simple eye in their concept, there are differences in materials, balance, CG, and most of all in dimensions and geometry of suspension design which make a particular brand to function and feel different than others.....it's the same as Formula one cars...they look alike but on the track function very different between them...some even design the chassis around the brand of tyre they use.....I think it is a very complex question as is the complexity of any Rc car.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
Eventhough all cars might look alike to the simple eye in their concept, there are differences in materials, balance, CG, and most of all in dimensions and geometry of suspension design which make a particular brand to function and feel different than others.....it's the same as Formula one cars...they look alike but on the track function very different between them...some even design the chassis around the brand of tyre they use.....I think it is a very complex question as is the complexity of any Rc car.

AFM
yes, i do agree with you. and you made an iteresting point that i never thought of, the part about the tires. you figure, the designers that do the r and d are using either their own or their endorsed tires, so they probably would work best for that particular car.

thanks,
joe
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In stock form, chassis stiffness due to chassis thickness and brace/s (some cars have one, some have two braces left and right). This alone make a big difference in handling. Chassis flex generally help gain traction on a low to mid traction track. The stiff chassis is needed for high bite tracks to get the car to roll through the corners better.

And I gotta add that this should be the reason why companies are coming out with a chassis that is "adjustable" to get the stiffness or softness needed on a particular race.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most of these cars are only similar in layout.

Wheel base, Arm lenght, pivot points, Axle sweep, will change the feel of a car

The more obvious difference would be sway bar length and points on the arm.
CG, and roll center points. One brands low center is the midle point on some other brands.

Most of these cars has so much adjustments that they will work in most situations but not the same.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #6

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Another thing is the layout of the parts themselves. Ive never compared a 720 to a RRR , but there are slight differences all around and probably even more unseen ones. Such as Gas tank more centered on one while another offsets the weight of a part with its gas tank , while another could have a low cg tank. Battery placement is a big thing as well as servo placement and engine placement.

This alone could change grip levels as well as the chassis overall stiffness. Id think the rest would be similiar , -2 camber is probably the same on another chassis , as long as there setup the same. Then there you go , but in that one chassis to another the same setup wont work the same.

So its probably a luck thing with a certain weight setup you need a certain chassis setup and therefore this nets you a chassis that might favor a certain type of track then the other.

So this all sounds feasible.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I actually asked this when I was looking around at some different cars before I decided what i wanted. The answer I got was simple...

"If you can't drive, it won't matter what car you have."

I got a good laugh. I'm assuming the opposite is true. "If you can drive, it shouldn't matter what car you have." Since you can set it up to feel good to you.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

+1
Old 02-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
...... "If you can drive, it shouldn't matter what car you have." Since you can set it up to feel good to you.
But then...... "when you can drive", you really can feel the differences between different brands, even when each one is set-up to your liking...and that's the fun part of this hobby...you never are satisfied or stationary on one particular brand or model within a brand...the downside of it is that it makes a hole in your wallet...jejejejeje

AFM
Old 02-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
But then...... "when you can drive", you really can feel the differences between different brands, even when each one is set-up to your liking...and that's the fun part of this hobby...you never are satisfied or stationary on one particular brand or model within a brand...the downside of it is that it makes a hole in your wallet...jejejejeje

AFM
Ahh, but you see if the car is good for you then you can take it to the limits of your ability. You can basically do this with any car.

My theory is you can give any of the top drivers a free car and tell them to set it up how they want and race it. They should still perform well even with the different car right?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
..the downside of it is that it makes a hole in your wallet...jejejejeje

AFM
Heck, the pocket gets burned even with one car maintainin it
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
..."If you can't drive, it won't matter what car you have."

I got a good laugh. I'm assuming the opposite is true. "If you can drive, it shouldn't matter what car you have." Since you can set it up to feel good to you.

+2
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Ahh, but you see if the car is good for you then you can take it to the limits of your ability. You can basically do this with any car.

My theory is you can give any of the top drivers a free car and tell them to set it up how they want and race it. They should still perform well even with the different car right?
Sure they will perform good on any car....but then it would be nice if they could tell us which one they liked the best and why....or what they liked best of every car and what don't.....imagine an honest non biased consumer's report on every top kit out there done by the 10 top drivers in the world, regardless of the brand they work for......Utopia.

AFM
Old 02-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
Sure they will perform good on any car....but then it would be nice if they could tell us which one they liked the best and why....or what they liked best of every car and what don't.....imagine an honest non biased consumer's report on every top kit out there done by the 10 top drivers in the world, regardless of the brand they work for......Utopia.

AFM
Yeah, but that's not how it works

So we're left to pick and choose "hey look what just won x race" and you automatically want that car, engine and setup.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm

AFM
It would be good, but it would sill come down to indivdual taste. I think it is best for newbies, such as myself to stick to one good car and practice a lot with it in one good setup.

once this is mastered one can do a drastic change to one apsect of the setup at a time and see how this affects the cars handling.
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote