R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_catman
It would be good, but it would sill come down to indivdual taste. I think it is best for newbies, such as myself to stick to one good car and practice a lot with it in one good setup.

once this is mastered one can do a drastic change to one apsect of the setup at a time and see how this affects the cars handling.
That's what I was told by many people too. Set the car up neutral (basically book stock setup). Drive the car, learn the feel of the steering and the engine response. Then When you get more comfortable you will go faster and faster, taking turns harder and hitting the corners smoothly. When you taper off and don't go any faster then you can adjust one part of the car and observe how it handles. Maybe you go faster, maybe not. But you always have a baseline feel that way so you know your starting point.

I'm taking this advice and it's working wonderfully. Before I drive the car I know how the car felt on the stock neutral setup. Thus when something feels better and makes me get faster laps I know which direction to go for how I drive. If I go slower, I can always revert.

I guess the idea is that many people take a setup sheet from a top 10 driver and try to run it and can't go as fast. Then someone is faster and they use their setup and don't go as fast as them either. Point being, they never got used to the car for them and try to go with what feels good or works for someone else. This is ok, but I understand how sometimes one driver may not like the setup someone else TQs with.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #17
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
Yeah, but that's not how it works

So we're left to pick and choose "hey look what just won x race" and you automatically want that car, engine and setup.
Absolutely right......and the I woke up...end of dream, back to real life...jajajaja

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #18
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
I actually asked this when I was looking around at some different cars before I decided what i wanted. The answer I got was simple...

"If you can't drive, it won't matter what car you have."

I got a good laugh. I'm assuming the opposite is true. "If you can drive, it shouldn't matter what car you have." Since you can set it up to feel good to you.
Yup, the most important part of the car is the nut behind the wheel.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #19
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

So anyway I think that if you give someone a Serpent 720, Mugen MTX-4, Kyosho VOne RRR WCE, Xray NT1, or Team Magic G4s and any available hop-ups (titanium etc) and give them adequate time to get accustiomed to the car and set it up for the track, that they will do well with it. It just takes time.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #20
Tech Addict
 
dr_catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: My baby as an embryo
Posts: 605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
So anyway I think that if you give someone a Serpent 720, Mugen MTX-4, Kyosho VOne RRR WCE, Xray NT1, or Team Magic G4s and any available hop-ups (titanium etc) and give them adequate time to get accustiomed to the car and set it up for the track, that they will do well with it. It just takes time.
assuming they have hand eye coordination

and have played alot of playstation GT
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #21
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_catman
assuming they have hand eye coordination

and have played alot of playstation GT
hrm...then why do I suck still?

The hardest thing for me I think is engine tuning. Hard to get it just right.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #22
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default What really makes a car better

Here is a perfect example
One of the sponsored racers at the track was running the Khyosho RRR, and runs in the expert class. He is extremely good and fast.
This year he switched, and drives for Serpent and runs both 10 and 1/8 scale.
He is as fast with these cars as he was with the Kyosho.
Like it was said in the ealier post, a good driver can take just about any car, set it uo for his driving, and be just as good as he was before.
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #23
Tech Addict
 
dr_catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: My baby as an embryo
Posts: 605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358
Here is a perfect example
One of the sponsored racers at the track was running the Khyosho RRR, and runs in the expert class. He is extremely good and fast.
This year he switched, and drives for Serpent and runs both 10 and 1/8 scale.
He is as fast with these cars as he was with the Kyosho.
Like it was said in the ealier post, a good driver can take just about any car, set it uo for his driving, and be just as good as he was before.
The key phrase being the good driver will also know how to best setup, ie maximise the cars potential.
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #24
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
hrm...then why do I suck still?

The hardest thing for me I think is engine tuning. Hard to get it just right.
Dont worry about getting it perfect. Just tune it slightly rich if your unsure and make sure its finishing races and getting enough good power. After that you can just focus on the drive. Its much better and then once you get accustomed to the car , then its normally a better time to start tweaking the motor if you think power is holding you back.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #25
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358
Here is a perfect example
One of the sponsored racers at the track was running the Khyosho RRR, and runs in the expert class. He is extremely good and fast.
This year he switched, and drives for Serpent and runs both 10 and 1/8 scale.
He is as fast with these cars as he was with the Kyosho.
Like it was said in the ealier post, a good driver can take just about any car, set it uo for his driving, and be just as good as he was before.
Which leads to something I've allways believed....all the top level cars from Mugen, Serpent, Kyosho, Team Magic and now XRAY are very good and capable cars with the right set-up....It's the driver who makes the difference. You can't go wrong buying any of those brands, it just depends on how good support you have in your area with the selected brand.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #26
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Dont worry about getting it perfect. Just tune it slightly rich if your unsure and make sure its finishing races and getting enough good power. After that you can just focus on the drive. Its much better and then once you get accustomed to the car , then its normally a better time to start tweaking the motor if you think power is holding you back.
I know the basics but when it performs well it idles high and then when I fix idle it has performance issues. I'm just not very good at it yet. I'll get it.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic
 
Serpentd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Evans, CO. USA
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
I know the basics but when it performs well it idles high and then when I fix idle it has performance issues. I'm just not very good at it yet. I'll get it.
When it idles high, does it stay high or does it slow back down from anywhere between 3 to 15 seconds? If it stays high, it sounds as though your low speed needle is lean. If it idles high and then comes back down it's too rich on the lowend. This can get tricky sometimes.

An easy way to tell if your lean or rich on the low end setting is to pinch the fuel line an inch or so away from the carburator and listen to what the engine does in the next few secons. If it wants to die in the first 1-4 seconds or so you are lean. If it keeps idleing for over 7+ seconds then you are rich depending on how long it continues to idle. You should be able to pinch the fuel line and have it idle for about 5-6 seconds before it wants to die.

This method is just to get you close so that you are not adjusting you idle screw to compensate for say a rich mixture that makes your car idle high when you come in the pits. It's idleing high for awhile because it's burning off the extra fuel from the low end setting. After you get it close, then fine tune it with 1/16 or at the most 1/8th turn incriments. Make sure your high speed needle is adjusted properly first before you start tweaking the low end.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but something to consider. After it's tuned properly you should have a snappy punch and return to a normal idle every time. Good luck bro and I hope I didn't confuse you. Engine tuning takes patients when first learning and excperience all around to become effiecent at it. Take your time and ask others for assistance if your stumped. It can happen to even experienced racers. Keep us posted on how things are working out for you on your tuning. Later bro.
__________________
Blessed are the SIC
Serpentd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #28
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd
When it idles high, does it stay high or does it slow back down from anywhere between 3 to 15 seconds? If it stays high, it sounds as though your low speed needle is lean. If it idles high and then comes back down it's too rich on the lowend. This can get tricky sometimes.

An easy way to tell if your lean or rich on the low end setting is to pinch the fuel line an inch or so away from the carburator and listen to what the engine does in the next few secons. If it wants to die in the first 1-4 seconds or so you are lean. If it keeps idleing for over 7+ seconds then you are rich depending on how long it continues to idle. You should be able to pinch the fuel line and have it idle for about 5-6 seconds before it wants to die.

This method is just to get you close so that you are not adjusting you idle screw to compensate for say a rich mixture that makes your car idle high when you come in the pits. It's idleing high for awhile because it's burning off the extra fuel from the low end setting. After you get it close, then fine tune it with 1/16 or at the most 1/8th turn incriments. Make sure your high speed needle is adjusted properly first before you start tweaking the low end.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but something to consider. After it's tuned properly you should have a snappy punch and return to a normal idle every time. Good luck bro and I hope I didn't confuse you. Engine tuning takes patients when first learning and excperience all around to become effiecent at it. Take your time and ask others for assistance if your stumped. It can happen to even experienced racers. Keep us posted on how things are working out for you on your tuning. Later bro.
Didn't want to turn this into a tuning help thread. Like I said I got the basics but it's always just a bit off from the perfect spot.

Anyway I think we can agree that the best car is only as good as the tuning, setup, and driver.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #29
Tech Master
 
roadrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL.
Posts: 1,224
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

what really makes a car better is the driver.
__________________
Austin Wolfe
Serpent America-Trinity/Revtech-www.ActivRC.com
roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #30
Tech Addict
 
dr_catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: My baby as an embryo
Posts: 605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Yup, the most important part of the car is the nut behind the wheel.
Kinda like Earl...
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who makes this?? mdoffroad Electric Off-Road 11 10-07-2007 10:44 AM
Who makes this?? mdoffroad Electric On-Road 2 10-07-2007 07:54 AM
WHO MAKES ONE? Kings Kid Electric Off-Road 6 05-18-2006 08:14 AM
what makes um best. cyclone Electric On-Road 27 06-23-2005 06:24 AM
What makes a pan car a pan car ? Mr.Pink Electric On-Road 1 05-28-2005 08:43 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:41 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net