Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Better deal -- mtx-4 or rrr >

Better deal -- mtx-4 or rrr

Better deal -- mtx-4 or rrr

Reply

Old 02-21-2007, 04:02 PM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
wario69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 77
Default Better deal -- mtx-4 or rrr

Which is a better deal?

Mugen Seiki MTX-4 -- $339.99 @brooklynhobbies.com
I need get some hop-ups like the front universals etc.

or


Kyosho RRR Evo WCE Team (#31260b) -- $430.00 (Delivered). No hop-ups really needed.

I already got the RB Concepts Speedline Matrix RW .12 engine and the Skyline VR12 Plus pipe.

Which one would you guys go for? Brooklyn hobbies have the MTX-4 for this price for 1 or 2 more weeks.

-- Wario
wario69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,264
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

it totally depend on part aveilability for you.
I never run RRR before so I can't tell but MTX only need front CVD , Alu Wheel adaptor and 4mm shock tower to be ready. the cost add up will be about the same. so it is totally a flip of a coin if you can't decide
Car Breaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
  #3  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
wario69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 77
Default

Parts is not an issue in my area. Parts for both kits are easy to get. I've been thinking about this one all week. I better hurry if I'm to get the MTX-4.


-- Wario
wario69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
  #4  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Originally Posted by wario69
Which is a better deal?

Mugen Seiki MTX-4 -- $339.99 @brooklynhobbies.com
I need get some hop-ups like the front universals etc.

or


Kyosho RRR Evo WCE Team (#31260b) -- $430.00 (Delivered). No hop-ups really needed.

I already got the RB Concepts Speedline Matrix RW .12 engine and the Skyline VR12 Plus pipe.

Which one would you guys go for? Brooklyn hobbies have the MTX-4 for this price for 1 or 2 more weeks.

-- Wario
From what I've heard locally from people who have used both...the Kyosho is better in that it's easier to get it set right and feel comfortable. It took them more time to setup the Mugen to get the feel they wanted.

I have only the RRR so I can't comment on any comparison past what I've heard from people.
Dredd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Take your pick. Both cars are good out on the track. Ultimately, you are the deciding factor in your car's performance - not the cars themselves.

By the time you buy the universals (front/rear) and one-piece engine mount (you really need to get this) for the MTX-4, the price is about the same as the RRR. If you are going on price alone, it's the same.

It's much easier to install and remove the engine in the RRR, than it is in the MTX-4. This is the only issue I have with the car. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I own the RRR. Other issues I have with the car are minor.

Download the manual for both cars and take a look at how each one is put together. Although a lot of the parts look the same, the cars are engineered quite differently. Mechanically, each car has it's pros and cons from a wrenching perspective - but that doesn't really matter once the car is out on the track. It only matters when you have to fix something or do routine maintenance.

Hope this helps.
rmdhawaii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:38 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (84)
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,976
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default

I picked the mtx-4 simply because I moved from the MTX-3 prospec and alot of the parts can be carried over to the mtx-4. I never owned a RRR but I heard that out of the box the RRR rear end is a little looser than the MTX-4. And I really lost track of all the different models of the RRR. But don't get me wrong the RRR is a very competitive car
The bottom line would be local parts availablity and the price of the parts. I really don't have any info on the price difference in the replacement parts of the RRR vs MTX-4
lil-bump is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The reason the RRR is looser out of the box, is because it comes with a one-way and 30K diff oil for the rear. If you change to a front diff or solid, 30K front, 10K rear solves that problem real quick. If you stick with the one-way, 20K or 10K in the rear will tighten things up a bit but then you don't have any brakes. It just all depends on what type of track you're going to be racing on.

MTX-4 parts are cheaper - but it also depends on where you buy them.
rmdhawaii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
  #8  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

to be honest I drove both cars bone stock out of the box (not same engine) using the same tires and I found both of them to perform the same for me. Now I do tend to prefer to be slightly loose, but I didn't notice one or the other being overly so. I dunno maybe I'm not experienced enough to notice.
Dredd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:28 PM
  #9  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
wario69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 77
Default

Well, I decided to go with the MTX-4, I can't pass up on that low price. For now I plan on getting both front and rear Universals, one piece engine mount and a thicker rear tower. Now I really like Skyline's aftermarket parts. Can anybody tell me if any of the listed parts helps performance any or is it just useless "bling" that just adds weight and $$.

http://murnanmodified.com/index.php?cPath=22
Skyline Products



1. Alum Brake Arm for MTX-4 $10.00
2. Alum Brake Bracket for MTX-4 $15.00 XXXX
3. Alum Engine Brace for MTX-4 $10.00
4. Alum Front Bulkhead Cover $16.00
5. Alum Front Upper Roll Center mount for MTX-4 (1 pair) $20.00
6. Alum Mid Bearing Block for MTX-4 $15.00
7. Alum Rear Sway Bar Holders MT-MTX-408 Price $10.00


-- Wario
wario69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:50 PM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
itchy b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In My Man Cave
Posts: 4,144
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wario69
Well, I decided to go with the MTX-4, I can't pass up on that low price. For now I plan on getting both front and rear Universals, one piece engine mount and a thicker rear tower. Now I really like Skyline's aftermarket parts. Can anybody tell me if any of the listed parts helps performance any or is it just useless "bling" that just adds weight and $$.

http://murnanmodified.com/index.php?cPath=22
Skyline Products



1. Alum Brake Arm for MTX-4 $10.00
2. Alum Brake Bracket for MTX-4 $15.00 XXXX
3. Alum Engine Brace for MTX-4 $10.00
4. Alum Front Bulkhead Cover $16.00
5. Alum Front Upper Roll Center mount for MTX-4 (1 pair) $20.00
6. Alum Mid Bearing Block for MTX-4 $15.00
7. Alum Rear Sway Bar Holders MT-MTX-408 Price $10.00


-- Wario
I'm afraid that all those items are "Bling"
If you are after some items that can help in the performance side,
Number 1 would have to be the Kawahara blade type swaybar
2 Hollow 2 speed shaft ( lighter)
Titanium pillow balls and turnbuckles (Lighter)
Carbon side brace couldn't hurt
I also run a 3 racing light weight flywheel.
4 mm chassis could also be on the list if you run on a high bite track
other than these along with the ali wheel hexes, 4mm shock tower and uni's there isn't anything needed.
With all these items you will most likely be under weight for bigger racing events
itchy b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 AM
  #11  
Tech Addict
 
dr_catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: My baby as an embryo
Posts: 605
Default

Originally Posted by itchy b
I'm afraid that all those items are "Bling"
If you are after some items that can help in the performance side,
Number 1 would have to be the Kawahara blade type swaybar
2 Hollow 2 speed shaft ( lighter)
Titanium pillow balls and turnbuckles (Lighter)
Carbon side brace couldn't hurt
I also run a 3 racing light weight flywheel.
4 mm chassis could also be on the list if you run on a high bite track
other than these along with the ali wheel hexes, 4mm shock tower and uni's there isn't anything needed.
With all these items you will most likely be under weight for bigger racing events
CAn someone help me, what is this part meant to do and where on the car. Is for RRR called Side Stiffener. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Better deal -- mtx-4 or rrr-v3r030.jpg  
dr_catman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
itchy b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In My Man Cave
Posts: 4,144
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dr_catman
CAn someone help me, what is this part meant to do and where on the car. Is for RRR called Side Stiffener. Thanks.
If it is the same type as the Mtx4 part it links the rear bulkhead to the rear of the top deck.
It runs over the top of the clutch assembly and basicly stiffens the chassis across that area where the motor is mounted
itchy b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:59 AM
  #13  
Tech Elite
 
esham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: racing line - push to the limit
Posts: 2,942
Default

Yes and it an option for the plastic stiffener
Attached Thumbnails Better deal -- mtx-4 or rrr-side-stiffener.jpg  
esham is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 AM
  #14  
Tech Addict
 
dr_catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: My baby as an embryo
Posts: 605
Default

Originally Posted by esham
Yes and it an option for the plastic stiffener
Thanks guys, does it actually help anything ...sorry a bit naive here
dr_catman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:17 AM
  #15  
Tech Addict
 
dr_catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: My baby as an embryo
Posts: 605
Default

Originally Posted by esham
Yes and it an option for the plastic stiffener
Nice tracks you have there on you Perak RC racers. If we orang puteh come up from Singapore can we have a round?
dr_catman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service