R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Thanks guys, will try them out. Awesome.
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

I personally like to change the OD by way of changing the side gear.
Remember: smaller diameter tire wears faster than bigger ones.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand
So you start with OD or UD?
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:10 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand
Thats the whole point. Smaller front tires give the car better steering and handing in the corners. As they wear faster than bigger tires it gives a more even wear rate throughtout the run to keep the handling more consistent. You should run tests to get the best split for your track so that the rear tires never wear smaller than the fronts over a total run.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I like to run with a slight under drive. This seems to help with longer mains when the rear tires wear at a faster rate than the front. The rear tires give about 90% of forward accelaration. If towards the end of the race if the front tires are bigger than the rears you will have a ton of over drive. This will really kill your forward accelaration. The only time I really get aggressive with underdrive is when I use a softer shore tire in the rear when compared to the front. But alot of it has to do with driving style. If your the type that power slides the rear end you are going wear the rear tire down at a faster rate than the front.

Fabian K,
I believe your the one that kicked alot butt with the NTC3 In Brazil(national champion). So tell us your secrets are thinking of changing cars. BTW I never ran a tire split with the NTC3.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Fabian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_catman
I gues you answered my question fabian, not to use overdrive but use difference in tyre width. Thanks.

I think you may have misunderstood asw7576, i don't think he said to use overdrive, just get a copy of overdrive chart to compare ratios. Correct me if i am wrong.

but where to get the chart?
yes correct i m not use overdrive on drive train, but for me is better use just a little overdrive with difference on tires diameter, fronts just a little bigger- for faster laps

thanks
Fabian K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Yeah, I can't suggest anything about overdrive or underdrive coz it's personal driving style, preference and strategy. And why Fabian raise the issue if he is already know the answer, 15 years experiences, and winning the race ?

BTW, Here you go Dr. Catman. I also made OD calculator base on Microsoft Excell. Please feel free to modify the formula if you think my formula is not correct.

asw7576, like i told i never run cars with overdrive on drive train, and on my mind i think its not so good overdrive by the reasons that i posted here i really made this question for someone explaine to me the real function of overdrive , is for more steering on power??? for rear tires finish the race not too small ?????? etc....????????? because i wonder many suggest a overdrive using a tire split that make a car to turn back 1/1 or zero overdrive

Another poit if using overdrive with front oneway i can agree because you will have a 2wd on straight and 4wd on the rest of the track but this setup its difficult to see by the reasons of tire split drivers makes his cars

Thanks a lot
Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Get MTX4 Overdrive Chart to find the best setup for your car and for your driving style.

If you look at the OD chart, anything more than 1.000 for ex. 1.035 means the front tires are rotating faster than rear by 0.35% ( Overdrive ).

1.000 means front and rear tires are rotating at the same rate ( full time 4WD )

Anything less than 1.000 for ex. 0.985 means front tires is rotating slower than rear tires by 0.15% ( slightly 2WD or underdrive).
Just for clarification you are a decimal point off...... 1.035 means 3.5% overdrive and .985 means 1.5% underdive. 0.35% and 0.15% would be fun to set-up..... you'd be at .15% or maybe even 0.35% already with a small error in truing or measuring (even in hot laps before the race)
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump
I like to run with a slight under drive. This seems to help with longer mains when the rear tires wear at a faster rate than the front. The rear tires give about 90% of forward accelaration. If towards the end of the race if the front tires are bigger than the rears you will have a ton of over drive. This will really kill your forward accelaration. The only time I really get aggressive with underdrive is when I use a softer shore tire in the rear when compared to the front. But alot of it has to do with driving style. If your the type that power slides the rear end you are going wear the rear tire down at a faster rate than the front.

Fabian K,
I believe your the one that kicked alot butt with the NTC3 In Brazil(national champion). So tell us your secrets are thinking of changing cars. BTW I never ran a tire split with the NTC3.
lil-bump ,

yes you are correct i have a setup on Associated website after this you can use same setup but realese both swaybars front and rear will be better
also you can change the shock oil to 60wt on 4 shocks(on my setup was 50wt)

The Ntc3 is the best car handling that i have tried(awesome tha car is too old today) very good corner speed only problem sometimes is you cant use a regular ones exaust pipe system
like i told i start races with a rear tires bigger than the fronts 1 to 2mm due the rear tire wear so on few minutes after the start of the race i have a great balance until the end

for qualy i start with same diameter since on first lap you will have the fronts just a little bigger and the car will have just a little overdrive and the car for me is great handling
note on ntc3 the best performance for me is when you have zero overdrive on tires same diameter or just a little overdrive (fronts a little bigger)

I m surprise with NTC3 performance against new ones chassis, the project was awesome if you think the car has 6 , 7 years

Now i m trying a Mtx4 the car is very good also with the advantage of use regular pipe exaust system thats helps on engine performance

Thanks a lot lil-bump
Old 02-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From reading everyones posts not to many people are running over drive.

I have switched back and forth between the 24 and 25 sidepulley but I run the recomended split so that there is no overdrive on the car.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #26

I wonder why many racers use overdrive with split on tires on sedan cars like mugens kyosho serpents etc...

Please i want to know if someone can explaine me if i am wrong or what the advantages of overdrive????

Why do you ask for help on something that you are an EXPERT on, and post question (asking the topic to be explained), and when people tried to HELP and explain, you try to prove them wrong. To top it off, you have to say " i can say for sure you will have more equal car balance instead using overdrive because using overdrive you will have overdrive after a few minutes and a lot overdrive after this
I can say it for sure because I race for 15years and the car that I won many nitro 1/10 nationals on my country do not use(has) optional overdrive
"
Jumpship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpship
I wonder why many racers use overdrive with split on tires on sedan cars like mugens kyosho serpents etc...

Please i want to know if someone can explaine me if i am wrong or what the advantages of overdrive????

Why do you ask for help on something that you are an EXPERT on, and post question (asking the topic to be explained), and when people tried to HELP and explain, you try to prove them wrong. To top it off, you have to say " i can say for sure you will have more equal car balance instead using overdrive because using overdrive you will have overdrive after a few minutes and a lot overdrive after this
I can say it for sure because I race for 15years and the car that I won many nitro 1/10 nationals on my country do not use(has) optional overdrive
"
I am not EXPERT like you told i just have a small experience with R/C cars,nobody is EXPERT on the world we are always learning , so,
i think this forum are here to many drivers share his experiences like the name say " Forum " is a place to learn , teach and share ,so nobody unhappy could able to teach me in facts why overdrive pulley function was made by the factories (again; for more steering on power? or just to do the car finish the race without too small rear tires? or use smaller ones to handling better? or? or? or? or? or ?or ?or? or? or?or ????????????, each one just answer his own experiences like me, but nobody knows why exactly , all of the yours answers about handling changes by the overdrive are right but i just want to know the real fact .

Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
makes it a little tough to get fresh Dolma,no?...Or does the neighborhood have a middle eastern grocery store?...

Don't forget to eat your Pilaf...(makes you a better driver..)

Do you like Dolma , Pilaf , sarma , ???? its very good , i know there are a lot of armenians in US

Are you Armenian ?

A big Hug

Fabian
Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I run a split, and overdrive the front to compensate. The smaller dia fronts hit the sweetspot for front end geometry. And I dont like the way full size tires make the car feel. Smaller fronts make it feel less squishy entering corners.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M.
Heres the explanation that I got when I asked the same question. In theory the car will handle differently even though there is no real overdrive when you run the recomended split because the arm position will be different in the front with smaller tires. The surprising thing to me was when I ran my mugen with the 25 tooth pulley and 0 split as recomended in the manual I actualy got less steering than the 24 tooth pulley with 2.5 split. It does change the feel of the car. I disagree with the notion that running a tire split will be better for rear tire wear. I think tire wear in general has more to do with overall setup and driving style.
Hey Frances,
Good to see that you are still around! Now on the note about overdrive on sedans. I think there is one factor that has mentioned but i think will lend to a more concrete answer. I think that people need to look at overdrive as another tool in order to achieve a setup. Driving styles differ quite a bit from person to person. Once you introduce overdrive into the mix, now you have to contend with how much throttle do you use in your turns. On power steering is key to an overdrive setup. Again, I believe that overdrive is just simply another tool to allow certain types of drivers a method of drive their cars. You either use it in your driving style or you dont. I think the benefits and drawbacks to this have to be weighed on the individual and not as a whole.

BH
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote