R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #91
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical X
I mainly used GQ tires last season but at one point purchased about 10 full sets of these PMT tires in a 40 shore rating. From my experience, they performed the same as GQ-40's.

Granted last year was my first year of nitro racing so I probably couldn't distinguish the difference like more experienced racers could. One thing I could say is that the rims were strong in that I never broke one. I did warp a few from hitting the track barriers a few times.

- Tom
You got them in the USA?? where??

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #92
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

I think that as long as the tires are kept out of the light and open air they should be fine. I have some tires that were made 6 years ago that were kept in a box (not sealed) that we ran at the Snowbirds and won with! Tires do harden with age. In fact, the minute the skin is removed before laminating the foam begins to shrink as the gas escapes from the pores of the rubber. As it shrinks, it gets firmer. Most all closed-cell foam does this. Leaving the tires out in the open seems to degrade the rubber quickly. I'm not sure if it is the ultraviolet light or just exposure to the air. I wish I could be more help.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #93
Tech Addict
 
Chemical X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
You got them in the USA?? where??

AFM
I purchased the PMT tires through Ace Hardware Hobbies last year. I was going to purchase the GRP Devils at the time but they did not have them in stock. JR from Ace called me and said he could send the PMT tires which weren't on their website.

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....og/default.php

Unfortunately Ace is no longer open for business. Too bad because the tires were a good price.

- Tom
Chemical X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #94
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Since we're on the subject of tires I have a quick question. What shore rating would be a good base setting to start from. Here's what I mean. I have my car setup very neutral, everything is basically book stock (checked on a Hudy). What I want to do is get a set of tires that are pretty neutral (not too hard, not too soft) so that I can get a base point from which to learn from. As I get better I plan to try different hardnesses and such. What I am wondering though is 38 shore rated tires more neutral than 40? or is 38 too soft to be neutral? I am just going to put the same shore rating on all corners and work from there. This way when I make a change I can go back to a base setting if it doesn't work for me.

Does this make sense at all?
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #95
Tech Master
 
Ivan Dickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cali Love USA
Posts: 1,643
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
Since we're on the subject of tires I have a quick question. What shore rating would be a good base setting to start from. Here's what I mean. I have my car setup very neutral, everything is basically book stock (checked on a Hudy). What I want to do is get a set of tires that are pretty neutral (not too hard, not too soft) so that I can get a base point from which to learn from. As I get better I plan to try different hardnesses and such. What I am wondering though is 38 shore rated tires more neutral than 40? or is 38 too soft to be neutral? I am just going to put the same shore rating on all corners and work from there. This way when I make a change I can go back to a base setting if it doesn't work for me.

Does this make sense at all?
What you due is get a couple sets like for example a pair of 40 and 42 vice versa also fine what is the most common shore people are running at the track.
__________________
SPECIAL THANKS TO ✦ MY WIFE ✦✦ MOTIV RC ✦✦ GRAVITY RC ✦✦ JGO PAINTZ ✦✦ TQ RC RACEWAY ✦✦ TAMIYA RACEWAY ✦
Ivan Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #96
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
What you due is get a couple sets like for example a pair of 40 and 42 vice versa also fine what is the most common shore people are running at the track.
well, I don't care about what other ppl run or what is better. I want to start somewhere that I can get comfortable THEN work on getting faster laps. See I'm still learning to actually drive the car.

I don't know how to explain what I mean.

Actually here's the thing. If you went to a track with a completely neutral car (no specific setup yet), what shore rating would you start with as your first test?
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #97
Tech Master
 
Ivan Dickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cali Love USA
Posts: 1,643
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
well, I don't care about what other ppl run or what is better. I want to start somewhere that I can get comfortable THEN work on getting faster laps. See I'm still learning to actually drive the car.

I don't know how to explain what I mean.

Actually here's the thing. If you went to a track with a completely neutral car (no specific setup yet), what shore rating would you start with as your first test?
It not what other people run it about at lease knowing a starting point with tires and maybe go up 1 shore or down 1 shore it not about trying 5 different shores but go to the track and run with a base set up and go from there and take your time.
__________________
SPECIAL THANKS TO ✦ MY WIFE ✦✦ MOTIV RC ✦✦ GRAVITY RC ✦✦ JGO PAINTZ ✦✦ TQ RC RACEWAY ✦✦ TAMIYA RACEWAY ✦
Ivan Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #98
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
It not what other people run it about at lease knowing a starting point with tires and maybe go up 1 shore or down 1 shore it not about trying 5 different shores but go to the track and run with a base set up and go from there and take your time.
but I'm trying to determine what a good base setup would be. Should I run soft tires? Hard? somewhere in between like 40? 38?

See if I know where the base is for me. After I'm good with it I can try a quick change up or down and see what happens. This way I always have a comfortable setting to refer back to.

Didn't anyone else do that?
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #99
Tech Master
 
Ivan Dickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cali Love USA
Posts: 1,643
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
but I'm trying to determine what a good base setup would be. Should I run soft tires? Hard? somewhere in between like 40? 38?
Ok let me give you some info. on tires softer the tire more grip harder the tire less grip I think 40 is good start not too soft not too hard something in the 37, 38 might be to soft.
__________________
SPECIAL THANKS TO ✦ MY WIFE ✦✦ MOTIV RC ✦✦ GRAVITY RC ✦✦ JGO PAINTZ ✦✦ TQ RC RACEWAY ✦✦ TAMIYA RACEWAY ✦
Ivan Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #100
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
Ok let me give you some info. on tires softer the tire more grip harder the tire less grip I think 40 is good start not too soft not too hard something in the 37, 38 might be to soft.
I know that hehe I just didn't know if I should start on the soft side or not. I guess I sound really retarded or something

Anyway I gotcha.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #101
Tech Regular
 
Lil Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 265
Default

hey Dredd,
I run a MRX4-R, and I actually start out most tracks with 35. The track has to have absolutely no bite for an 1/8 to run 32's, so for me 35 is more than likely the softest I would ever run. From there, if the track has alot of traction, my car is going to be twitchy, and not rotate thru the corners well. So I go to 37 or 38 depending on conditions. This also makes sense to; becasue when you start off early in the day or race week, the track is green. The track picks up traction after rubber is down. With that being said, whenever I hit a track I start with 35's. Starting with something neutral is great, but you never really now what that is until you are on the track. Starting soft prevents you from hitting that board at the end of the straight while waiting the traction to come up.
Lil Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #102
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Paul
hey Dredd,
I run a MRX4-R, and I actually start out most tracks with 35. The track has to have absolutely no bite for an 1/8 to run 32's, so for me 35 is more than likely the softest I would ever run. From there, if the track has alot of traction, my car is going to be twitchy, and not rotate thru the corners well. So I go to 37 or 38 depending on conditions. This also makes sense to; becasue when you start off early in the day or race week, the track is green. The track picks up traction after rubber is down. With that being said, whenever I hit a track I start with 35's. Starting with something neutral is great, but you never really now what that is until you are on the track. Starting soft prevents you from hitting that board at the end of the straight while waiting the traction to come up.
Right, but my car is pretty much brand new to me still. I tuned it and ran it around by the house for a bit while I was waiting for more parts. Now I have it all set and I am just trying to find a good point to start at when I go to the track. I've never actually driven on the track so I wanted something that was pretty neutral for now. That way I could get some time feeling the car out and how it works as is. Then i can try to pickup time by trying different tires and settings.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #103
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,519
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
I guess I sound really retarded or something
Yes you do.........Had to state the obvious.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #104
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123
Yes you do.........Had to state the obvious.
That wasn't ment to have any reply
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #105
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
For obvious reasons I am not going to name our supplier. My original statement holds true- Kyosho does not have GRP do their tires. Anyone who says otherwise is simply misinformed. My point is that, despite the many perceived differences, a lot of these brands are, in fact, the same. Unlike rubber tires, which can be molded and custom mixed, the foam we use in this industry is manufactured under very specialized conditions. There are only a handful of factories in the world that produce foam of this type and even fewer that are capable of holding the tolerances demanded by the R/C industry. The tire manufacturers want you to think they have a "special" source for their rubber, but the unglamorous truth is that it is much less of a "black art" than most people think. I have heard that our tires last longer than GRP. I have heard Kyosho last longer than our tires. Then I have heard that GRP last longer than Kyosho. Full circle. What is right? How can these three statements all be true? In the end, run what works best for you, but keep in mind that the differences you see on the track may have more to do with the car setup or wheel choice than the rubber.
LOL ok then name some others then.

Anyhow after looking over my tire lot. Ive come to the conlusion that your post of everyone runs the same foam is completely way off base.

I have a kawahara , twister , grp, jaco and speedmind tire in front of me. All COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IN FEEL AND LOOK. Even when truing them as well. They all true differently. Even where they are glued looks completely different.

Its interesting you wont give up some names for something that you know about. So your witholding info but giving us some on your company. Why even say something when your not going to give any facts except to benefit yourself. Is that because the main reason your even here is to market yourself?

Sounds more or less like usual marketing hype. Id rather listen to a tire user than some of this stuff.

Feel free to post some information for us to chew on. Otherwise ill be posting some high res photos for everyone later and we will see that unless what I said is true , in that being this "japanese foam company" makes variants of their foam, which youve already said isnt true.

Then I can totally say what your saying is not true. In fact Im thinking im just going to contact a lot of these companies and see for myself where their tires are being made. I have some good contacts in the industry so, I will see what info I can dig up. Otherwise your blatantly being hush hush on a subject you brought up. Sounds fishy to me.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 03-31-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning Out Garage Sale TIRES TIRES TIRES MattOCM R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 01-15-2008 03:55 PM
Foam Tires, Parma, TRC, JACO, Tire truer, Rubbers tires and much much more! Team Speedy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 43 12-15-2006 10:38 AM
Team Orion tires / monster truck tires and weld wheels evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 04-25-2006 09:52 PM
TIRES tires TIres, Ellegi or UFRA. bleach1 Nitro On-Road 51 06-01-2004 10:58 PM
Used trc & jaco touring & 12th scale tires trued mint shape a ton of tires 1 to 3 run jason cheng R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 01-02-2004 10:27 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:46 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net