R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Funny? Not really. I've been doing this for 17 years. I've picked up a thing or two about tires and rubber in this time. And I have heard some pretty amazing stories about where the rubber comes from. Hint: it is not baked in an oven in a guy's basement in Italy.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

That's funny! I have watched some enlightened individuals try to make a foam putty with silicone and grindings from the truer and coat a set of used wheels with it. I had know idea that "Chef Boyardee's" oven was right next to "Chef Gandini's". Yep one factory in the land of the rising sun. Next time your at a motorcycle shop tare the cover off a sport bike seat, that's "GRP" rubber to. The bike shop wont mind just tell them to file a claim with there insurance company...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #78
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
The same factory in Japan??!!

I'll have more questions for you later when I have more time.
I found this surfing the web. Could this be the answer to Jack's info???

AFM

Company Name: TRY-ALL CORPORATION

Since 1999 we have been supplying foam blocks and tires to selected European manufacturers of R/C competition foam tires and have succeeded to provide considerable satisfactions to each manufacturer.

All our tires are built with excellent technology and massive feedback from International Racing Circuit, and are giving better performance race after race around the world.

Now it is the time to release our own brand of tires (Fastlap) for every expert driver all over the world.
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #79
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
I found this surfing the web. Could this be the answer to Jack's info???

AFM

Company Name: TRY-ALL CORPORATION

Since 1999 we have been supplying foam blocks and tires to selected European manufacturers of R/C competition foam tires and have succeeded to provide considerable satisfactions to each manufacturer.

All our tires are built with excellent technology and massive feedback from International Racing Circuit, and are giving better performance race after race around the world.

Now it is the time to release our own brand of tires (Fastlap) for every expert driver all over the world.
Hmmmm ...interetsing
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #80

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Either that company has some widely varied foams or that is completely not true. Perhaps they do for a wide range of companies. But all? I can see just by looking at the foam that there is a wide difference in foam.

Ive been testing with tires for awhile and Id like to verify that or have some concrete info posted , not just bits and pieces. I agree it really doesnt help to post tidbits. Just give us the full dose. Thats what a complete post is about.

Otherwise your going to have people asking for the rest of the details anyhow , so what is the name of this company in japan , who do they actually make foam for.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This has come from the talking to people who make the tires. If your on the other side of the hobby shop counter it only takes a couple of phone calls to figure out that when Jaco is out of tires so is everyone else. So the second time this happened I asked Jack. His response was all this rubber comes from one factory in Japan and when there out or GRP or who ever places a massive order and cleans this one company in Japan out nobody has foam rubber to make tires. After receiving this info I asked the other tire companies and got the same answer. Never asked what the name of the company is because it does not matter. What does matter is that I maintain a large quantity in stock for the times when they are not avalible. Like rite now...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #82
Tech Fanatic

For obvious reasons I am not going to name our supplier. My original statement holds true- Kyosho does not have GRP do their tires. Anyone who says otherwise is simply misinformed. My point is that, despite the many perceived differences, a lot of these brands are, in fact, the same. Unlike rubber tires, which can be molded and custom mixed, the foam we use in this industry is manufactured under very specialized conditions. There are only a handful of factories in the world that produce foam of this type and even fewer that are capable of holding the tolerances demanded by the R/C industry. The tire manufacturers want you to think they have a "special" source for their rubber, but the unglamorous truth is that it is much less of a "black art" than most people think. I have heard that our tires last longer than GRP. I have heard Kyosho last longer than our tires. Then I have heard that GRP last longer than Kyosho. Full circle. What is right? How can these three statements all be true? In the end, run what works best for you, but keep in mind that the differences you see on the track may have more to do with the car setup or wheel choice than the rubber.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We all know that choosing the right tire/wheel combo based on the track and track conditions is a big deal - otherwise, we would all be using the cheap stuff.

If people were led to believe that different companies produce their own foam, then they all just got a wake-up call - myself included.

As Jack pointed out, how a company assembles the tire, how much foam they use, if they chemically treat the foam (not sure if anyone does this or if it's even possible), what material the rim is made out of, rim design, etc, etc... all make a difference in how the tire performs on the track. So when we choose a tire, it's not just what the foam is made of, it's the entire package.

When it comes to the foam itself, I would imagine that the customer ordering the foam can change the mix a bit. A little more of this, a little less of that and maybe a pinch of something that not everyone else gets. Let me know if I'm right/wrong here Jack The company must produce foam for other industries, so I would bet, that the company producing the foam is only concerned with producing a consistent quality product based on the specification provided by the customer.

I'm glad that the record was set straight about "GRP Foam". That takes one less stupid variable out of the equation of tire selection.

Thanks Jack
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #84
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
...........There are only a handful of factories in the world that produce foam of this type and even fewer that are capable of holding the tolerances demanded by the R/C industry. The tire manufacturers want you to think they have a "special" source for their rubber, but the unglamorous truth is that it is much less of a "black art" than most people think...............
Jack, do you know this manufacturer?? what can you tell us about their Foams.

http://www.pmt-tyres.it/epages/Store.../1%3A10/Spugna

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't remember the web site but there was another company stating that the Italian based tire companies got thier foam in Europe with a majority going to Japan. It had a brief explanation on the difference in foam density, etc, etc.

Going by my personal exp. Even if the tyre manufaturer's get their raw material/foam from one source like stated above there is more than just wheels that make one brand different from the other.

Ex Nitro shoes and Active a well known brand in japan don't feel alike at all and does not cut the same on the truer.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #86
Tech Fanatic

The foam manufacturer does not "tweak" the compounds for their customers. They pride themselves on producing a very consistent product and being able to keep up with demand. Both of which they do a pretty good job of.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #87
Tech Fanatic

I think PMT made their name with R/C motorcycle tires. I don't know much about them, though. I may be wrong on that. I'm sure they make a good tire, as does GRP, Kyosho, Kawahara, Enneti, JACO, etc....
Old 03-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #88
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M.
I don't remember the web site but there was another company stating that the Italian based tire companies got thier foam in Europe with a majority going to Japan. It had a brief explanation on the difference in foam density, etc, etc.

Going by my personal exp. Even if the tyre manufaturer's get their raw material/foam from one source like stated above there is more than just wheels that make one brand different from the other.

Ex Nitro shoes and Active a well known brand in japan don't feel alike at all and does not cut the same on the truer.
This is partially true. There is a company in Europe that imports and distributes the Japanese rubber to many of the manufacturers of foam tires. In fact we used to buy from them years ago and sometimes still do.
I won't say we don't have things we do to the tires during the manufacturing process that we feel gives our tires an edge. I'm sure every company has their own system. But essentially, the rubber is all the same. I will concede that it is entirely possible that another supplier exists. I would think, however, that any rubber company in business to make money would have contacted us by now, as we are one of the largest producers of tires in the industry.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M.

Then there is that whole issue of bagging, not bagging and now KFactory is packaging their tires in some heavy mil ziplock bags.

Jack: How does packaging affect the foam over time?

- If you let a tire sit out for one day, one week or one month, does it really matter? Can you "feel" the difference?

- Is there a difference between leaving out a new tire out versus a cut one?

Thanks! Really appreciate you answering these questions.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #90
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
Jack, do you know this manufacturer?? what can you tell us about their Foams.

http://www.pmt-tyres.it/epages/Store.../1%3A10/Spugna

AFM
I mainly used GQ tires last season but at one point purchased about 10 full sets of these PMT tires in a 40 shore rating. From my experience, they performed the same as GQ-40's.

Granted last year was my first year of nitro racing so I probably couldn't distinguish the difference like more experienced racers could. One thing I could say is that the rims were strong in that I never broke one. I did warp a few from hitting the track barriers a few times.

- Tom
Chemical X is offline   Reply With Quote