R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-18-2003, 08:18 PM   #16
Tech Master

On a typical track, the MR12 will pull extremely well from the corners. If you've got a world class 1/8th scale track, then it will fall short because it is just a little lacking there, but remember that you spend 20 seconds going around the infield and 2 on the straight, and therefore, I second what patella said.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:21 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
but remember that you spend 20 seconds going around the infield and 2 on the straight, and therefore, I second what patella said.
That sure made sense to me..
Old 03-19-2003, 01:24 AM   #18
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Rod length

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Everything being equal, Bore and Stroke in an Engine.
A longer Connecting Rod (and Piston to match) will shift the power band to a lower Rpm. A Shorter Rod in the Exact same Engine, will have it's Power band up in a Higher Rpm range. In our .12 size engines, it may hardly be noticeable though.
This has long been a tuning 'Trick' on Full size engines. Change the Rod length to shift the power band closer to where you need it.
Yes, your explanation is correct. But according to Motorman, the rod length effects is noticeable enough on small sized engines. This is why he prefers to mod the long rod type MT-12 engines.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:59 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

i am pretty sure sirio is a long stroke engine the piston is noticeably small in diameter when i compare it to my mr-12 so if it displaces less across the bore it must go up and down further to keep .12 displacement

i have both sirio and mr-12 and they are both modified

sirio is faster than mr-12 and its taking longer to get broken in

most who have sirios say they dont really break-in and hit full speed for around a gallon of fuel thats a very good sign (ive also heard this about rb engines)

ive seen both kinds of engines blow rods so i dont know what to say about durability

something is still telling me the mr-12 will outlast the sirio but maybe only because the sirio really revs high

so far i have been impressed by both engines either being a good choice but sirio seems to be faster and cheaper

if i eventually end up with sirio carb leakage problems or something i will simply put a novarossi carb on it
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:27 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jason102276
if i eventually end up with sirio carb leakage problems or something i will simply put a novarossi carb on it
I encountered that leaking problem with my
Sirio Carb. I ordered the Carb O-Ring Set &
while waiting for it, I tried an RB carb on it
and it fit perfectly and ran pretty well.

I wonder if I lost some power though because
the carb diameter of the Sirio is a bit larger than
the RB that I fitted on it.?
Old 03-19-2003, 11:30 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Lightbulb

I have a sirio motor laying around the house here because it had a broken con rod!!!

Now, that said the Sirio motor is a strong and powerfull motor for the $$money$$.
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:53 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

i plan to order an extra rod for it

those engines rev so incredibly high blowing a rod is inevitable i think

plus with it being so tight at tdc that has to take some toll on the rod also

ive had no problems with my carb so far but i know others who have said it leaked

i will most likely switch to nova carb since i know them a little better and i know they are able to be modded and stay legal whereas the sirio carb without the restricter is 6mm and illegal
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote