R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default engine cooling fans

Hey guys, well I recently purchased a new 350Z body for my rs4 3 18ss. I love the car by the way and the body looks killer. Here's the thing, my brother and I are fascinated with tinkering with RC's and he's completley amazing with thsi stuff. HE was building rc planes since he was very young and he own's his own company modifying paintball guns; He can do stuff with hsi hands Ok so here's my idea. I don't want to gut up the body to make cooling holes if I don't need to. It's not a thing of me being lazy or scared, but my brother and I are both fascinated by installing cooling fans. Today i went to COMP USA and was able to pick up 2 cooling fans for the price of one. My only question is, would this be safe for my engine as in enough airflow? I judge my tuning by listening to the engine and watching smoke. I don't have a tempgun, so if I listen to it as I normally do and watch for the smoke, it should be fine right? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.
Pazzy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Tech Master

Dont worry about temps , youre on the right track, just listen to the motor, and relying on smoke can be tricky, some fuels smoke more than others so that can put you off. If you look at all the top on road drivers race you notice virtually no smoke out the pipe ... Thats not to say you have to lean it till it chokes lol but its just to make you aware that litening to the engine and tuning by feel is the best way. Develop this and you will have no problems.

As far as fans go its up to you but you would be better off cutting some small vents in the grill like a real car and a small cut in the rear back bottom spoiler , this will act as a vaccum and suck air into the front of the car, it also creates down force..

Cheers MM
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Also, you want to have air as cool as possible entering your carb. Cutting little holes as Massive said will allow cool air to flow through to the carb. The coller the air, the more dense it is. Im sure you no what I'm getting at. The fans are a cool idea though. They will defiently keep your engine cool yet maintain a sweet looking body. I think maybe making a custom grill that allows air through would be sick.
XNXIXTXRXOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Well here's what my bro and I did. We did the neccessary hole in the windshield...as long as a cooling fan inside the car, which we attached a mouse switch to so I have fully functional brake lights!!!!

Will post pics to better explain what we did. Also what we plan on doing is perfectly tracing the second fan to the back window and we'll have it acting as a vacuum to withdraw the warm air already vented and blow it out the car, sound cool?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Tech Master

Cool air creates more power , Warm air gets better milage ...
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
Old 02-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Do you think I should just leave out that rear fan all-together, and allow the air to flow as it normally would?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Lights seem like a cool idea!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Its up to you. More power is fun, makes you car faster and all the other things that come with power. But, better milage means a few dollars saved on gas. To me, I made a cool air induction setup on my car and I have more power but less milage, which doesn't bother me becuase I'm willing to send a few extra dollars on gas. Now thats just me though. Its pretty much personal prevrence. The vaccum idea seems like a smart one for power. Its also kinda neat. I look forward to seeing some pics!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Heres my cool air intake
Attached Thumbnails
engine cooling fans-regan-054.jpg   engine cooling fans-regan-053.jpg   engine cooling fans-regan-056.jpg  
Old 02-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

cool cool cool man, i like that, about my idea...I have to decide on what I'll be doing, although i'll post a pic of my car in a few mins, this was before any modifications were done.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNXIXTXRXOX
Heres my cool air intake

Cool man : )

Keep in mind that direct clean current thats non turbulent creates a responsive power band.... You can get this from a straight tube as opposed to a curved one.. Turbulence in air current disturbs speed of flow, it can create a lag in air intake.. and a lag in responce..
Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
Tech Master

Here is what i did with my on road buggy .. I put a short collar whith a slight bend in it , i also reamed the inside of the filter to take more air in.. The hole in the roof let loads of cool air past .. It made a noticeable differenct to the pick up of the engine..
Attached Thumbnails
engine cooling fans-massive-hyper.jpg  
Old 02-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Yeah, I get what your saying. The problem with my engine is that the carb is facing the rear so I needed to make some sort of bend to allow the air to have a pushed in effect.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:43 AM   #14
Tech Addict

What is your opinions on opening the windows instead of the front and back. Does this cool well or is there too much drag?
dr_catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
Tech Master

The air needs to go somewhere , if it enters a window without a direct out then it will cause drag .. Usually what we do is cut the front and back screen, but that does take away from a lot of front down force which helps steering and front end grip...