Wiki Posts
Search

sts engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 01:52 AM
DPD
Tech Rookie

Default sts engine

hello i have a sts 3 port engine and i want to no how fast it would go in a NTC3
Old 03-07-2003, 02:15 AM
Tech Adept

put the engine in....

start the engine...

and nail the throttle...

and see for yourself!!! You already have the engine, why ask other ppl?
Old 03-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: sts engine

Originally posted by DPD
hello i have a sts 3 port engine and i want to no how fast it would go in a NTC3
The motor is alright.
I ran one on my Yoke and the motor worked fine, although I had a leaking problem with the outer bearing. It did not seem to affect the power but just was messy. I heard the leaking issue was solved with the newer generation/batch of motors.

As far as it being fast, I think it is no different from the traditional MT12s or MR12s. But it is cheaper, so that is a good thing
Old 03-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default rs3

I got an RS3 STS the new batch with the black box (these are hard to find now !!). It has the special cutting (modify) at the sleeve. It's really fast compared to my other RB5port. Idles very well too.

I like it.

Haven't run the RS5 yet but would like to get my hands on one.

ed
Old 03-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

i got the regular sts mt12 3 port engine. I have it in my nrs4-2. It does good and it runs great. I never had any problems with it. It doesnt have the insane rpm as mod engines but it is all the engine i need. BTW it has alot of power.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs down sts engine

Guys; (can't think of a better opening)

We have an STS-MT12 in my Sons Reflex NT. I drove it at the last race and it sucks. It's even too slow for my boy. I raised the compression ratio by putting a thinner head shim in. If this doesn't wake this engine up, it's getting replaced.
As a side note: I recently installed a Fantom .15 side exhaust in my Super Nitro and this engine is very fast even at break-in settings. MUCH faster than the STS.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Tech Adept

It's ok. They run reasonably well and you get what you paid for. Don't expect too much for this price range. Keep in mind that advertisment (rumor) not always match the actual picture. Durability is in question cause this engine is pretty new and no one have run it for a long enough time. Following is their support forum: http://www.teamcrc.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=10
Old 03-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default sts engines

hey guys I heard alot too about other shitty engines too. manufacturers of course have low end range and high end range of products.
for value for your $$$$, get ONLY the RS3 and RS5 as these are the cream of the crop from STS IMHO.

I think our TeamCRC didn't carry the RS3 before and that's why they focused alot on the STS12 or S12 or some name like that. . . these are the "low end" products.
Marketing guys are good and quick to make you believe they are "bang for the bucks" products.

ed
Old 03-08-2003, 01:33 AM
Tech Chat Moderator

Default Re: sts engine

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys; (can't think of a better opening)

We have an STS-MT12 in my Sons Reflex NT. I drove it at the last race and it sucks. It's even too slow for my boy. I raised the compression ratio by putting a thinner head shim in. If this doesn't wake this engine up, it's getting replaced.
As a side note: I recently installed a Fantom .15 side exhaust in my Super Nitro and this engine is very fast even at break-in settings. MUCH faster than the STS.
pops; for gods sake man. The engine doesnt suck at all. Mine is awsome, almost as good if not better than my old rb c12 turbo. In a previous thread you said that it wasnt faster/stronger than the stock fe15......wrong again. It has much more power. I love my sts engine. But hey, its your opinion.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: sts engine

Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
pops; for gods sake man. The engine doesnt suck at all. Mine is awsome, almost as good if not better than my old rb c12 turbo. In a previous thread you said that it wasnt faster/stronger than the stock fe15......wrong again. It has much more power. I love my sts engine. But hey, its your opinion.
Hmm....well from what I have seen the standard 3 port sts is really nothing to write home about. I know a couple of guys a rev that have attempted to modify these engines themselves and really didnt get too far with them. Now the RS3 modified 3 port is a different story. I have seen this thing do pretty good. I believe it has a little more top and mid range power than my sirio. Although I think they are still pretty close. But I think the difference is enough to make be invest in one soon.

Pops, if you have an RS3 and think that you are not getting enough perfornance, you may want to check the usual suspects before passing judgement on this motor.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: sts engine

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
Hmm....well from what I have seen the standard 3 port sts is really nothing to write home about. I know a couple of guys a rev that have attempted to modify these engines themselves and really didnt get too far with them. Now the RS3 modified 3 port is a different story. I have seen this thing do pretty good. I believe it has a little more top and mid range power than my sirio. Although I think they are still pretty close. But I think the difference is enough to make be invest in one soon.

Pops, if you have an RS3 and think that you are not getting enough perfornance, you may want to check the usual suspects before passing judgement on this motor.
Almost forgot, the other observation is that the STS is significantly lighter than an MT/MR12, Sirio, JP, or RB.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

I've run my 3 port turbo STS in my NTC3, with GREAT results.

I reccomend working on the clutch, I have the 3 shoe option, and the copper springs. Then cut the end of the spring that goes to the shoe. Also cut the backside of the shoe, a piece shaped like a pie slice about 1/8th inch at the end. I see Baker cuts and drills his 2 shoe clutch.

Also, re-gear...the stock gears are too high to run on my track. I'm running 20 or 21T 1st gear, with 25T 2nd gear and 48 & 54 spurs.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default STS-MT12

Guys;

This engine is the MT12 (non-Turbo) version with the light Blue Head. Raising the compression helped quite a bit, but it's still not as fast as my Picco or Fantom. That's OK now as it has enough power for the Kid after the compression increase. Only thing now is, I see what people are talking about the Front bearing leaking.

I did get alot of comments about how fast the Fantom was.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: STS-MT12

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

This engine is the MT12 (non-Turbo) version with the light Blue Head. Raising the compression helped quite a bit, but it's still not as fast as my Picco or Fantom. That's OK now as it has enough power for the Kid after the compression increase. Only thing now is, I see what people are talking about the Front bearing leaking.

I did get alot of comments about how fast the Fantom was.
Hmmm.....interesting....if the front bearing is leaking....are you experiencing any vacuum leak or diffuculties in keeping the tune settings. That could be a huge problem. Anyways I have ordered my RS3 but will be replacing the button to make it non turbo (gots ta be ROAR legal ya know). Although I am still gonna try to make a run at it with my sirio. Finally got some good head temps on this thing. Man does it wake up. Anyways if you ever want to more for your kid, or yourself for those parking lot races, give the sirio a try!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

As for the front bearing leaking, I had the same problem on mine.
I was told by Dino himself that the shim behind the collet was to big, and deforming under RPM. Meaning that the shim is bigger than the collet, so when the engine gets up to speed/RPM that shim will start to flex, and rub on the seal. I replaced the shim and the seal, and never had another problem with temps or any tuning.
Hope that helps,
Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.