Wiki Posts
Search

sidewinder fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default sidewinder fuel

I've been using Model Technics fuel Dynaglo 25% nitro/10% oil (8%synth+2%castor) for over 2 years now and I'm very happy with it but I wanted to try the sidewinder for a change.
I have tried it once and it did lower the temps a bit more but I've heart bad comments on it.
I tried the 25% nitro/12% oil (don't know what blend is called)

The thing with the model technics is that my engine hasn't lost the pinch it had after the break in. It has 6-7gallons on it and the piston still gets "stuck" sometimes on top end if I turn the flywheel without the plug in.

Any comments from you on the sidewinder and different blends you have tried would be much appreciated!!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've been using Sidewinder for over 7 years now, and I havn't ran anything else. I've never had problems with it, and I've had engines that have out-lasted 7 gallons. One engine I ran was at 12 gallons when I finally traded it to a friend and he ran it for 2 more years.

I don't know what you have heard bad about it, but maybe it was that it turns your engine's inside red......that is normal with the fuel, that way, you know your mixture is not too lean and thier is enough lubrication. It is a combination of the CP7 and dye.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What blend are you using?
I'm not worried on the red dye,... i always look for the carbon build-up on the piston...if i have that i'm happy!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

I run 20% 30% and I have some 16% too... all with 10% oil. I like the 30% world Championship blend best
Old 02-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There WC fuel is new and its multi-viscosity oil. I have some ive been meaning to test. Just need a motor to test it on. I would definently try that one.

I usually run 20% , its just fine for me. I wouldnt have a problem running 30% either or 25% for a good middle ratio.

I like sidewinder fuels. Theres something bad to be said for every fuel. Its just the public , im sure there are people out there that complain about ferrari. Its just how it is , dont let it fool you. They are a good fuel company.

Theres pretty much lots of good fuels out there. Just certain ones I like better and I play around a lot with fuels. A lot of time Ill just buy a certain one due to availability. Just go with what works best for you and doesnt let you down. As well keep an eye on the gumming and carbon build up. I tend to think if a fuel smells clean and sweet , its pretty much not leaving any extra residues in the motor. If its burny and smells stinky , you can probably figure its leaving residue and heating the motor up more due to by products which cause fuel to burn hotter. The tell tale would be to check the motors internals see how it looks. Theres also a lot of other reasons people run certain fuels such as colors (being easy to see). Price , power , feel , tune. Its not really one choice that turns a user onto a fuel and not just one fuel has it all. So its go with what you need and feels right for you. Also nothing wrong with buying a few quarts and doing some back to back tests and see for yourself what fuel IS the real winner for YOU.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Well Said!!!!!

The 30% World Champ blend helped me drop my engine temps as much as 30 deg. without the loss of performance. After blowing up 1 engine running another fuel last year at the Winternats due to forgetting to put it in the trailer, I drove over 400 miles to go home and get the fuel. I'm an average racer, not a pro, but I now make sure if anybody wants to try the fuel, all they have to do is ask.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Well Said!!!!!

The 30% World Champ blend helped me drop my engine temps as much as 30 deg. without the loss of performance. After blowing up 1 engine running another fuel last year at the Winternats due to forgetting to put it in the trailer, I drove over 400 miles to go home and get the fuel. I'm an average racer, not a pro, but I now make sure if anybody wants to try the fuel, all they have to do is ask.
Question: Let's say your engine was running at 240F with whatever fuel you were running. You switch to the 30% WC blend and now the engine temp is down to 210F. Are you retuning the engine back to 240F or are you leaving it at 210F?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

I don't want to sound like and idiot, but leave it alone unless you feel a performance change. I personaly, have not ran only but 2 other fuels in the past 5 years now. Both fuels didn't give me the power I have come to expect, and both times, the engine ran hotter.

Only you can be the judge of weather to lean it out or not based on engine performance.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Question: Let's say your engine was running at 240F with whatever fuel you were running. You switch to the 30% WC blend and now the engine temp is down to 210F. Are you retuning the engine back to 240F or are you leaving it at 210F?

Thanks!
Thats a yes and no answer. Dependant on how the motor sounds and smokes youll want to adjust accordingly. If its now become boggy , then yes youll want to lean it some.

If smoke has dissapeared and the car is overly revving but not having good mid range youll probably want to richen the mixture to see what happens.

As with tuning you dont want to really go by temps. You want to tune by sight (how fast its traveling) , sound (boggy sounding or tinny and feverish) and smoke.

Then youll want to check your setting to make sure its in a nominal range. Then keep an eye on the motors tune by simply checking the temp , but still obeying to the above first. From a hot day to a cold youll notice temp changes so a temp change is fine. A temp gauge is really to make sure things havent gone far off from the norm. Its kinda like a pysch out. Some just have to check the temps just so they dont go crazy thinking was the smoke they saw good enough. Was the cooling of the body adequate for that days temps and track layout or conditions , new gearing etc etc.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use sight, sound and temp. I use temp to be sure that it's below a certain temperature. I'm usually more at the border of "just right" and "too lean" - versus "just right" and "a bit rich".

I've heard a lot of people say that the temp drops when they use certain fuels, but no one really indicated if they leaned the motor back up to the old temp. I was just curious.