Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Spektrum...is it good? >

Spektrum...is it good?

Spektrum...is it good?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default Spektrum...is it good?

Situation is...I have a Kyosho V-One RRR WC with engine and all. Last piece is the electronics package. I need to decide what to get. Now here's the question. How is the transmitter (handset) and servos that come with the Spekrtum? Are they junk? Should I just get a good quality FM?

Has anyone used the Spekrtum or currently uses it and can comment on the quality of the transmitter and the servos and whether or not I should immediately swap out the servos etc.?

Help me out
Old 02-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2.4 GHz is not limited to just Spektrum. Nomadio (http://www.nomadio.net) makes two 2.4 Ghz systems and Futaba came out with a 2.4 GHz module as well (http://www.futabarc.com/radioaccys/futl8926.html). The best thing about 2.4 GHz, is that no other racer will ever be on your frequency.

Here is a review of the Futaba 2.4 GHz module:
http://www.rc411.com/pages/scopes.php?scope=40&page=1

If you buy FM, make sure you purchase a synthesized model, so you don't have to fuss with the crystals.

As far as what transmitter to get ... ...someone else can probably give you better advice.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Ok well, my question now is what do I go with? This is my first car that I plan to actually race (not seriously competitive at first until I becme comfortable). I'm not sure what electronics I should look at.

Can anyone make some serious recommendations for the first time racer?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

These might be helpful...

Best Radio for Nitro CArs??
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94251

Your opinion about Futaba 3PKS and KoPropo EX10-helios
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138232
Old 02-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Rookie

I have used the spektrum system,and now currently use the nomadio sensor.IMO,the spektrum system,DX3 or DX2 are more for bashing than anything.Simply due to the fact that all the features that they lack.The servo's that they come with are ok,but for the type of racing your gonna be doing,save yourself some money in the long run and just buy some quality servos now.I can recommend the airtronics 94358 and the jr 9000s,these are both very good servos.Another problem I have found with the spektrum system is the receivers,the antenna wires have a habit of coming unsoldered in the receiver,2 of the 3 I had did this.

A nomadio system,react or sensor is a much better system,IMO.The nomadio systems,have way more features than the spektrum,not just bells and whisles.Things like expo's,servo speeds,idle up,40 model memory,and is also fully updateable through usb connection.And to top it off real time telemetry built in to the system,no other receiver is needed,or screen.That is just a small amount of what nomadio offers.Also the nomadio systems are faster and smoother than the spektrum systems.

Looks like you've spent some money on a good chassis setup/engine,why cut yourself short with your electronics?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

I just took a really close look at the Nomadio and it indeed looks super good.

For servos is there anything quality (doesn't have to be top of the line, remember I'm not hardcore into racing right now and just starting out) that isn't $99 per servo?

I am probably going to go with the Nomadio system after reading more about it, but am still super confused about servo quality. I know I can just buy the top of the line most expensive ones, but I'm wondering if there isn't some other option that is good and costs less.

Thanks again
Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Radio

I use my KO Helios with Spektrum Module and receivers.

Works well for me.. But I too am moving to the RRR evo from an M18. Time will tell.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

i use a ko with spektrum in it, you may want to get a good radio first then get spektrum later if you want but a good radio is a must i dont care what one,ko,fut, all the high end ones are good now servos fut are very good for nitro, S 9451 . nomadio we had one guy up here try it and he went back to his fut 3pk
Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

hmm...well, that's an idea too. Get 2.4Ghz upgrade later on...

Ok but when buying servos do I want high torque on both the throttle and steering or just the steering and get high speed for the throttle?

I assume I want more torque on steering to overcome the "drag" created by grippy tires right?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

9451 for steering and throttle
Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
alrighty...well, now to decide what transmitter I want to hop on...

I guess it's between the Futaba 3PK, Ko Propo Helios, and maybe the Airtronics M11.

Anyone have any comparisons between these? I am wondering...how does the M11 feel in the hands weight wise. It looks pretty hefty.

sorry to be a pain guys, but I just don't want to regret a purchase when it's going to be up near $500 for the whole package (receiver, transmitter, servos). I want to be sure what I get I will be happy with and not slap myself for going the wrong way. So please forgive all my questions if you would.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you check out a lot of threads on this issue. Youll find me saying , go into a lhs and feel them all out , this makes a big difference. You gotta see how you like each one in your own hands.

The notables though are 3pk is the fastest radio out, as well you dont need super duper servos , just get some simple ones. Better yet there are some really fast servos on rc-mart for like 30 dollars a pop , get those before you decide to get 80 dollar 9550 and 9451's.

Also be sure to get the 3pks at least too.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
If you check out a lot of threads on this issue. Youll find me saying , go into a lhs and feel them all out , this makes a big difference. You gotta see how you like each one in your own hands.

The notables though are 3pk is the fastest radio out, as well you dont need super duper servos , just get some simple ones. Better yet there are some really fast servos on rc-mart for like 30 dollars a pop , get those before you decide to get 80 dollar 9550 and 9451's.

Also be sure to get the 3pks at least too.
Which fast servos are you talking about? Any specific brand? I have checked rc-mart and don't know which you mean (there's alot of them there).

To be more specific how much torque do I need and what is considered fast. Also some transmitters say in the description to only use digital servos (synthesized transmitters like Futaba 3PKS for instance). If true, this limits the options for servos.

Last edited by Dredd; 02-02-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
Old 02-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

i would buy an m11 and leave the stock module it much faster than spektrum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.