R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #16

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
9451 for steering and throttle
Better setup would be 9550 on both or at least 9550 on throttle. Similiar speeds , less weight , smaller profile.

The ones im talking about on rcmart are tower pro servos , they cost 20-30 and have quick speeds and are digital. Ive used them and they seem to work great. Very fast. Only drawback is there plastic geared , but that hasnt caused trouble and the servo itself is like half the weight of a 9451. Great weight savings , good money saving and so far so good. But this is just my thoughts on things. Everyone has there own ideas.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Better setup would be 9550 on both or at least 9550 on throttle. Similiar speeds , less weight , smaller profile.

The ones im talking about on rcmart are tower pro servos , they cost 20-30 and have quick speeds and are digital. Ive used them and they seem to work great. Very fast. Only drawback is there plastic geared , but that hasnt caused trouble and the servo itself is like half the weight of a 9451. Great weight savings , good money saving and so far so good. But this is just my thoughts on things. Everyone has there own ideas.
ahh ok I was looking at metal gear servos. Was concerned with plastic being a problem, but you answered that pretty well. Thanks
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One thing I would like to add here is this. If you know you're going to be doing this for at least a year, don't buy things twice. Buy the good stuff up front and you won't be paying double later, because you found out that the cheaper product wasn't good enough for you needs. That applies to tools as well.

The Futaba servos are a good choice. You want something that has plenty of torque for both the steering and throttle. An engine like the Team Orion CRF has a pretty strong return spring, so this is where a strong throttle servo counts!
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Thanks for all your help guys. I decided to go with the KO Helios and Futaba servos to start with. Later on I may upgrade to the spektrum, but for the price I found that the Helios had most of the features I wanted or would need and the price was reasonable too.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
One thing I would like to add here is this. If you know you're going to be doing this for at least a year, don't buy things twice. Buy the good stuff up front and you won't be paying double later, because you found out that the cheaper product wasn't good enough for you needs. That applies to tools as well.

The Futaba servos are a good choice. You want something that has plenty of torque for both the steering and throttle. An engine like the Team Orion CRF has a pretty strong return spring, so this is where a strong throttle servo counts!
Well said
Old 02-04-2007, 03:18 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
Thanks for all your help guys. I decided to go with the KO Helios and Futaba servos to start with. Later on I may upgrade to the spektrum, but for the price I found that the Helios had most of the features I wanted or would need and the price was reasonable too.
Good choice, I'm using the same radio but with the spektrum pro module.
Neil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil777
Good choice, I'm using the same radio but with the spektrum pro module.
It also felt pretty good in my hands. The M11 was slightly heavy, not overly so but just enough that I didn't care for it too much. The 3PKs was also a little heavier than the Helios and I felt the ability to add extensions on the handle and pivots on the steering knob (dunno the proper name hehe) gave more options.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
It also felt pretty good in my hands. The M11 was slightly heavy, not overly so but just enough that I didn't care for it too much. The 3PKs was also a little heavier than the Helios and I felt the ability to add extensions on the handle and pivots on the steering knob (dunno the proper name hehe) gave more options.
Yes the steering wheel extension is a great addition.
Neil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I

plastic gears this is why i dont run them and iv had problems with them
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

If you are getting KO Helios, why not match it w/ KO servos. I have servos from different brands. I always prefer to match them as the center point will be closer. I have both helios and m11, and I run both brand servos. I always felt a little better when both the servos and radios are the same brand.

One thing to keep in mind is that, if u use KO/Airtronics radios, you need to servo reverse if u use futaba servos. If you have more than one car, make sure you don't have a futaba servo for throttle in one of them and airtronics/ko/hitec servo in another car. if you forget to turn off the rx pack in one car, you will fry your throttle servo. I did that.