R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Springs

THE LAST TIME I POSTED A QUESTION EVERYBODY RESPONDED QUICKLY AND HELPFUL THANKS FOR THE HELP; IT HELPED ME ALOT MY NEW QUESTION IS IM RUNNING A HPI NRS4 3 TYPE SS I AM CHANGING THE SHOCKS AND SPRINGS AND CURIOUS IF RULE OF THUMB IS THE SOFTER SPRING BELONGS IN THE REAR AND THE HARDER SPRING IN THE FRONT, THE SHOCKS IM THINKING OF USING ARE PART NUMBER HPI 6833 WHITE FOR THE REAR AND HPI 6835 FOR THE FRONTS THANKS
nitroblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to deanspoors
Default springs

springs...... if you have springs that are differant you want to put the softer on the back this so you get more grip to the rear wheels when the car is turning a corner...... for example if you puit softer springs on the front of your car this would make the front of the car grip more than the rear thus oversteer! lots doing the opposite will give understeer. something else you have to consider if the compound tyres you use! most people use harder compound tyres on the front of the car for less grip at the front to also give un
deanspoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to deanspoors
Default springs

springs...... if you have springs that are differant you want to put the softer on the back this so you get more grip to the rear wheels when the car is turning a corner...... for example if you put softer springs on the front of your car this would make the front of the car grip more than the rear thus oversteer!-lots, doing the opposite will give understeer. something else you have to consider is the compound of your tyres you use! most people use harder compound tyres on the front of the car for less grip at the front to also give understeer. if you are using the same compound all over you want to set the front springs quite hard!

hope ive helped, dean
deanspoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:22 PM   #4
Tech Master

Default Re: springs

Quote:
Originally posted by deanspoors
springs...... if you have springs that are differant you want to put the softer on the back this so you get more grip to the rear wheels when the car is turning a corner...... for example if you puit softer springs on the front of your car this would make the front of the car grip more than the rear thus oversteer! lots doing the opposite will give understeer. something else you have to consider if the compound tyres you use! most people use harder compound tyres on the front of the car for less grip at the front to also give un
I usually adjust my front diff settings before I try really hard front springs. It works better for my driving style, and allows me to apply more power earlier.

Also, your explanation of the effect of springs doesn't take into account for springs that are too soft, which could lead to a car that pushes too much or other strange things.

With my old rs4, I preffered to have the same tire all around, have green springs in front, orange or yellow in the rear with a pretty tight front diff.
This might only be the case with the old rs4, but it usually wanted to drift around corners and kept doing that upon exit, this stopped some of that tendency.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:12 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Re: Springs

Quote:
Originally posted by nitroblade
I AM CHANGING THE SHOCKS AND SPRINGS AND CURIOUS IF RULE OF THUMB IS THE SOFTER SPRING BELONGS IN THE REAR AND THE HARDER SPRING IN THE FRONT, THE SHOCKS IM THINKING OF USING ARE PART NUMBER HPI 6833 WHITE FOR THE REAR AND HPI 6835 FOR THE FRONTS THANKS
nitroblade;

STOP YELLING!!!!

Softer in the Rear or equal F/R. I think that the HPI White #6833 is WAY too soft. Yellow, eh....., better to start with the Red #6835 springs in the Rear. Buy some Greens for the Front, and go from there.
If you decide to race, don't forget that Tires are #1 when working on your set-up. Find a set-up that is acceptable and learn to drive it.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:22 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

The softer the spring, the less quickly the car will respond, it will want to roll on the suspension. and then its hard to flick through a quick right-left section, and even harder for a right-left-right sort of area

but too hard and u will slide around the track

But for a set-up, every one rekons learn on a really stable set-up, but me, where i am still learning, run on a very loose setup so i can learn to handle sliding of the car.
The looser u learn to drive it, the quicker u will get, and then the even looser u can set the car up for.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote