R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Mixing My own Fuel (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/146793-mixing-my-own-fuel.html)

ProE 01-28-2007 05:59 AM

Mixing My own Fuel

I want to start mixing my own fuel for onroad racing (200mm 16% nitro). Any important tips that you guys can give me. Things to do and things not to do. We don't get any of the top fuel brands here, and the quality of pre-mixed fuels that we get is not always of a high standard.

Joe Chaplow 01-28-2007 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ProE
I want to start mixing my own fuel for onroad racing (200mm 16% nitro). Any important tips that you guys can give me. Things to do and things not to do. We don't get any of the top fuel brands here, and the quality of pre-mixed fuels that we get is not always of a high standard.

i have mixed my fuel before and it is a hobby of its own. but since you can not get good fuel, i guess it would be worth while. when you deal with the methanol, make sure that you keep the lid on the container and as soon as you pour it put it right back on, it abosrbs water out of the air very quickly. i would even suggest mixing on less humid days. also, store in dry (non humid) areas. also, you want to use good castor oil. its very important. stay away from degummed castor oil (its synthetically extracted from the castor bean). you want virgin castor oil, sometimes referred to as pressed castor oil. which is exactly as the name sounds, it is hard pressed right from the bean. try different amounts of castor versus synthetic oil. i would start at 6% castor oil and 2% synthetic oil. you dont want all castor cause it will give less power to your nitro. also, when you measure your castor, nitro, and methanol, try to measure it by weight versus volume. my 2 cents, hope it helps.

NITROKID 01-28-2007 07:20 AM

own mixing

Hi there,good to see someone from S.A.

I mix my own fuel for off road buggys.
currently i am mixing:25% nitro,10%synthetic oil,3%castor,62%methanol.

You are welcome to give me a call,i have a few buddies that race on road that also mix.

Nic

ProE 01-28-2007 09:17 AM

Thanks Guys,

What ratio should I mix for 16% fuel, that would make it Legal, fast and would make my engine last.

Nitrokid,

Where do you buy all your fuel contents from locally?

Corse-R 01-28-2007 10:22 AM

Thanks Guys,

What ratio should I mix for 16% fuel, that would make it Legal, fast and would make my engine last.

Nitrokid,

Where do you buy all your fuel contents from locally?

I used two different recipes when I was mixing my own fuel.

Recipe 1:
- 16% Nitro
- 8% Castor & 2% Synthetic.
- 74% Methanol.

Recipe 2:
- 16% Nitro.
- 9% Castor.
- 75% Methanol.

You can use Klotz products, are one of the best oils you can get easily.

Delta9 01-28-2007 10:39 AM

NitroKid, another one from SA here, where do you get your nitro from are you in JHB or pretoria? been wanting to mix my own fuel for a while but all i an find is industrial nitro and its not pure enough.Thanks man :nod:

ProE 01-28-2007 12:37 PM

NITROKID and Corse-R

currently i am mixing:25% nitro,10%synthetic oil,3%castor,62%methanol.

8% Castor & 2% Synthetic
One of you use a greater % caster oil and the other one a greater % Synthetic.

1)What is the Advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

2)Am I correct in assuming from your posts that for legal 16% nitro fuel, I must have 16% of the total volume/mass NITRO in my mixture. Then I should have about 8-10% oil (castor/synthetic) and the rest must be methanol.

razzor 01-28-2007 02:40 PM

Mixing fuel is trick as there is a lot of different blends and recipes.
castor is a safety factor and doesnt break down like a fully sysnthetic.
% of oil is another trick topic.
For performance a minimum of 9% total oil for performance and up to 12% is common ,more than this is more for bashing messing around and takes more abuse.

I run Wiseman fuels that is mixed for me by Dave Wiseman the SA Serpent distributor.
There is a different mix if using Klotz KL-100 ,Klotz KL-200 ,Klotz BeNOL Racing Castor Oil or Klotz Super TechniPlate.
The higher grade KLotz oils are a combo of sythetic and purified ,degummed castor oil.These oils Id recomend 10% for giving the engien a extra bit of protection from abuse it gets.
I know of guys that use a s little as 7% oil in there 16% fuels for pure perfomance.
Ratio for mix is pretty straight forward 16% fuel ,10% oil Klots and 74% methanol.
Quality of the fuel will depend also on the methanol and nitro used.
Nitro can be bought at a few places in JHB.

NITROKID 01-29-2007 11:30 AM

fuel mix

hi there

i am in pietermaritzburg,i buy the nitro and synthetic oil from slick time,
in hillcrest.it costs R90.00/litre of nitro and a couple of bob for the oil(lasts so long cant remember how much it was)i know mike wiseman does sometimes get from jhb.Mike and Dave are very helpful and have been in the game for years,there no. is 031-3054466.

Corse-R 01-29-2007 01:54 PM

One of you use a greater % caster oil and the other one a greater % Synthetic.

1)What is the Advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

2)Am I correct in assuming from your posts that for legal 16% nitro fuel, I must have 16% of the total volume/mass NITRO in my mixture. Then I should have about 8-10% oil (castor/synthetic) and the rest must be methanol.

The main advantages of going thru the way of castor oil is simple. Castor oil is the unique who withstands the abuses caused on the combustion chamber of the engines (name it... 2 stroke karts, 2stoke motorbikes, 2 stroke glow engines).
b
It burns at higher temp than synthetic and when it burns still leaves a residue capable of lubricating (the grime that everyone blames...). Synthetic, when burned it leaves no residue so nothing can lubricate. The unique advantage of synthetic oils is the no-residue after burn.

Why I went with higher castor content? just because I tried different percentages, changing the ratio and found very different behaviours on the same day with the same engine and almost the same weather conditions.

Seems a rationale that glow engines needs a 10 or 12% oil to keep in good conditions and have an acceptable wear ratio.

Why I went at such low percentage? easy, because in race conditions you want the maximum power of your engine (that's the cause you put a lot of change on the desk to buy that shiznit engine). And what's the part who doesnt' give energy during combustion?... the oil.

Less oil means more nitro and more methanol on your combustion chamber - on the past, in extreme conditions some people went up (well.. that's better said low) to 4% oil.

The tradeoff could be a 'reduced engine life', but if you want the most of your engine, you need to trade some durability (you may need to ask yourself about this). For practice I used a little more oil, just because I didn't needed that 'extra'.

If you know what to search and where (tip: here there's a lot of valuable posts about this). You could find some very interesting posts from Dennis Richey about some very fine oils from Union Carbide.

Do a search for UCON LB-625 and others, maybe you can manage to grab a little and maybe try it. If not, going with Klotz Bėnol and Original Techniplate is a sure way to go (be warned about techniplate is already a mix of Castor/Synth oils).

Actually, what I use currently is RunnerTime fuel and seems to be a 100% castor oil based fuel, is expensive, but is really good and like how the engines are after use. Maybe for a test you can enjoy doing some chemistry, but is a hassle to do for yourself and at little scale.