R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-10-2003, 04:52 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default alignment on the hpi nitro rs4 3 type ss

i need some help , does anybody happen to know the specs or a good racing specs for the rear/front suspension (caster,camber,toe) and maybe some good hop-ups for the front and rear suspension thanks alot
nitroblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

i would put 0-1 degree toe out in front 2-3 degrees toe in rear

1-2 degrees neg camber in front 2-3 degrees neg camber in rear

if caster is adjustable leave it nuetral for starters
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
Tech Elite

nitroblade;

MY recommendation is ZERO Toe in the Front to start. Nice and neutral steering feel for starters. Adjust to Toe-out for more turn-in and Toe-in to tame the steering down.

MAXIMUM Rear Toe-in on ALL of the current HPI 1/10th Nitro cars is 2 Degrees.

Use the 10 degree Caster blocks to start, nice and neutral steering.

Start with -1 degree Camber on rubber tires and adjust based on tire wear and handling. With foams up to -2 degrees Camber is exceptable.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

yeh stick with the 0 degree toe-in on the front =) is toe in adjustable on the rear wheels on the ss? i have no idea i just asked my buddy to set mine up for me
dumadiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Guys;

REAR Toe on the HPI Nitro Cars is adjusted by changing the Rear Hub Carriers. HPI makes them in 2 Degree (The Maximum) and 1 degree. They are marked L/R and 1 or 2 which is the TOTAL amount of rear toe availible. I have NEVER been able to find REAR Toe Hubs for the Nitro cars to increase above 2 degrees Total. For large High Traction racetracks this is enough, but for small loose tracks, more would be desireable.

Try the set-up I suggested to start with. You can make changes after based on how the car feels at the track. Good luck racing.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

yo pops wat spring/oil shock setup r u running? i just put in 40 rear 45 front havent put it on the track yet... looking for a middle ground between bash and race leaning more towards the race
Old 03-12-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
I have NEVER...
, I have, but unfortunately, it was a guy that made it at home and only ran it for a short while. Obviously worked great, and HPI said that they would think about making it for their cars (yeah right ) when they saw it in a picture. Never seen much like it since.

Wolfpack radicals make (made) a pivotball conversion for the supernitro, but nothing else was available to increase the toe-in for the RS4 1/10 scale series... too bad, many guys would have bought it... and my point is a homemade project is all you can do.

40 and 45 weight oil should be good, but I used 50 and 45 usually, but I was using sorex 36R's on a pretty good surface.

Personally, I preffered 1 degree of toe-out on the front end, because unlike many believe, it made my car more stable in a straight line as well as coming out of a corner ( where the RS4 nitros suck most). It didn't track straight as an arrow down the straight away, but it was more stable and not as twitchy elsewhere on the track.

My experience... take what you want, but my main point is that toe-in on the front end isn't the best thing for this car.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dumadiscount
yo pops wat spring/oil shock setup r u running? i just put in 40 rear 45 front havent put it on the track yet... looking for a middle ground between bash and race leaning more towards the race
Most people use yellow or reds in the rear, with black or green (some even like blue) springs up front. The rs4 is a very strange car because I've seen quite a few of them, and seemingly none of them share the same setup even when they were racing each other at the same time.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by dumadiscount
Normally that is what I run in ALL of my cars 45F/40R. I was looking at the set-up sheet for the Super, and i think that I still have 60F/50R from racing on High traction asphalt last season. Am going to have to change it back to 45/40.

Red #6835 in the Rear is a good starting point for most parking lot tracks. Green #6837 or Black #6836 (stock) springs in the Front. If I need more steering, I'll use a Red/Red.
IMHO, with the HPI Nitro cars, if you keep the spring rates F/R closer together, the car handles MUCH better.

Im2lazy;

I have to agree with you on that. I feel this is because the HPI Nitro cars are so NUMB to any changes. One weekend your hooked-up and TQ, the next weekend at the same track, the car is all over the place and your fighting just to keep from being last.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz

Hey PopsRacer...I see you're from So Cali. What track do you race at? I just got into nitro and go to Crystal Park.
mckrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:32 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

thanks guys =) i am gonna run 45F/40R with Green springs F/Black R and see how i go. It sure is confusing after seeing so many variations on setup for the rs4 3... the hpi site gives one with 30wt front and 60 rear? and ive heard everything from white/yellow spring setups to blue/purple. i guess it all depends on the style of driving =/