R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Starter box

What is the best starter box I can get to start my rc10gt? I bought a duratrax at the local hobby shop about 3 weeks ago and its the biggest pos ive ever owned. First day the pos connecters came off the motor so I soldered all them and that got it back working untill the switch fu so i took it apart and fixed that and now today I was going to use it and one of the motors is bad so i took it apart and was going to replace it with a stock motor I had laying around but you cant get the sleave off the shaft. Does anybody know how or where I can get the parts to fix this pos?Duratrax apperently changed the design and dont have the parts listed that i need. Unless I can use the new type of pinion and press it on another motor hopefully one that is not made by them. Is there a better way? This thing has made me hate starter boxes im new to nitro and knowing what I know now i would have gave up what ever power advantage you lose by running a pull start to not have to deal with this if all starter boxes are this aggravating.I paid as much for this thing as I could have bought a associated or another brand online for but was tring to support the local shop and took the dudes word that it was a decent box and now im just out 70mfn dollars.Thanks any help would be appreciated.
riley1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If it is 3 weeks ago then you should send it back for warranty.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Tech Regular

buy the rc1d starter box heres the link http://rc10.com/newprod/1750_starterbox.htm
there yo go
Old 01-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

I agree, send that POS back! My favorite starter boxes would be the Serpent one, it has a special fitting for the RC10 GT...and my other favorite is an Ofna. I've had my Ofna for about 10 years and still does the job. In fact I use the Ofna for 1:8 scale onroad and the Serpent for both 10th and 8th scale onroad. I would see if you could get your money back and get a GOOD starter box. You shouldn't have these problems for years down the road, let alone weeks. My Ofna easily has 350K miles on it and has ALWAYS been dependable. These are more compact then the one Mugendude suggested. However, I have the one he suggested too and it's a very nice box. I just haven't used it that much, so don't know about the longevity. Plus like I said, it's not as compact as the others I listed because of the motor sticking out. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well I went ahead and ordered the associated. I liked the way the ofna looked but didnt now anything about there stuff so I went with what I new. As far as the other box goes I got pretty pissed this afternoon and attemting to get the bushing thing off I damaged it so I figuerd I fked myself on the warrenty but the hobby shop is more than a hour from the house and I lost my temper.I think I cant buy the newer style pinions and press them on some decent motors and proably make a decent box out of the whole thing with a little time. I have just got back in the sport and all my previous expercience is in electric but nobody runs offroad electric around here anymore so I thought id try a nitro not much luck with it yet. I can take my b4 buggy with a mod in it and run better times with it. Thanks for all of yalls help and im going to try to get this thing setup to run if I can ever get a starter box to hold out long enough. Just another lesson learned stick with what you know works and leave the rest alone.
riley1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Well dude, sorry to hear about the rough start. But in the long run, with enough patients you will learn to love nitro. There is a learning curve going from electric to nitro. However, your B4 lap times will only be good for about 5-10 minutes. Where as your GT will go non stop for 60 minutes. Plus when you learn to drive and set it up properly, you'll be doing the same lap times. Just take your time from here on out. It wasn't your fault that you were sold a POS! The box you bought is a killer one and you should have NO problems with it. Give the nitro the time and respect it needs to learn it, and you won't want to go back to electric very often if ever. Good luck bro!