R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Default 8th Scale

I fell the same way, 8th scales are fast!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358
I do have both scales, 10th and 1/8.
I have a couple of Kyosho RRRs, and some Mugens.
In 1/8 scale I have an Evolva, and also a PRP XR8
Even though the XR8 is not quite up to par as the Evolva, when set-up right, the car handles great. I actually have more tme in driving the XR8 than I do my Evolva. Parts for the PRP cars, XR8, and the RTR XR80 are very cheap, and very durable. For practice, I buy off-name brands and only pay around $18,00 for a full set at the track. But for racing, you would want a couple of good sets. These cars use the Serpent style wheel. A good set of tires will run somewhere around $32.00 and up for a full set.I would have to say that parts for the XR8 run around a little more than 1/2 of what the Kyosho parts run. Check out e-bay or even some other sites, and you will probably find used Evolvas, Mugens, Serpents and PRP in both 10th and 1/8 scale at a fraction of the cost of new ones.Dont let the "high" cost of 1/8 scale stop you, as there are choices in both used or in the case of PRP new cars to be had. Once you try 1/8 scale, you will find it is a whole different world.
so are you saying to go with 1/8 scale? I do think the PRP XR80 RTR is a killer deal, I mean since most 1/8 go for a ton more cash just for the kit (no radio etc). I guess tomorrow I'll go to the LHS and talk to some guys...see what they like and why. Maybe get an idea of what tracks are around here and how well they accomidate 1/8. That may make my decision. If there isn't many places to run a 1/8 then I should stick with 1/10.
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

1/8 scale is the [email protected]#. Sure can run 1/8 scale on small tracks and still have a great time. Unleashing the speed of a .21 is pure bliss. You will have to spend money in this hobby regardless, if you take it easy and drive carefully it won't empty your pockets.
gashuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Have any of the 1/8 drivers used Virtual RC, if so how does it compare to the real thing. I really enjoy driving the 1/8 cars on vrc and whilst in real life I've got a TM G4 I'm seriously considering 1/8. Would the hours put in on vrc help me adjust to 1/8 in real life?
Neil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

If you choose 1/10th, I have a Kyosho RRR World Edition (WCE) for sale. Includes all the hop ups of the world edition plus a lightweight titanium two speed shaft (made by kyosho), lightweight titanium shafts in the rear differential (made by kyosho), aluminum wheel hubs (made by skyline) and a blue aluminum pipe holder (made by skyline). I have not run it a whole lot. The bottom of the chasis has some scratches but in good conditions. Super clean car, built by a fully sponsored driverís mechanic. Including a brand new chasis as well. I did not swap out the chasis because the one that is on it has not been run that much and still in good shape. Also included will be a X12 engine (novarossi based) modified by JP ($400 engine) and a brand new skyline v12 pipe ($55 value). The engine has about 3/4 gallon to 1 gallon run through it. Super good compression and broken in by Art Carbonnel. The car plus hop ups cost me about $600 plus the engine and pipe, it was all about $1,100. All for $499, pm with questions. I can post pictures if interested. This is a very good car and makes getting into the hobby very affordable.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1/8 or 10th

I run 1/8 and 10th, and purchased the Virtual Racing game with the extra tracks.
I also use my spare M11 radio for the transmitter.
I am very dissoppointed in the game, and have used it maybe a total of 10 times. I myself find it a waste of time and money.
The game, USB adapter, and extra games came to about $220.00,and for that much money, I guess I expected more.
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

In what way did you find it disappointing?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil777
Have any of the 1/8 drivers used Virtual RC, if so how does it compare to the real thing. I really enjoy driving the 1/8 cars on vrc and whilst in real life I've got a TM G4 I'm seriously considering 1/8. Would the hours put in on vrc help me adjust to 1/8 in real life?
No Neil, it is nowhere near real I/8 scales. VRC is nice to have and play around but don't make a mistake that you can substitute a real track time with a simulator. try to get a used quality 1/8 scale and just hit the track, you will not be disapointed. you think VRC 1/8 scale is a blast? wait till you actually run the real thing on a race track.

Last edited by RCRjuanabbe; 01-22-2007 at 11:46 AM.
RCRjuanabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
so are you saying to go with 1/8 scale? I do think the PRP XR80 RTR is a killer deal, I mean since most 1/8 go for a ton more cash just for the kit (no radio etc). I guess tomorrow I'll go to the LHS and talk to some guys...see what they like and why. Maybe get an idea of what tracks are around here and how well they accomidate 1/8. That may make my decision. If there isn't many places to run a 1/8 then I should stick with 1/10.
Check your budget and track near you. I would not recommend this scale if you can't enjoy it. this scale is the most expensive and most tidious scale around. competitively speaking of course. forget about it if you do not have the time and budget. Please do not misunderstand me.... not very many people that I know of that run this scale (competitively speaking of course) are on a budget. this scale is so wide open. weigh your option carefully.. do not let the bug bite you. it gets wayyyyyyyy expensive. you can keep the expenses low only if you have the toughness not to spend needlessly. it can be done. good luck.
RCRjuanabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRjuanabbe
No Neil, it is nowhere near real I/8 scales. VRC is nice to have and play around but don't make a mistake that you can substitute a real track time with a simulator. try to get a used quality 1/8 scale and just hit the track, you will not be disapointed. you think VRC 1/8 scale is a blast? wait till you actually run the real thing on a race track.

Thanks, at the moment I mainly race offroad with my Kyosho 777 fitted with an RB C6BB engine. I've got my G4 for onroad but think I'd enjoy 1/8 more but wondered how big a jump it would be.

Neil
Old 01-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

I should say sorry to Dredd for hijacking your topic, but its answering some questions I've been having.

Neil
Old 01-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1/8 or 10th

nuff said.
games can not compare to the actual track time.
Far as I am concerened, not even close.
If I would have known before hand, I would have never purchased it.
Hell, I would rather have just taken that much money and dumped it into an arcade game if I wanted to play a game.
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just picked up VRC and yes, it doesn't compare to racing the real thing, but it can help racers work on a lot of skills that they need when they are actually out at the track - driving line, consistency, passing, throttle control, taking turns properly, etc, etc. It's not a waste of money.

With regard to choosing between 1/10th and 1/8th: IMO, it's more fun when there are more racing opportunities and more people to race with. At our track, it's always fun to complete against different people in different mains. It makes things more exciting than racing the same people all the time and you can gauge your performance against everyone else as you progress in knowledge and skill.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

You can buy a really good used car for the same price as that simulator. Sell off your stuff and get an 1/8. closest thing to real racing.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dredd

I purchased an XR80 RTR on rctech about 6 months ago b/c I wanted a "low cost" introduction into the Formula One of RC racing, 1/8th scale onroad. To make a long story short, it seems like it would be difficult to be competitive in this class on a tight budget.

Now, to make a short story long. I initially paid $250 for the XR89 RTR car/stock .27 engine combo (I had to install my own radio gear). What a deal, right? Well after I purchased the carbon fiber goodies, the one piece engine mount, and (the soon to be purchased) Centax clutch, my $250 low cost introduction just cost me an additional $170 (approximate).
If thats not enough, the engine that comes with the XR80 has a unique shaft start system that requires a special engine mount. The mount sits higher than usual to accomadate the shaft starter on the engine. The stock engine is a .27 (therefore not race legal) so plan to invest in a decent race-legal .21 onroad engine. The cost of one of these "fire-breathing" bad boys, $280-700, not to mention the exhaust system which will run you $50-120 (approximate).

If you dont have solid radio gear be ready to shell out some scrilla for a good radio. You could get a nice transmitter (used M8, etc..) for $120-350. The XR80 comes with "cheap" plastic geared servos. Not cool for nitro powered vehicles. There are several options when it comes to servo selection, two (decent) servos could cost you $80-250. Fuel will probably be in the ball park of $25-30/gallon (and these engines burn a lot of nitro). Tires are also a huge factor in 1/8th scale onroad. If you plan to race on a regular basis (weekly or even a few times a month) be ready to shell out $45-60 each go-round on tires.

Dredd, I dont mean to turn you off to racing 1/8th scale but dont be fooled. It is not cheap, compared to other rc classes. If you want to be competitive you have to be willing to shell out some dough. If the money is not a problem, learn to how to drive (and race) with the 1/10th scale car. Once you become comfortable with that, move on up to the Formula One Class.

Good luck with your decision and have fun.
Loren

Last edited by llamont; 01-28-2007 at 07:37 PM.
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote