Breakin In- Running Rich BUT no SMOKE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breakin In- Running Rich BUT no SMOKE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Breakin In- Running Rich BUT no SMOKE?

I got a question, i'm on my first nitro car.
Kyosho v-one S, i've just completed building it, and was doing the break in today. I've done as the manual advises, leave the needles two turns from close. I managed to get the engine firing away after ONE pull... (using 5% fuel) and it idles nicely, spitting out raw fuel. Anyway i decide to stop it after 1/2 a tank to let it cool down, then i idle the next 1/2 tank. And finishing the tank i realised that no smoke is blowing out of the exhaust.... now if i remember correctly shouldn't it be blowing out thick smoke and spit out raw fuel??

After i completed the 1 tank of idling, i decide to do the rest of it tomorrow. I pack it up, unsipton the remaining fuel and squirt some WD-40 through the glow plug hole. (The hobby shop told me that the 5% break in fuel already contains the after run oil stuff). And make sure it flows through.

Anyway the next day, i try and get it starting again... but no luck... something BAD has happened overnight... not sure what it could be. Perhaps i' have WRECKED my engine with the WD-40 stuff.

My elbow is so sore from pulling the pullstart.

And i'm really dispointed.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Initiate

I checked the glow plug, and stuffed it up using a 4 X AA to start the GP soI replaced it with an OS #8. and it glows fine, and bought the proper 1.5V 4amp battery... so nothing wrong with GP.

still somethign wrong...
sad day, i almost wanna cry
Old 03-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

try pulling out the glow plug and pull start it a couple of timeswhile turned upside down and see how much stuff comes out of the glowplug hole...... do this with no fuel in the tank....

If you can do the break in with some 20% like Byrons--trinity--or o-donnell..... it will not hurt anything and after break in you can use the same fuel to play with ....

What motor do you have

Do you have access to a temp gun
Old 03-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok i'll give that a try. (does turning it upside down, and pulling it, remove excess fuel/flooded engine)

Haven't used the 20% fuel, because i was too scared i might mess something up and engine will over rev.

Engine is GS-15R (pull start)

Unfortunately dont' have access to temp gun..
Thanks for quick reply
Old 03-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Tech Master

I'd stick to 20% fuel. 5% fuel is made for airplane engines (usually), and is not quite "the right stuff" for car engines. Simply put, stick with 20% (not race fuel for now). Break-in fuel might be good for break-in, but for normal running use some type of 'Backyard basher/sport" fuel.

Are your needles (for sure) set for break-in as it was originally? If you don't have much luck, your hobby should help.

I personally don't idle, or run my car very rich when I break-in my engines (not for a while), and I have a bad memory even at my young age, so I can't help too much unless I was there.