Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro RS4 SS not likin me too much

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation RS4 SS not likin me too much

I thought it was a bout time i joined, lol. too many problems!

Anywho, after 2 years of workin my _ _ _ off, i finally got the car started 2 days ago. i tuned it and all, they're were only 2 major problems. the throttle was set rong, so when i would put on the brake, the air flow would be cut off from the engine, and the car would stall. i figured out how to fix that, w00t. the second, i cant get the car to shift into second gear. i used the black spring like the manual said. i screwed it in all the way, and took it out 2 turns (most will think 2.5 - 3, but hpi made an update to that, and made it 2). stil no dice. now today when i went to run it, it was too rich, so i made it more lean, like, 1/16 of a turn. now, it wont start again. i spent 4 hours today tryin everything i could. i took it in to hobby works, they did worse than i did, no offense. idk what to do. all i need it to get it started and tuned right, and to get it to shift into 2nd gear. also, one minor thing. ill get the car started, and ill use the throttle. ill put the brake on all the way (after i fixed it), and release it. and without doing anything, the car would go up to full throttle again (the throttle servo doesnt move)...any ideas?

Last edited by SpeedDemon911; 01-15-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

i just read the forum about the rs4 3 evo, ima go out and try a new glow plug. however, i stil need help with the 2nd gear even if i do start the engine
Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dude, as for the second gear problem, you need to make sure that your engine is dialed in and leaned out properly for maximum performance. Then and only then will you have the chance to set up your second gear. Your engine tuning can effect your second gear tuning as much if not more then the 2nd gear screws itself. If or when you have the engine tuned properly, make sure that you are not starting out in second gear. This can happen as well by having the screws out too far. When they say 2 turns out, this is just your starting point. You may need to go in or out depending on all variables. Make sure that both screws are screwed out equally as well. Another thing, only start to tune your 2nd gear after the engine is up to running temp. Hope this sheds some light for you.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

hmm, well i think i no y its not starting, i can get that. but as for second gear, u said both screws. what are the 2? i only know of 1. also, i may need help tuning the engine for that then. the one screw i no of is out about 2 1/16 turns. i just blew a glow plug cause im stupid like that, so i have 2 left. do u have a link for instructions, or maybe u can help me, on tuning it for the second gear. but ya, whats the second screw?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

nah, i cant get it started. idk whats up. it worked 2 days ago nicely
Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Maybe your second gear only has one screw? I'm sorry but I have never owned that car, I just assumed it had a second screw. I will help you research that part. But in the meantime, what engine are you running? And don't blame yourself for the glow plug going bad, they just do, unless you have problems elsewhere like a bad engine or incorrect head shimming.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

the piston was damaged, and i bought a new one. the next day is when i got the engine started for the first time.
Engine
2 Speed <if that doesnt help at all, i can take a pic of the screw
Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

actually, this should be a better pic of the 2 speed
Old 01-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

OK dude, I see your type of second gear now. I'm sorry, those do only have one screw. Sorry to confuse you. Anyway, we need to get the engine running first. I understand that you put in a new piston and sleeve, is this correct? If so, then you will NOT be hitting second gear because you need to break in the engine first. Like 5-8 tanks at a richer setting. You NEED to do this first before you mess with second gear. I would put your second gear back to the 2 turns out. As for your engine not starting, HMMMM....where to start? I would put your carb screws to "factory" settings, make sure that your glow plug is good, your getting fuel to the carb, and the your glow driver is FULLY charged. We need a good starting point here. A new engine, or new rebuilt engine can be stuburn. One question, when you had it running the other day, were you running it rich (lots of smoke out of the exhaust)? You NEED to do this or you risk damaging the engine. Let me know where you are at with all this.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

i've already done the break-in with the new piston. everything is fine, the glow plugs glow pretty bright, i get burned badly when i touch it, lol. i have factory settings on the car too
Old 01-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

sounds still like a blockage or tuning issue, but...just a thought, have you taken your flywheel off at all when having the engine out? Even if not its worth a check...take your engine out and make sure your clutch nut is screwed fully down as tight as poss, as i changed my rs4 engine when i had, and when i came to put the standard engine back in to sell it, it wouldn't start for love nor money, turns out my flywheel had losened itself and was stopping the engine starting, soon as i'd nipped it up and locktited it and it fired right up!

Worth a try...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

now that u mention it, the flywheel is a bit loose, and i have taken if the engine off, and screwed it down. it comes off cause i start my engine with a drill, as in the vibrations. should i put more thread lock on the screw to hold it on? it doesnt look like its slipping tho
Old 01-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

im in the precess of re-tuning the entire engine to factory settings or w/e u wanna call it.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah i used a rota start on my engine, and it just wastnt starting, and ended up flatening the batterys so put my car on my starter box and realised staright away it wasn't even turning the engine over, and just slipping....with the fly wheel being only a little bit loose will put the engine off balance and not let it start.

For me, i used a really small wood cramp, and pulled the fly as hard as possible back onto the brass collet with the other end of the cramp on the back of the engine...then holding the flywheel with some molegrips tighten the pilot nut up as tight as i could, and use pa few drops of locktite on the crank thread to help stop it vibrating loose.

I know how frustrating it is, as i stripped me carb down bit by bit, cleaned everything poss, tried every needle setting and still nothing, then found out it was only the flywheel, huh, annoyed wasn't the word!

With factory settings in the carb, get your flywheel tightend up and try again, hopefully it will fire right up!?

Good luck, let us know how ya get on.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanx for the tip, i checked the fly wheel, its fine. now when i look at the tuning shit hpi provides about my engine, i see that when i adjusted 2 of the settings, well. i got them mixed up. im fixin that now, then ima go out and have some fun! (i hope) ill let u no if it works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.