R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #46
Tech Apprentice

well, if its part throttle, how come the wheels dont spin at all? as for the shift point, i hear it, i dont see a speed difference tho.....
SpeedDemon911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon911
well, if its part throttle, how come the wheels dont spin at all? as for the shift point, i hear it, i dont see a speed difference tho.....
Because you set your idle down so it is idling low even though it thinks the neutral point is where you set it. For shifting, no you won't notice an immediate jump in speed, but if you didn't have a 2speed you would see and hear the car stop accelerating and it would reach a top speed and stay there. When it shifts it allows the car to continue to accelerate.
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #48
Tech Apprentice

ahhhh, ok, but the idle is set at 1.5 mm gap, so idk
Old 01-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #49
Tech Apprentice

oooooo, nvm. i no what u mean, i understand. ill fix it tomoro
Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #50
Tech Apprentice

ok, well, its much better. now i can go almost all the way, but when i pulled the throttle all the way, it wasnt good. i was racin a truck, and i was passing it, and it cut out, so i almost got ran over (i being the car). also, i raced a car going 30, and i couldnt pass it, isnt 30 a tad slow when in second gear. fyi, i shift almost at max rpm's. i thought i should go 30 in first gear
Old 01-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #51
Tech Apprentice

actually, i just thought, should i richen the high speed needle, lean out the mid/low a lil, and make the idle gap only 1mm, cause now for some reason its 2mm. cause it'd go faster, wouldnt cut out, and the wheels wouldnt spin at idle, right?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #52
Tech Apprentice

UPDATE:

1) As for the car cutting out, that is because the high speed needle was in too far, so i fixed that.

2) The car goes much faster, idk y.

3) The 2 speed is shifting nicely, all thought, when is ideal shift point...low rpms, or high? cause right now, its almost at redline.

4) What are some things i can do to give it weight reduction? Its a bit heavy
Old 01-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon911
UPDATE:

1) As for the car cutting out, that is because the high speed needle was in too far, so i fixed that.

2) The car goes much faster, idk y.

3) The 2 speed is shifting nicely, all thought, when is ideal shift point...low rpms, or high? cause right now, its almost at redline.

4) What are some things i can do to give it weight reduction? Its a bit heavy
1) by in too far you mean too lean right? That's exactly what I told you before

2) it will go faster because it's going to definately run better with a proper tune.

3) The ideal shift point depends on you. Depends where you run, your gear setup, or if you race...the track length etc. You can turn the adjustment screw out more 1/8 turn at a time to make it shift sooner.

4) You can add carbon fiber parts wherever there is options for it. That will reduce weight vs plastic. The drawback is carbon fiber will snap easily if you wreck.
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #54
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
1) by in too far you mean too lean right? That's exactly what I told you before

2) it will go faster because it's going to definately run better with a proper tune.

3) The ideal shift point depends on you. Depends where you run, your gear setup, or if you race...the track length etc. You can turn the adjustment screw out more 1/8 turn at a time to make it shift sooner.

4) You can add carbon fiber parts wherever there is options for it. That will reduce weight vs plastic. The drawback is carbon fiber will snap easily if you wreck.
i thought u said the low needle was too lean, by bad. and i only race doing drags, so i have about 1/2 of straight road right next to my house
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #55
Tech Master

I easiest way to lighten the car is the remove the battery/receiver box. Also use a 5 cell AAA rechargable battery pack. The car is already really light. When your engine dies, you can get an OS TZ .18 for some serious power.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #56
Tech Apprentice

ok, so all ive really done is taken out the front gear box, and the 3 dog bones. so its a RWD now. that helped too.

im also thinkin, what about if i took my dremel, and carved out part of the bottom of the chassie (the purple base thing)
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #57
Tech Master

Don't cut up the chassis. The stock chassis is already on the flimsy side. You think its hard to control now, try it with a flexy chassis. Besides, having a car that's too light will be uncontrolable at high speeds. You don't seem to be concerned with acceleration since you went with 2 wheel drive, so why don't you gear it up for higher top speed.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #58
Tech Apprentice

i think its pretty easy to control actually. and as for 2 wheel drive, i did that to lighten the car, which i did, a lot. y would that affect acceleration. btw, the drive is in the back
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #59
Tech Apprentice

i have to put the gear box back in, the wheels spin so much, i can barely move! LOL. so much for that idea
Old 02-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #60
Tech Apprentice

my one-way bearing is bein stupid. so, it spins both ways, and doesnt latch on to the starter shaft. if i spin the bearing in the wrong direction long enough, and then spin it in the right diretction again, it latches on for a few seconds. anyone no how to fix this, cause i dont really wana pay for another bearing