R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
you'd have to see if you can fit it in there without removing everything. The easiest way to eliminate your trouble with pull start is to get a starter box. Just press the car's flywheel down on the wheel of the starter box and it will turn the motor over for you, that is if you have the glow plug igniter on there.

They're more expensive than the item you posted the link to however.

i no, my neighbor has one. he has 2 cars too. but since hes older, im kinda leavin him alone with this stuf. maybe just get a pull start, or go out and get a charger for my rotostart battery, which would u guys/girls recomend?
SpeedDemon911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #32
Tech Addict

I hate pull starts so much so I'd say get a battery charger
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:40 AM   #33
Tech Apprentice

ok, heres the update. its out 3, and it stil wont shift. it cuts out even sooner, so its too lean. and finally, i wiped out, and broke something, surgery time....thank god i have 2 cars that use the same parts!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice

scratch that
3.5, second gear works. i totalled the right side of the car tho...thank god engines ok!!!!!! and yes, so is the 2 speed
Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #35
Tech Addict

well, at least you got the tuning set. Were you driving the car with the body on?

I hardly ever drive with the body off, even though it's harder to tune since you have to remove the body to get at anything, it's alot safer when I'm doing high speed testing.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

i never drive with the body one, lol. im building a roll cage tho, ima see if i can use the welder at my school. well, its all done being repaired

lets try to not crash again

here is is if any of u wana see it
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9.../IMG_30782.jpg
Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

so, since i have 2 cars with the same base, and only one of them works, im thinking about having the second base mount on top, maybe a 2 inch clearance from the top of the engine, so if the car flips, nothing will break, hopefully. my road has many holy in it, and as u can see, my car doesnt like them very much....hense crashing into a curb in second gear (ya, it switched, blah blah, ) anyways, i hope ill have it up by this weekend. im also gonna have to do some drill work in the second bas if ima make it removeable easily for the starting of the engine.

btw, it is amazinly hard so kill the engine. i will cut off about 95% of the air supply to the engine, and the minimum time to stall is about 30 seconds, so i can run idle at very low rpm's without stalling, which is nice to save gas while ur waiting for a stupid car to get outa ur road space! as for the exhaust, well, the black manifold, i think that hit the curb first, cause its bent a lot, lol. since i cant attached a pipe to it (since it was bent, its way to short), i took the pipe off, took the manifold off, flipped the manifold around (so its coming out the back above the back right wheel) and its really nice. the only issue is noice, like, woah. i go more deaf than i do at drumline, this thing is louder than my neighbor's porsche gt2!!!! like, i have these special earphones i got for when i play drum set...i seriously think i need to wear them every time i use the car. my ears stil ring from about 7 hours ago! o well.

anyways, thank you all for the help, its been really nice "workin" with u. im stil tuning the second gear shifting a little bit, but i should get that down soon. ass for the "roll cage" ill have pics up as soon as im done!!

Ben
Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

ok, its shifting at a really nice spot. its stil cutting out too soon tho, idk whats wrong with it. about halfway is all i can go without it stalling. when it shifts into second, i even have to release the throttle a lil bit, or it will stall. i tried leaning it out, and makin it rich. i need to figure this out! lol

i got compliments about it tho, i have to hand them over to u guys tho
Old 01-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #39
Tech Addict

How rich did you make it? Running too lean = cut out.

I'd richen it up about 1 1/2 turns and see if that gives you any better results.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #40
Tech Apprentice

woah woah woah, 1 1/2??? what screw are u talkin about? high, or the medium/low?
Old 01-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #41
Tech Addict

don't touch the low or idle screw
Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Until you get the high needle set you really shouldn't touch anything else right yet...sometimes adjusting everything at once throws everything way off.

edit: It's always best IMO to start too rich and work your way to the lean point. Basically I'd put it really rich, get it warmed up and run a couple passes. Lean it out 1/4 at a time until the performance does not improve. You will notice the car want to die when you give it throttle and it will generally not be as good as it was when it was richer. Once you find the point that performance is bad or not as desired that is your max lean point based on various factors including fuel. Then richen the high needle about 1/4 and leave it. From there you can adjust your low needle and idle. For the low needle I lean it out just until it wants to go as soon as you hit the throttle. There should be no hesitation or sputtering.

That's just my way of tuning it. I'm constantly playing with settings on my car still. Doesn't have the right feel yet. I think I got it today though. It was performing well, and shifting fine.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #43
Tech Apprentice

ok, so the carb needle, got it. ive been only touchin idle and low, but as i tune, i need to keep lowering the idle, cause its performing well. ill work on carb needle now, thanx for all ur help dredd
Old 01-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

fyi, idk if u may already no this, but ima inform u just incase.

the throttle isnt opening all the way, which u may already no, however, just from hearing previous engines at max rpm's, this sounds like its at max rpm, with throttle open about 1/4-3/4 of the way. so, would i get higher rpm's, or would it just be spread out over all throttle range?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon911
fyi, idk if u may already no this, but ima inform u just incase.

the throttle isnt opening all the way, which u may already no, however, just from hearing previous engines at max rpm's, this sounds like its at max rpm, with throttle open about 1/4-3/4 of the way. so, would i get higher rpm's, or would it just be spread out over all throttle range?
That sounds like you have the low needle set way too lean and it's at partial throttle already. I know this is the case because you mentioned you had to keep adjusting your idle down. I'd richen the low speed needle about 1 turn and then readjust from there.

Does this help?

edit: regarding the shift point, you may not necessarily "hear" it shift, but you can definately tell when it does. It may not be audible, but because of the way the car performs it's noticable. I mention this because when you retune you may have to adjust the shift point a little.