R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-10-2003, 10:20 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I will have a sts rs3 soon and will give my thoughts on it. The gun metal head one. I will put the colari aside to run this engine.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:01 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
That's what has me confused. The engine is still tight up top and upon disassembly/reassembly everything else is tight below like it should be. No leaks (except for the boot) and all of my other engines are known to be very fast. This is the first NR based engine that I've had apart (never had a reason before). The RB side exhaust that we have is very fast, much faster than this STS MT12 and you would think that they should be fairly equal in power. AND since I'm the sole Nitro engine tuner of our 6 Nitro vehicles and they all run great except this one......Oh well.

Thanks again,
Is it just slow or unstable? If unstable, I would check the carb needles to see if they are clean and no dirts (I will also check if the bearing have wobble) Try to reach STS Dino at www.teamcrc.com, he is knowledgeable about their product and willing to help.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:32 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Default slow or unstable?

Wolf;

The engine is actually very Stable. I sealed it when I reassembled it this time, but there was really no signs of leaks (except the boot).
I've been RACING Nitro for almost 4 years now and my tuning skills are good. We race 3-4 times a month, 12 months a year.

This engine is almost new, I bought it used (1 race) from a good Friend, who took it out of his car because he said it didn't have enough power. I thought being an MTR12 copy, it would be fine for my 8 yr old Son's Reflex NT (his 2nd Nitro car), but even my Son complained about it not being fast enough.
It's not too much of a biggie (nothing to get bent over), it runs better with the Compression increase, but I just thought that I would bring it up on the Forum and see if anyone else had experienced this kind of problem before.

The ONLY other engine that I had trouble with, was an Ofna .12 Red Head engine and for $59 NEW, I didn't expect it to be a rocket. I did expect more than 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon life out of it though and I've seen many others who have had short life out of these cheap (Ofna ) engines.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:59 AM   #34
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

Wow, 1/2 or 3/4 gallon is too short a life for a engine. Even the stock engine come with the old Kyosho Spider have a much longer life.

For the STS, to raise the compression a step further may give better power, but need to watch very closely for detonation. How about a hotter plug? Since you have a solid 4 years experience with nitro engine, I don't have any more suggestion to offer. This engine should run quite fast, as my RS5 run pretty close to a Nova 5 ports.

Last edited by Wolf; 03-11-2003 at 09:03 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Unhappy sts mt12 engine

Wolf;

I already using the smallest shim availible now, at 20% Nitro I think I'll be OK and no signs of Detonation durning teardown.

Using MC59's in all of my engines with great results.

Thanks, for the comments.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-11-2003 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:15 AM   #36
Nitro Tech

Smile Re: sts mt12 engine

Quote:
Wolf;

I already the smallest shim availible in now, at 20% Nitro I think I'll be OK and no signs of Detonation durning teardown.

Using MC59's in all of my engines with great results.

Thanks, for the comments.
Hi Pop,

Would you please tell me the average temperature when you run your STS motor.Also,How is the outside temperature there now.
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:36 PM   #37
Tech Elite

dino.tw;

The last week has been warm, probably in the mid to high 80's, but it is forcasted to cool down to the low 70's high 60's later in the week, still warm for this time of year. Please note that 90+% of my racing is on small to medium parking lot tracks. For Large tracks and Higher Nitro, I might go to a colder plug, depending on conditions.

I generally shoot for 240-260_F on all of my engines, Depends on what Car/Truck they are in and how much power I feel I need to be competitive. My Nova based engines seem to make decent power above 220_F, but My Picco engines run better closer to 260_F.

One exception is the new Fantom .15 that I just bought. I'm having a hard time getting this engine to warm up above 220_F even when leaning it out too much. This engine also makes fantastic power at these temps. (checked with an Exergen 501)
Old 03-11-2003, 07:04 PM   #38
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Pops, I'd say send it back to Frank (Collandra) at CRC, he's a good guy, and I'm sure that if its something wrong, he will replace it.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:10 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: sts mt12 engine

Quote:
[B]racerchan;

If you looked past the nose on your Face and could read at a level above second grade, you might have paid more attention to what I was saying in the first place. MY engine is NOT the Grey Head RS3, it is the plain Blue head MT12 engine.

This Engine is SLOW. Before I raised the compression ratio, it was even slower. Too slow even for my 8yr old son's car.
I think you should recify the problem of the leakage first and seal everything properly before making the comment of it being very slow and even slow for your small kid.
You made the comment that it was very slow and then said engine was leaking etc . . how do you compare ? a handicap man vs a healthy one ? that was my impression and that I couldn't agree on.

I agree that the MT STS is a crap engine. I have never used one by for heaven's sake. . see all the good and reasonable comments by others. You seem to be the only one complaining.

I have the best, cheap and reliable RS3 and now the RS5 and they are fast troubleshoot-free engines.

be fair in what you say.

ed
racerchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Default Re: sts mt12 engine

Quote:
Originally posted by racerchan

be fair in what you say. ed
I think you need to follow your own advise before you start making personal attacks on someone without even knowing them.

Guess I should have put more detail in my post so that (you) anyone wouldn't be confused about what I was saying. To add, the swollen carb boot was NOT a problem until this weekend. I noticed the excess oil after my Son had finished running the Main. Before that, there were no signs of any leakage. I mistakenly thought it might be the Front Bearing, as I have read this to be a problem with these engines sometimes, thus the reason for mentioning this in a previous post. However AFTER removing the engine for an internal inspection, I found the Car slide boot to be swollen and loose. (this was corrected with a new boot)

Lastly, the engine is much better since I've raised the compression ratio. The chamfering of the Boost ports will undoubtedly help some too. I just expected a little better performance out of in it's original form. And to be fair, the performance of the Fantom engine was a pleasant surprise.

Racerchan;

I hope in the Future, when YOU need some help, someone like yourself will respond to your Post(s) in the same manor as you've answered mine.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-11-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Default STS: MT12 engine

Guys;

For all of you that posted constructive comments, I thank you.

I went back through the entire thread and I forgot to mention that my STS, MT12 came with a Turbo Head button and I changed it to a Standard button. If anyone would like it (The Turbo Button), all I want is a Pre-paid mailer to send it back to you in.

Thanks again,

Edited for clairity, sorry.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-12-2003 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:56 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: sts mt12 engine

Quote:
[i]
Racerchan;

I hope in the Future, when YOU need some help, someone like yourself will answer your question(s) in the same manor as you've answered mine. [/B]
if you really did go back . . again . . to your postings note that you DIDN'T need help, you were complaining (confirming) that the engine sucked as though it's very slow right out from the box.

for those who thinks I am creating problem. go read the whold thread yourself.

ed
racerchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:16 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Default sts mt12 engine

Quote:
if you really did go back . . again . . to your postings note that you DIDN'T need help, you were complaining (confirming) that the engine sucked as though it's very slow right out from the box. it did

for those who thinks I am creating problem. go read the whold thread yourself. They already have

ed
racerchan;

If you took offence from something I said about MY STS engine, I am NOT sorry one bit. YOU made this personal with YOUR snide little comments and I defended.

END of STORY
Old 03-11-2003, 09:26 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Dino!!!
Drop me an E-mail...
[email protected]
Still thinking of making a .21?
After running my STS mod .12, I can only think of the power of one of your engines .21!
Just from my PERSONAL time with an STS, once I figured out MY problem, I was very impressed with these engines. Dino was very fast to point out my troubles, top notch customer service in my eyes!
Smitty
smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:38 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: sts mt12 engine

Quote:

<SNIP>
I agree that the MT STS is a crap engine. I have never used one by for heaven's sake. . see all the good and reasonable comments by others. You seem to be the only one complaining.
<SNIP>

be fair in what you say.

ed
racerchan,

First you say it's a crap engine.
Then you say you've never used one.
Then you say Pop's should be fair.

Doesn't this strike you as rather hypocritical?

Pop's is just trying to get to the bottom of his problem. I've read lots of his posts (he is rather prolific ) and he always comes across as fair.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote