R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-08-2003, 11:27 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: STS-MT12

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
Anyways I have ordered my RS3 but will be replacing the button to make it non turbo (gots ta be ROAR legal ya know). Although I am still gonna try to make a run at it with my sirio. Finally got some good head temps on this thing. Man does it wake up. Anyways if you ever want to more for your kid, or yourself for those parking lot races, give the sirio a try!
RS3 comes ONLY in standard button version and it's black heat sink marked RS3 on it. Well at very least hat's what I have been told.
All (2) of my RS3 are normal button. That's what all the hype is about since it's modded RACE LEGAL engine. :-)

ed
racerchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:45 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: STS-MT12

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

This engine is the MT12 (non-Turbo) version with the light Blue Head. Raising the compression helped quite a bit, but it's still not as fast as my Picco or Fantom. That's OK now as it has enough power for the Kid after the compression increase. Only thing now is, I see what people are talking about the Front bearing leaking.

I did get alot of comments about how fast the Fantom was.
It's good that you are comparing the cheapest STS with the Fantom. Try using the Ofna force 12 size engines and you'd vommit blood !! :-)

The RS series is just so "mod" novarossi grade .. .

In fact I have seen in Taiwan that during alot of A-mains these guys run either JP or STS RS3/5 only. having mine for quite a while now (and comparing to my previous RB C12 and X12-5 port engines), these RS models are really stable little powerhouses.

ed
Old 03-09-2003, 05:22 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: STS-MT12

i purchased one just to be different and see what the quality was like.

great port work, and REALLY good low end better than my s3 but top end was lacking.

i fooled with the mid point and achieved awsome top end but lost my low end.

i will give it another chance next race meet. the s3 is back in the mugen though!

don't compare these engines to novas cuz that would be unfair. they are great for the money, excellent design and worth purchasing. but if you are the type of driver that wants to enter major state/national events and needs every 0.001 of a sec well then stick to the novas.

great carbs on the sts engines. i'm considering using it on my mr12 if i can't get the speed i want out of the sts this weekend.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:04 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Default sts mt12 engine

Guys;

Well I gotta say is, that for $80, I couldn't pass this engine up. It is definitely better with the compression increase, so all I need to do is work on the bearing leakage.

racerchan;

I had one of those Ofna .12's (Red Head). I got less than a gallon through it before it wouldn't run anymore. Tore it apart and it looked BRAND NEW inside. Replaced the Front Bearing, re-sealed the engine, STILL wouldn't keep running. The Piston and Sleeve looked PERFECT with no noticeable wear but the fit was nonexistent.
Gave it to a Friend to use for parts.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:58 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: STS-MT12

Quote:
Originally posted by racerchan
RS3 comes ONLY in standard button version and it's black heat sink marked RS3 on it. Well at very least hat's what I have been told.
All (2) of my RS3 are normal button. That's what all the hype is about since it's modded RACE LEGAL engine. :-)

ed
I realize that the RS3 is supposed to come with a standard button, but I have heard from a couple of fellow racers that they sometimes mistakenly ship the motor with the turbo button. I am sure it a mistake, I am just preparing myself.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:50 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: STS-MT12

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
I realize that the RS3 is supposed to come with a standard button, but I have heard from a couple of fellow racers that they sometimes mistakenly ship the motor with the turbo button. I am sure it a mistake, I am just preparing myself.
As I understand it, the new IFMAR rules (November 2002) now permit turbo glow plugs along with a number of other minor changes - larger cooling holes, revised body heights etc.
Presumably ROAR and other local governing bodies will fall into line behind these changes, so you might need to check the current state of play.
Have I got this wrong?
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:27 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Default sts mt12 engine

Guys;

I disassembled the STS last night and found the leaking problem. I wasn't the front bearing. The Boot on the carb slide had pulled away from the body slightly at the bottom and was leaking there. The boot looks all swollen and fits very loose so I'm going to replace it with a Black Rubber Boot from a RB carb.

I noticed that inside of the Crankcase in the cutouts for the transfer passages. There are support risers (for the sleeve) that look like they would disrupt fuel flow. Can I take these out with a Dremel or will the sleeve warp without them. None of my other brand engines have these.

Thanks,
Old 03-10-2003, 01:48 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Default Re: sts mt12 engine

Quote:
I noticed that inside of the Crankcase in the cutouts for the transfer passages. There are support risers (for the sleeve) that look like they would disrupt fuel flow. Can I take these out with a Dremel or will the sleeve warp without them. None of my other brand engines have these.
Try to post a pic to see where and how big are.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:53 PM   #24
Tech Adept

NO!! Those are airfoils that boost the velocity of the air/fuel mix into the chamber. Just look at a RB or Novamega and you will see that they have them also, just not in the main transfer port like the STS ( the one above the rear bearing).
ronin8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:40 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: sts mt12 engine

Quote:
Guys;

I disassembled the STS last night and found the leaking problem. I wasn't the front bearing. The Boot on the carb slide had pulled away from the body slightly at the bottom and was leaking there. The boot looks all swollen and fits very loose so I'm going to replace it with a Black Rubber Boot from a RB carb.

Thanks,
I don't think it's anything to do with changing the rubber boot or something . . . it's to do with good maintenance with ANY engine.
so next time before you go on and comment on this (or that) engine is not performing go look at in the mirror first to find the reason why it's underperforming. Your posts and this recent one tell us what kind of a racer you are already.

ed
Old 03-10-2003, 06:22 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: sts mt12 engine

Quote:
Originally posted by an Idiot
Your posts and this recent one tell us what kind of a racer you are already.
racerchan;

If you looked past the nose on your Face and could read at a level above second grade, you might have paid more attention to what I was saying in the first place. MY engine is NOT the Grey Head RS3, it is the plain Blue head MT12 engine.

This Engine is SLOW. Before I raised the compression ratio, it was even slower. Too slow even for my 8yr old son's car.

Guys;

I disassembled it to look for any manufacturing defects that might effect power output (and found none).
There WAS a considerable amount of oil on the chassis around the Front of the engine after this weekends race, so I suspected the Front bearing, as I have read other's complaints of this problem. The leaking turned out to be a swollen rubber boot on the carb slide and was easily fixed. This is NOT going to have a major effect on Power output. I was also thinking that the person I bought it from had gone in with a dremel and gone overboard with the crank timing. This was not the case thankfully.

The only thing that I ended up doing was to chamfer the leading edge of the Boost ports to improve fuel flow a little. For now it will have to do, but I'm disappointed in this engine. As an MT12 Copy, I expected it to run a little better (faster). Please note that this WAS the reason my friend sold it, because he felt it wasn't fast enough, but I thought it would be OK for my 8 yr old son in his Reflex NT.

Thanks,

Last edited by popsracer; 03-10-2003 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:54 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

What I would say about these engine is that their quality fluctuate. Sometimes you get a really good performing engine. Sometimes you get a lemon. For example, my RS5 is among 20 pcs hand pick samples when their manager travel to HK. It's got little glitch, but still perform pretty good. (I think it is the first batch, the packing is awful) Price paid at that time is about 100USD, not bad. (this is special discount, make friend price) As reference, Nova S5 is about 150USD

Bet on your luck! If they are willing to replace all their lemon, it would be nice.

Last edited by Wolf; 03-10-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:06 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Default Sometimes you get a lemon

Wolf;

This is the first time I've had this kind of problem with an engine of this caliber. I disassembled it to see if there was a big chunk of casting flash in the crankcase blocking one of the ports, but everything looks fine. I'll see in 2 weeks if the chamfering on the Boost ports helped any, it should a little bit. I didn't touch the Crank as the factory machining was nice and smooth already. The airfoils in the crankcase looked smooth enough so I left them alone too..

Guys;

Thanks for all of the positive comments and feedback.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-10-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

Wish you good luck Pop.

I think it's due to the fact that these little engine require very tight tolarance. If it's a little bit off, the end result is a lemon. (remember that it's a direct copy of the Nova, even a base line Nova perform really well) It's all about manufacturing tolerance.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:36 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf

I think it's due to the fact that these little engine require very tight tolarance. If it's a little bit off, the end result is a lemon. (remember that it's a direct copy of the Nova, even a base line Nova perform really well) It's all about manufacturing tolerance.
That's what has me confused. The engine is still tight up top and upon disassembly/reassembly everything else is tight below like it should be. No leaks (except for the boot) and all of my other engines are known to be very fast. This is the first NR based engine that I've had apart (never had a reason before). The RB side exhaust that we have is very fast, much faster than this STS MT12 and you would think that they should be fairly equal in power. AND since I'm the sole Nitro engine tuner of our 6 Nitro vehicles and they all run great except this one......Oh well.

Thanks again,

Last edited by popsracer; 03-10-2003 at 09:44 PM.