R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default O'Donnell vs Byron vs Werks

O'Donnell vs Byron vs werks,

I am in the process of switching fuel becasue the place I get fuel from don't carry OD any more and I have to drive out of my way to get OD. I like to get some opinion from you guys. Engine longevity is also important to me, I like my $700 engine to last. Thanks.

OD
+responsive,
+Engine life is good
+run time is good, almost 6 min on 21 and 12
+exhaust smells ok
-hard to get

Byron
+haven't tried it but its exhaust smells ok
+same as mugen fuel

Werks
-havent tried it but its exhaust smell is choking (to me at least)

Last edited by straightaway; 01-13-2007 at 02:09 AM.
straightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

byron and mugen are the same stuff.i highley recomend it,i used to use od,byron is better,more power,lower temps,very good life,average life is 6-7 gallons at race tune,on a 12 motor
Team Trinity
[url]www.teamtrinity.com[/url]
Gary Figueroa
GFIGUEROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up Byron

I used to run OD and thought it was OK, until I tried Byron.

My main compaint is OD's lack of consistency from gallon to gallon. Nearly every gallon I bought, there was a noticable difference in how the engine ran. I just assumed this was par for the course.

Switched to Byrons and found this is NOT par for the course. Burns clean, makes great power and they offer many different 'flavors'. Consistent from one to the next to the next.

Two thumbs up for Byrons!
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Default Byron it is.

Thanks guys. Good to hear from ex-OD users. I am going to get some Byron 30%. Plus the slight coloring will help my pitman to see where the gas are in the tank.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #5

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

od uses cheap oil. Thats why it stinks and burns like hell on the eyes. As well turns motor parts dark and sticky.

byrons has a bottle thats supposed to protect it from absorbing moisture as fast. Supposedly itll never get any inside the bottle. It has high quality oils and it burns clean.

Sportswerks never tried.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Ever try Sidewinder? I have had zero porblems with it.
HobbyWing
Hyperion
SUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNA
Ever try Sidewinder? I have had zero porblems with it.
My 3 top fav fuels. In no specific order.

1. Byrons , which makes fuel for mugen (need i say more)
2. Wildcat (makes all fuel for trinity and hpi)
3. Sidewinder (morgan fuels)

Reason why I like these 3. They have the best oils and nitro in the industry. There are some other well liked fuels but I havent come across them.

Cheaper oils have unwanted chemicals which normally makes for a stinky burn. Which leaves deposits and gunk in your motor and causes the motor to run hotter.

If any group of friends were smart they would buy as many different fuels as they can and try them all in the same motor (a motor they dont mind much about and have a VERY good handle on tuning). I did this personally and the results were pretty obvious to me and I believe have pushed me in the right direction and a good fuel can make a good difference for many things in respect to tuning and ease.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I'm partial to OD. I just love the horsepower OD gives me. I use to run Byrons but that was when I was running a RTR. And I switched to a higher oil content. I believe Byrons was 12% at the time. So I moved to OD with 14%. Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with Byrons. I just needed the added security of more oil content( poor engine tuning skills). I will have to try a bottle of Byrons one day just for old time sake. But I believe If your happy with your current fuel there is no need to change. But in your case I highly recommend Byrons fuel. I also love the oil package in OD
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump
I'm partial to OD. I just love the horsepower OD gives me. I use to run Byrons but that was when I was running a RTR. And I switched to a higher oil content. I believe Byrons was 12% at the time. So I moved to OD with 14%. Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with Byrons. I just needed the added security of more oil content( poor engine tuning skills). I will have to try a bottle of Byrons one day just for old time sake. But I believe If your happy with your current fuel there is no need to change. But in your case I highly recommend Byrons fuel. I also love the oil package in OD
For anyone who knows me. I call odonnel , crapdonnels. Its what I deem "the worst most popular racer fuel ever" I think it only continues to be reccomended through lack of testing and blind bandwagon support.

It turns everything on your car yellow , bodies , wheels , fuel line and cf upper decks. I hate the stuff and never had more flame outs and problems than with this fuel. Yet youll still see guys gripping the stuff and smiling on podiums....ignorance is bliss

Try as many fuels as you can get ahold of in your local area...and draw your own conclusions. Its by far the best method. Just use it on a motor that you dont mind....well making it a guinea pig. Otherwise , if its not broke dont fix it. If you place #1 all the time , dont worry about it. If you find tuning or power issues...then its time to look around and see whats the deal.

Also to remember all engines are created different , some motors or manufacturers like different oils. So sometimes a quick swap up of fuels or glow plugs sometimes cures hard tuning issues and vice a versa.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 01-12-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
Tech Elite

You are right artificial I(If it ain't broke then don't fix it). I've just had great success with OD. No flame-out, great thottle response from midrange to Full throttle. Idles beautifully. The only other fuel I've tried is maxy 30% But I did not see enough improvement from the OD 30% so I switched back. I've always been a Bryons fan ever since I ran my cox engines. I.m not the type that jumps from one thing to another in search of that magic fix I just stick With what I feel comfortable with and concentrate on the things that I can control such as hitting all my spots on the track and being smooth and consistant.
I also like the smell of byrons fuel better than OD: but I believe fuel is not meant to be smelled. I could care less how it smells

Last edited by lil-bump; 01-11-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I have had zero issues with O'Donnell. I have had great success with OD fuel. Steve O' is a friend of mine and always made sure I had fuel wherever I went and I never had an issue with it. I never even tried anything else. When he sold the fuel company it got much more difficult for me to obtain so I tried what was easily available to me. I bought Byrons. My engines ran 35 degrees hotter and didn't go any faster. I also tried the Mugen badged Byrons. Same result. I tried other stuff. I have used Redline, and Rocket Science. I went and purchased O'Donnell as well. No problems with those fuels. I have seen others have great success with Byrons including two of my best RC friends as well as several of my former teammates. I have had nothing but problems with Byrons. I have bought a number of bottles of it over the course of a year. Don't tell me it was a bad bottle. Whichever guy said try them for yourself was giving you the best advice. Do your own testing and form your own opinion. Then and only then you will know.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Thanks for the honest opinon Scott. I'm sticking with OD. At this time I have no reason to change. RC racing has enough unknowns I don't need any more.
But If my LHS stop carrying OD will surely go with Byrons. I also like that the Byrons comes in the 1/2 gallon jug
Old 01-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Since we are standing outside of the vehicle instead of sitting inside like a real car, the way exhaust smells does matter to me. If it makes me sick or chokes me, then no matter how good it is, it is not for me.

The exhaust from Sportswerks smells pretty bad and gives me a headcahe even though everyone tells me it is the shxt. I was turnmarshalling this weekend for 1/8 for 30 mins. Everytime a car running sportswerks came by, I feel like throwing up. It used to be there were only two major fuel, OD and byron and I have no issue with their exhuast smell. But now we got so many brands that turn marshalling is becoming a chore becasue it is difficult to breathe from burining of diff additives.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #14

Switching from fuel to fuel you will need to change the needle settings for a true comparison. Sometimes noting the temperature change only isnt a good way to compare fuels either. Allthough im sure you did change the needle settings. Otherwise a motor that runs hotter on a new fuel it might because its getting a more powerful and complete burn as well it might be just fine to run it 30 degrees hotter. I used to have this other fuel I used which had always consistent and lower temps , but another fuel made it about 15 degrees hotter. But the motor ran much freeier and had more power overall. Like it was set free. It was slightly harder to tune...but all in all started easier , ran better and got more power. Reason why at that time I changed fuels.

Richen it and youll probably see similiar results with more power. But like I said test if you want to see whats the best or if your placing #1 no problems. Its best to not change things up.

A big factor though is also getting fresh fuel and what motor its being run through.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 01-12-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

After the intial test, I did richen it about 3/4 turn. That fixed the overheat and eventual lean bog, but I couldn't get close to making runtime. I am not a proponent of that fuel. I tried it and can't make it work for me.