R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-18-2003, 11:55 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho
..............................If I were going out to buy a Superten car today, I would buy the HPI................
Wanna buy mine?
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:44 PM   #107
Tech Master

Sydewynder

I'll trade you for my FW04. I have a lifetime supply of rims and tires for it.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #108
Tech Apprentice

OK fellas, i tweaked my car some more using all the help here and took off to the local bash/race spot today. One major change i did to the car is install my ofna hyper in there (engine was a spare) using the wolf conversion. Tremendous power improvment as expected. i keep the engine pretty rich though just because the power is almost too much. i stuck a 15 tooth bell in there to soften the low end a bit and even after a few laps the engine is sitting at 170-180, pretty rich, but its on the edge as it is. ill go a bit leaner when i change the crappy tires but then im worried about snapping belts. i am not even considering a 2 speed at this point. one thing i dont like about the wolf conversion is the included "lighened" flywheel. while its nice eye candy, its a little too light for my taste. i had trouble getting the engine to idle properly, clearly the flywheel isnt providing enough rotational inertia. so my idle is set slightly high for now till i get around changing it. i was keeping up pretty well with the touring guys but my weekness is still the corners, too much understeering. i will tweak in more steering once i slap some foams on there. any more now and itll spin out. so keepin it slow in the turns till the foams get here. I definately believe that the SN is one of HPI better cars if not the best. The car definetly has potential, plus its unique i will try to post some pictures.
compuatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:22 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho
Sydewynder

I'll trade you for my FW04. I have a lifetime supply of rims and tires for it.

Sorry DT I have an FW04 also.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:51 AM   #110
Tech Master

compuatic

I wouldn't worry about snapping belts. Based on what I've seen on the track, I'm sure you could shoehorn a .21 in there and the belts would be fine. You should consider getting either an adjustable clutch or lightening the clutch shoes on your existing clutch. This way the clutch can engage later. That will do a couple things for you. First, you can increase the idle for your lightweight flywheel. Second, the engine will be further into it's powerband before the clutch engages. You'll have a lot more squirt when you start the race and when you get on the power out of the turns. HPI makes a "Racing clutch" shoe/spring set that is adjustable. It has 3 holes that you use to adjust the engage rpm. I think it should resist burning up as well. You can also just trim off some of your existing shoes, but it's hard to get that precise and make both shoes exactly the same weight. The HPI racing clutch shoe set should only be around $15, so it's a pretty good hop up option if you plan to use HPI's clutch bells.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:50 AM   #111
Tech Initiate

At 170-180 your motor must be close to four-cycling still, if you get to motor up to temp, 210-220 (I can't be sure, but my LHS guy told me that the Hyper 8 should run at around 235) I'm sure your get a better idle. If you run it at temp, then your going to have to worry about the rear pulley and the rear belt. You won't snap the belt, but you'll stretch it out and strip it flat. I went to the HPI steel pulley because I kept going through belts and pulleys, this way I only go through belts. I've found that the urethane backed belts last longer, less stretch. Varying on how you drive, you will go through HPI tires in no time flat, I'm not sure what kind of foam tires you're getting but stay away from the Cross foam tires, I went through 2 sets of these tires in two days, just too soft.
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:54 AM   #112
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Randy, you must be roasting those tires.... My Hpi 33r's last forever.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #113
Tech Initiate

With a .21 in my Super, and not even a strong one (Novarossi PT21 SP-1), the only tires that last any time at all have been 1/8 scale Serpent tires
Old 04-22-2003, 12:46 PM   #114
Tech Apprentice

Randy, how did you fit the sperpent foams on your super ?
Old 04-22-2003, 01:14 PM   #115
Tech Initiate

There are two different adapters for this. One is made by RCRage, and the other is made by Wolfpack Radicals. I have both, and think that Wolfpack Radicals is a better design. Now the problem is that with the tire size difference the front and rear gear ratios are off, so the car pushes in turns. I've asked Wolfgang to see if he can make adapters to fit Serpent 835 rear tires on the Super. The 835 rear tires and the Vector front tires are almost the same size, 2 or 3mm's different, so if you true the rear down, you'll still have more rear tire on the ground and no more problems with pushing. Hopefully~!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snrs42.jpg (41.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-22-2003, 03:21 PM   #116
Tech Apprentice

interesting, how does your setup handle like this ?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #117
Tech Initiate

The way the car is set up now...it's really only good for drag racing. The car will do 80mph+. Like I was saying..when you go into turns at the end of a long run, and the engine is cleaned out..the car pushes really badly..so as for track racing...I'd say..pretty much useless..I'm hoping that Wolfgang comes up with the adapters for the 835 tires.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #118
Tech Apprentice

i am planning to try out the powerline foams for the super, any thoughts? i expect them to work much better than tires...
Old 04-22-2003, 04:21 PM   #119
Tech Initiate

I was told by a LHS guy who did the .21 conversion in a Super before me, not to buy the Powerline Foams, he said they only lasted him one run. Now, that's what he said, I don't have first hand knowledge. RC4Less.com has foams tires that I believe he makes on HPI rims. If you order from him, you have to make sure he has them in stock, or he might send you the Cross Foam Tires. The Cross tires are really soft, and they didn't last a day of parking lot bashing, and the rims on the Cross are really brittle. Some people use the RJ Ride tires, and say they hold up better then the HPI Super Tires, but then again..I haven't tried them. Lack of tire choice seems to plague everyone that runs a .21 conversion.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:46 PM   #120
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

ttt
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote