Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Super Size discussion >

Super Size discussion

Super Size discussion

Old 03-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

What are your opions on the 35R tires? The way the track tire chart looks, I will want to use these for the hot California weather. How are these tires compared to the RJ Ride tires?

Also, want is a good insert combo for these tires? The track is paved not sealed and the surface is pretty smooth. Lots of people are able to run foams on their 10th scale tours with no problem with the foam prematurely wearing out.

And back to the insert question, how are the pro foam strips compared to the low bounce inner foam and the standard inner foam?
Old 03-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default Super size Tires

rc_king1;

If the 1/10th scale Guys are using Foams, then the traction must be great.
The only difference with inserts that I noticed in high traction conditions was, the Firm inserts make the car more responsive when changing direction. In low to Medium traction, I always use the Standard inserts that come with the Tires.

33R's work best when the track temperature (not Air) is ABOVE 80-85_F. I know that they DO NOT like a shady track surface.
35R's probably closer to 100_F.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Super size Tires

spooky,

That's great to hear that you guys have a strong racing program going. Things got shook up pretty well around hear in the last year. We went from having 2 places to race (neither permanent) to having 1. Then, suddenly we went to 4 with one permanent gas 1/8 scale track! We only have a carpet track in the winter and it's an hour an a half drive each way for me to get there.

As far as tires go, everyone runs HPI C10/30's here with the inserts that come in the tire. My FW04 pushes like a dumptruck, so I run 23's up front if I need more steering. Our track temps range from mid 70's to 140+ in the summer, and everyone runs C10/30's. I doubt you'll have much luck finding these any more, but the Cross Agress tires work really well when the track temps get hot. Unfortunately the Cross factory burned last year, so you can't get those tires any more. I ordered CRC
( www.teamcrc.com )donuts for an enduro race that we ran last year, but any 1/10 scale donuts should work fine. These are the ones for Serpent Impact, Mugen Avance, etc. BTW, my advice is put some kind of motor limit on the class. We had guys running .21's in their cars and the class was just nuts! It ends up just being a horsepower war and who has the deepest pockets. I race my car with a Collari 7 port turbo .12 and it's ridiculously fast, so I can only imagine what a .21 is like!

As far as inserts go, I played around with them a bit and didn't really notice much of a difference, to tell you the truth. I would suggest running the firm inserts if you use the C23 tires or you'll only get one heat out of the tires. It's some major coin for a day of racing if you're stuck running 23's. Everyone I know in the Bay Area that races superten (the past couple years, we regularly had a d-main in the class) runs HPI C10/30's with the foam inserts that come with the tires and they work very well. Another thing to consider with the class is to make the heats 10 minutes with a longer main. If you run a 4 stroke engine, like some of the FW04 kits come with, the car is slower on the straight than a 2 stroke, but you can make time in a 10 minute heat where a 2 stroke must pit for fuel. It makes for some interesting racing with real pit strategy.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dave.... We are limiting the motor. Any smallblock. What we have been thinking about... is taking the two speed out of the picture too. I have .12 cvr in the car now, but a couple guys are running the 15 FE with a 2 needle carb and they hang. Another guy has an MT12 in his...

My setup is a little on the stiff side, and the car hops a little in the ass when it gets bumpy. I was looking at the HPI setup and it is pretty soft. What are your guys thoughts on traction rolling with that soft setup ?
Old 03-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

The FW04 definitely likes to be run soft. I think the HPI car does too. You have more steering with the HPI, but I don't think you need to worry too much about traction rolling. Does the Supernitro have droop screws? You can reduce the amount of droop and it should help with the traction rolling if you have that problem. If the backend is hopping around, it sounds like you need to use heavier shock oil.

If you're trying to limit the class that much, why not just require the use of the kit engine and carb? Those engines aren't that bad as long as you make sure the sleeve is lined up correctly. I bet that would be a fun class and I think the Kyosho car with the GS15 engine would be pretty competitive with the HPI with the 15FE.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Super Size discussion

Originally posted by popsracer
Spooky;

I wish we still had a parking lot track where the traction was good enough to use my tires with the firm inserts. Everything we race on now is resealed asphalt and the current Super size tires just do not work good on that surface. I even tried adding more rear toe-in, but the improvement was minimal.

Sydewynder;

Thanks, I tried ordering some Motor Brushes form them the other day and the links were all broken. Seems like the Tire links are working ok though. I'm going to look around some more as I don't like working with Foams labeled with the colors. I much prefer to use tires with Shore numbers for the compound. Just my preference.

Pops

The shore ratings are listed next to the colors. Click on the pull down list on the complete wheel set above the donuts only section. They don't have red (55) though in donuts only.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Default Super is Hopping Mad

Spooky;

On the HPI Nitro's there are usually 2 reasons for the Hopping.

1) Alot of Traction, with too soft of Tire/insert and or Shock oil.
and,
2) (Most common) The Outdrives/Axles have grooves worn in them from the Dogbones. This will cause the Hopping (seen it MANY times)

Put a Good Carb (I like Traxxas 6mm) a pipe and Header, and the 15FE is a Decent Motor. Too bad HPI won't put the ABC piston and sleeve in as standard equipment.

Psycho;

Do you think the FW04 handles better than a Super Nitro and is the Rear Toe adjustable like a V1R?

Super Nitros come with the ability to use Droop screws. Rear Toe is fixed at 2 deg total MAX.

I prefer a .15 in my Super as the car is heavier than a 1/10th and can use the extra torque.

Later.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not psycho (hi DT ) but...

The Super have more steering than the FW-04. It is also quite a bit lighter so it transitions better IMO.

To answer your rear toe Q yes the FW-04 is pivot ball all around and the toe is fully adjustable.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by psycho
The FW04 definitely likes to be run soft. I think the HPI car does too. You have more steering with the HPI, but I don't think you need to worry too much about traction rolling. Does the Supernitro have droop screws? You can reduce the amount of droop and it should help with the traction rolling if you have that problem. If the backend is hopping around, it sounds like you need to use heavier shock oil.

If you're trying to limit the class that much, why not just require the use of the kit engine and carb? Those engines aren't that bad as long as you make sure the sleeve is lined up correctly. I bet that would be a fun class and I think the Kyosho car with the GS15 engine would be pretty competitive with the HPI with the 15FE.
DT

You missed RCCar last time. Should have seen Chris A's Super traction roll everywhere. Everyone was running really soft to get traction but Chris' Super was so soft it waddled like a duck....before it turned turtle
Old 03-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sydewynder;

I didn't see the Shore ratings up on the Premounts. I ordered a set of the Cross Premounts and 2 pairs of the Donuts. The Guys at our permanent track are really going to complain next time.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default Super Size discussion

Sydewynder;

Sounds like the kind of track I'd love to race on again, too much traction.
Thanks for the one up on the FW04.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Sydewynder;

I didn't see the Shore ratings up on the Premounts. I ordered a set of the Cross Premounts and 2 pairs of the Donuts. The Guys at our permanent track are really going to complain next time.

Thanks.
Look left of the Cross premounted ones to the premounts with black HPI wheels will get you the durometer rating in the pulldown list.

Click on the pic of the Cross ones you ordered and it shows the rating. Looks like 55 front and 45 rears. Hope that's what you want.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Super Size discussion

Sydewynder;

Sounds like the kind of track I'd love to race on again, too much traction.
Thanks for the one up on the FW04.
Anytime.

How's your haunted house?
Old 03-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Arrow Sydewynder

Originally posted by Sydewynder

How's your haunted house?
Still Haunted, BTW, sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Old 03-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,
Can you guys tell me what engines are you driving your SNs with? And if they are SG crank style how do you manage to line it up with the two speed? And to add to the shore question what foams do i need to use on a low traction track?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.