R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to integra evan Send a message via MSN to integra evan
Default Nitro RC cars and a Canon Rebel camera...

My friend and I took out our nitro RC cars yesterday and I brought the camera along. Let me start off by saying these fast little suckers are hard to take shots of! I think I did a pretty good job at my first time panning these. I had my friend drive my little white teg (the RC one) so I could get shots of it. Then I took pictures of my friends nitro stadium truck. Enjoy!

My white teggy:

My friend's stadium truck:

And he was doing a burnout in this one: (should have used a slower shutter speed)

We had just put bigger tires on his truck and raised the suspension at least an inch and a half...the thing just floats across the dirt and sand now, and is able to do some pretty nice wheelies and jumps.
My tuned pipe kept falling off, making me run open exhaust port. WOW was that loud! Unfortunately that messed up the tuning of the engine and would shut off if I didn't have the carb open far enough, lol. I'll have to get new screws for the pipe.
integra evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Tech Master

Nice pics. I would cut air holes in your body if you want your engine to live.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks. You know I've been meaning to do that since I got the body last January but never did it.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nice pitures you got there these shots you made are difficult to do. even my friend is still experimenting on this kind of shots any tips?
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Thanks! As for tips, you just need to practice at it...you have to move the camera (follow the subject) while you press the shutter button with a shutter speed at least as slow as 1/90 of a second....I used 1/60 and 1/45 in these shots. You want to match the movement of the camera/lens with the speed of the subject, with autofocus engaged (if the camera has it, use AI Servo autofocus). Just keep practicing at it.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

These shots are very soft due to motion blur and you went overboard with the Post Processing. The color and contrast looks off and a few of these shots are showing a lot of noise. You need to shoot with a much faster shutter and a wider lens opening. You may need to boost the ISO setting to get a faster shutter.

I apologize if I sound harsh.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Actually, the only post processing I did was minor cropping and adding the border. The color and contrast are 100% actual (that red body is really that red). If I used a faster shutter speed, I would not capture a sense of motion, and since I was doing panning shots, I wanted the background motion blur for the sense of motion. That 'noise' is actually film grain...not digital noise. However the fourth image was owned with JPEG artifact when it went through the negative scanner. I would try noise reduction with that picture, however it would take away too many details and leave the picture with a soft focus/glow effect.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
Tech Regular

You want a sense of motion in the background with a sharp subject. I thought these were D-SLR pics, the fact that these are negative scans explains the noise and the inaccurate color/contrast.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra evan
My friend and I took out our nitro RC cars yesterday and I brought the camera along. Let me start off by saying these fast little suckers are hard to take shots of! I think I did a pretty good job at my first time panning these. I had my friend drive my little white teg (the RC one) so I could get shots of it. Then I took pictures of my friends nitro stadium truck. Enjoy!

My white teggy:

My friend's stadium truck:

And he was doing a burnout in this one: (should have used a slower shutter speed)

We had just put bigger tires on his truck and raised the suspension at least an inch and a half...the thing just floats across the dirt and sand now, and is able to do some pretty nice wheelies and jumps.
My tuned pipe kept falling off, making me run open exhaust port. WOW was that loud! Unfortunately that messed up the tuning of the engine and would shut off if I didn't have the carb open far enough, lol. I'll have to get new screws for the pipe.
With this shot what lens did you use? is it the lens that came with the camera or an option lens.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I used the 28-90mm f/4-5.6 EF lens that came with the camera, using a 70-90mm focal length range to get the most compression/straightest shots I can.