R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358
A lot of people have heard this about Revelations "last race"
As Chris pointed out, this city is really making it difficult on Dana.
One of the problems also is loyalty of the drivers.
Every one complains about the track when it is bad, and hardly anyone wants to offer help. Dana tries to do it all himself, and and it can be overwhelming at times. When it comes time to pre-register for a big race like the Airtronics race just two weeks before the race, he had only SIX drivers pre registered! How can you plan a race with that kind of support. He has asked everyone at each of the big races to PLEASE sign up early so he knows how many t-shirts to order, and trophies. But still, hardly anyone will pre-register. The turn out for the weekends for practice and even some of the club races does not even come close to the turn out that the off-roaders come out for. But yet when people hear this may happen, everyone asks why.
The poor turn outs,the problems with the city, constant complaining about the track, would you blame him if it is true. I hate to even think about it, because it is a great track, Dana is very cool, plus I have so much money wrapped up in my equipment, I will lose my butt. I probably have over $18,000 wrapped up into on-road, and will most likely sell most of it off. I have no intentions of going to off-road. But if this does happen, I absolutley understand Danas position. No loyalty, poor turnouts, off roaders running 3 to 1 onroaders, problems with the city.
What would you do?

I heard that Dana is closing one of the tracks because of city ordinance and I guess if Dana has to choose he will go with the bigger turn out which happens to be offroad. I wouldn't question the onroader loyalty since I see a lot of locals there week after week spending there free time and hard earned money. The offroad turn out is more than onroad turn out since there are just more people with offroad cars period not because they are more dedicated to the track.

I do hope Dana finds a way to keep both tracks running.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #62
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Something else to keep in mind is that there is now a bigger offroad track around the corner that supports both 1/8 scale nitro racing and 1/10 scale electric. From casually reading, this track is also looking to compete with afternoon/late night offroad racing on Saturdays. This will defenitely affect offroad turnouts from now on.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Airtronics at Revelations

Dana himself is a hardcore on-roader.
If both tracks pulled in the same amount of money, I would have to bet that he would be keeping the on road track open. But this is just not the case.
The off road drivers out number the on road drivers easliy 3 to 1.
So as much as I hate to admit it, I think I would have to do the same thing myself.
City problems put aside, it is about what is more profitable,on-road, or off road.
No one wants to lose money every month just for the love of the hobby.
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #64
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanks596
Something else to keep in mind is that there is now a bigger offroad track around the corner that supports both 1/8 scale nitro racing and 1/10 scale electric. From casually reading, this track is also looking to compete with afternoon/late night offroad racing on Saturdays. This will defenitely affect offroad turnouts from now on.
As Max just mentioned RPS is opening and not too far from Rev. and it sure will affect the off-road turnout, so Dana needs to look at the big picture before he make the final decision.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Cool

Before everyone jump the gun we need to get the facts straight and maybe come up with a solution to help Dana if you really want support the on road track plus we need to hear what Dana has to say about this issue and maybe there is a light at end of the tunnel.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Airtronics at Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
Before everyone jump the gun we need to get the facts straight and maybe come up with a solution to help Dana if you really want support the on road track plus we need to hear what Dana has to say about this issue and maybe there is a light at end of the tunnel.
That is a very good point.
"Maybe" if he gets the full support of all of the on-road drivers, there might be a better resolution to this, rather than just closing the track down if that really is true
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Would like to know what the "city ordinance" actually is? How does this "ordinance" discriminate against onroad as opposed to offroad. Seems like a lot of details are being left out. I think it is sad to blame "lack of support" on a new "ordinance".

Does not make sense to me. I heard the ordinance had to do with the permanent E-Z ups ...............nothing to do with asphalt and dirt????
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dana has kept the on-road going for awhile now even with the turnouts small. The biggest problem Dana has is the CITY. The city is forcing Dana to make more parking space. If Revelations belonged to any of us and we had to make a choice, we would stick with the off-road because of it popularity. If you look at tuesday and thursday practice alone, he gets about 70 off-road compared 0 or 2 on-road guys.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #69
Tech Champion

Good point there Chris, but inorder to get on roaders to practice at night time, Dana have to put more lightning in the on-road track, the reason why there is no on-roaders practicing at night is on road cars are so fast you can't see it unless there is adequate lightning, if you compare it to the off-road track you can tell right away that the off-road track has way more light and it is so bright you can see a small screw that fell off you truggy from a distance
Old 03-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #70
Tech Rookie

Hey guys i think we need to relize that revalation raceway is a buisness and dana has a family to support so money will be the driving issue in his decision as well it should be.from what i understand the city of montclair took over the area where the track is and they have a few more rules than when the area was unincorporated so dana needs to comply. we all need to support dana in what ever he dose, at the end of the day he has bills just like the rest of us.for me i would like to say thank you to dana for all the years of supporting the on-road even as the turn out was declining as we all know dana is an on road guy from way back so you know this can't be easy for him. that track is his life.

pizon
john angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #71
Tech Rookie

Looking at the big picture and business aspect, these are things I would consider:
1. No guarantee on off-road because of the new track opening up
2. SoCal might be closing up. = more electric racers looking for a track.
3. Tamiya might be closing up. = even more racers
4. Crystal Park won't get any better (might even get worse with all the construction)

I would choose the on-road and do the following:
1. Turn the off-road into a parking lot for more spaces
2. Create a track that can be easily converted into a 1/8 scale, 1/10, 1/12 electric friendly layout. (Look at all the electric tracks and it's easy to understand the kind of track or layout and feel of the track they all want) The electric guys have given Rev a try a number of times, as they also want another place to race, but Rev is just too big, or the flow of the track is too slow for them. It's not just about cutting the straightaway shorter which is the only thing Dana has done to accomodate the electric guys.
3. If the track is changed to have the "parking lot track" feel, I'm sure he will attract the electric racers and parking lot racers (there are at least 100 of them who only do parking lot races, and don't go to Rev or CP because of the size and flow of the track).

Just my 2cents.
Toktok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toktok
Looking at the big picture and business aspect, these are things I would consider:
1. No guarantee on off-road because of the new track opening up
2. SoCal might be closing up. = more electric racers looking for a track.
3. Tamiya might be closing up. = even more racers
4. Crystal Park won't get any better (might even get worse with all the construction)

I would choose the on-road and do the following:
1. Turn the off-road into a parking lot for more spaces
2. Create a track that can be easily converted into a 1/8 scale, 1/10, 1/12 electric friendly layout. (Look at all the electric tracks and it's easy to understand the kind of track or layout and feel of the track they all want) The electric guys have given Rev a try a number of times, as they also want another place to race, but Rev is just too big, or the flow of the track is too slow for them. It's not just about cutting the straightaway shorter which is the only thing Dana has done to accomodate the electric guys.
3. If the track is changed to have the "parking lot track" feel, I'm sure he will attract the electric racers and parking lot racers (there are at least 100 of them who only do parking lot races, and don't go to Rev or CP because of the size and flow of the track).

Just my 2cents.
Good point there LEO.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #73
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Last edited by madjack; 03-21-2007 at 08:04 PM.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Last edited by madjack; 03-21-2007 at 08:04 PM.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #75
Tech Master

Good luck to you Dana! Thanks for all the time you spent putting on truely fun events. I wish we were closer and could have offered more support.

One more time:

Cheers Dana!
I wish you the best - again, thanks for the memories!
See you soon - you are, after all, a racer first.

Rich
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote