R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to ProE Send a message via Skype™ to ProE
Default Who's got a MTX-4 and G4S, and which one do you prefer?

Who's got a MTX-4 and G4S, and which one do you prefer?

I'm looking at buying one of these cars. I'm looking for feedback on these cars. But it has to be feedback from someone that actually owns both of these cars.

I'm not looking for feedback from someone that owns one of these and then tell me that it is the best car.

If you got both, tell me which one do you prefer and why. (good and bad). Local parts supply is the same for both cars.

Thanks.
ProE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I used to have both, I sold my G4S because of Trinity distribution, in fact it don't matter since Raceday will hae them for sure.

both cars perform really well out of the box.

for me who like to took car apart all the time, MTX-4 is easier on that, it use 2/3A battery (max at 1600mah) so it will have more run time percharge compare to 850mah stock and max 1000mah on G4S. the battery is easier to remove too which is a pain on G4S. MTX-4 has a bit more setting option to play with than G4S. the sway bar on MTX4 is much easier to adjust compare to G4S which also hard to remove the front sway bar to adjust droop. I also like hte ball link on MTX because it won't destroy itself if I took it out often . MTX has larger space for servo and wiring is A LOT easier. MTX-4 is pricy unless you get a deal or something but you will forget it soon enough

G4S is simply rock solid car that take abuse really well, also the weight distribution of G4S is almost perfact left to right, I really like UFO clutch of G4S, consistant and no slop at all which my MTX clutchbell is a little shaky. another thing I like G4S is that unlike MTX-4 the engine can easily take off without remove anything other parts. shock tower on G4S is already thicker and can take all the abuse which on MTX people recommand the option a lot. another thing good of G4S is it come with all he good stuff that are optional on MTX with even lower price.

this is my little thought of both car. hope it helps
flip a coin if you can't deside it yourself
Old 01-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

MTX-4 here

I would stay away from the G4S mainly due to Trinity. Otherwise, the G4S is deadly in capable hands. Just look at Brian Berry and Bobby Flack they ran the G4S in the Midwest Series this past year. It also took the Euro Champs.

I'll stick with my MTX-4. I owned a serpent with intent to race it but was offered a killer deal on a MTX-4 and ditched the serpent. To me, the quality and plastic used in Mugen parts is far superior to serpent. The MTX-4 won the Worlds on a pretty much stock car.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Car Breaker

Thanks for the response. That is the type of information I was looking for. I've seen alot of positive feedback from the G4S. Alot of people mention the clutch. It is also good to see some of negative info on the car. I would never thought the battery could be an issue. It seems that the G4S has alot of optional parts already fitted. I've seen the MTX-4 in action at our club and I know what the capabilities are of this car.

thunderbt3
Thank you for your response as well. You did not mention that you own or use to own a G4S at any stage. All the information that you gave is true, but it seems that you are just biased towards the MTX-4. Yes the G4S won some european championships, and the MTX-4 the world (that is because someone we know driving a Kyosho had problems).

The thing is that you can give these top guys any average car and he could win allot of races.

Please provide detailed information about the cars (if you've got any) and not the drivers that used to race them at a big event.

A year ago I asked a similar question about the HPI R40. I had a couple of similar replies from guys that were biased towards the car. Being a newbe to racing I went and bought one. Spend alot of money on a car when I could have bought one of the top cars. Please be carefull when your reply to a post like this. You can cost someone else alot of money.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProE
Car Breaker

Thanks for the response. That is the type of information I was looking for. I've seen alot of positive feedback from the G4S. Alot of people mention the clutch. It is also good to see some of negative info on the car. I would never thought the battery could be an issue. It seems that the G4S has alot of optional parts already fitted. I've seen the MTX-4 in action at our club and I know what the capabilities are of this car.

thunderbt3
Thank you for your response as well. You did not mention that you own or use to own a G4S at any stage. All the information that you gave is true, but it seems that you are just biased towards the MTX-4. Yes the G4S won some european championships, and the MTX-4 the world (that is because someone we know driving a Kyosho had problems).

The thing is that you can give these top guys any average car and he could win allot of races.

Please provide detailed information about the cars (if you've got any) and not the drivers that used to race them at a big event.

A year ago I asked a similar question about the HPI R40. I had a couple of similar replies from guys that were biased towards the car. Being a newbe to racing I went and bought one. Spend alot of money on a car when I could have bought one of the top cars. Please be carefull when your reply to a post like this. You can cost someone else alot of money.
I can't be bias because I love both car, in fact my first no-road nitro is G4E which screwed bad by Trinity. next I went Serpent 710 (I have to share my thought on the plastic on Serpent vs Mugen. the Serpent plastic is a little brittle but you can screw in and out a hundred time without striping the hold anf it is extremely slop resistant as long as you don't crash the plastic last forever) then G4Evo until G4S come out. later I painfully got myself a MTX-4 because I get freak out of Trinity and they drop Motorman . If not that announcement I will stick with G4S. I am happy with MTX4 as well.

about R40, it is a budget car with good handling on right hand, but it is heavy and not too easy to work with (these days parts is hard to get too). also the quality isn't that good too. i serivece R40 for my friend and used to help in Hobby shop too. that car is a pain to work with. the worse i saw is a NIB with missing one-way bearing in the 2 speed housing

if you read my Signiture, that is all the cars I went through in my 4 year RC life. I waste so much money on trial and error

Last edited by Car Breaker; 01-03-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Car Breaker
Aint nobody's fault but yours that you bought the R40!

I made the same kind of mistake way back when. I just chaulk it up as a learning experience.

I could go on and on and on on these boards looking for a definite answer on what car to buy but if that is what it takes then so be it. I'm partial to Mugen but I also hear/read/seen alot of good stuff about the G4S.The only G4S that I seen at the local track looked very good in my book(top 5 in the "A"). I think you can't go wrong with either.

BTW, the R40 aint that bad. It's just that it's a typical HPI product that was born in need of upgrades. It's like they purposely degrade certain key parts on production kits and then release upgrades for those key parts soon after. If you got it all upgraded then you should keep it and keep at it.

BTW, why isnt the V-one-RRR on your list?
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
Tech Master

i used to own a G4E full options, it's been quite good and i put away my mtx3 at that time. the g4 was so durable and good handling.

right now i am owning a mtx4 and i am always thinking to buy a G4S because of the impression from G4E, however, the lack of parts support and supplies from my country and probable(i think) must need ED gear system which cost more than $100 scare me away.

if G4S has a newer version which has this ED system, i will definitely try the G4S.

just my 2 cents.
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
Tech Champion

I have both of them.

MTX4 is stronger, more durable, and easy to work on maintenance. G4S is little bit the opposite. G4S is trouble some especially if you need to change crystal frequency or removing the upper deck.

However, in terms of handling & performance ( from my experience ) G4S is better and faster cornering car than MTX4.

I don't have special preference. I like them both.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
BTW, why isnt the V-one-RRR on your list
Parts supply for it is none existent in South Africa. I've done some research on it locally. Drove all the way to the distributor in the other town. Asked them about parts that they've got in stock and which kits they've got available. The guy said that they've got the V1-RRR. So I asked him what about the EVO/WCE kits. Said that they don't even know that those kits exists. He said that they would get the information and come back to me. Its been more than a month and I'm still waiting.

Most people here are using the MTX-4 and 720. The G4S is only starting to take of now.

Quote:
Aint nobody's fault but yours that you bought the R40!

I made the same kind of mistake way back when. I just chaulk it up as a learning experience.
That is true. I made the desicion to buy it. But I have learned from that experience. Thats why I'm asking for replies to be NON biased.

The response from CAR BREAKER should be used as a reference when giving feedback on cars. He was not biased about a car and said that this one won this and that one won that. He was honest and mentioned the good and the bad parts of the cars, and then said why he went for one.

My grandmother drives a 1960 beatle. To her its the best car. Thats because its what she owns and that is what she like. Does it make it the best car out in the market now?????

CAR BREAKER
Feedback like yours would really have been helpful before I made the choice to buy it. You are right. It is heavy, and it is a dog to work on. (1810g complete)

Thanks for all the posts guys. Now its going to be even more difficult to decide which one to get.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Tech Adept

So I've decided to get the MTX-4 kit. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks again guys for the feedback.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Good luck with the new car ,im sure you are going to like it.
See U on teh track
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Good luck with the mugen ProE.
you will come to love it verry quickly
Don't forget to pick up some front CVD's for it!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:

I'm so sorry I haven't been on this thread before to warn you buddy. If you had bought the car already,,then Good Luck

If not,, I recommend you really ask around for the major gear stripping problems you'll be facing with the MTX-4. I'm only saying this because I have personally stripped 8(Mugen) 2nd gears and 4 (3Racing Low friction Gears) since buying the car in late October. So you do the math on expenses and average life of a spur gear. I know I could get a lot of heat for saying this,, but this car has got me soooo mad many times because of this problem that I even thought of driving it in a ditch once going at full speed..

I've had local experts look at my gear allignment, free play between pinions and spurs, and still not a damn week passed by without stripping a 2nd gear. Now some people might start to think that I have messed around with my ratios and have them all wrong. FYI I have 17-24 pinions and 52-59 Spurs. 17+59= 76, 24+52=76.

The worst gears anyone can buy for the MTX-4 are the blue 3-Racing. You would really be lucky if they lasted for 3 days at the track. My best run with the original mugen gears was for for a month (4 days at the track).

If anyone also comes to think of the possibilty that my clutch shoe is warn out,, then please eliminate this option because I changed it already.

I have really had it with this car and it would take a miracle or anything close to it to reconsider(perhaps a phone call or an email from Fukuda.. ) I'm really thinking of selling it ASAP to get a G4S or a RRR EVO-WC.

Finally, I would like to thank you for this topic because I know it will do me a lot of good to hear what owners of both cars have to say.
nitro_moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Moe,
i upgraded from the g4 to the Mugen in June last year and to date i have yet to strip 1 spur gear.
i find the Mtx to be easier to drive at the edge and be more stable and responsive at low and high speed than my G4.
Comparing the 2 cars for design, they are both good.
the problem i found with the G4 was with the front bulkhead and top plate that joins the bulkheads to the main top plate.
the front of the bulkheads where the droop screws are and the bumper mounts to are not all that strong and are prone to cracking.
when that ocurres it throws the droop way off and the car handles dreddfully, not to mention that the bulkheads need tossing then
The top joining plate also can be a problem with the 2 rear screws that fix it to the main chasiss can strip and loosen of and create a easily tweeked car!
Othewise the G4 is a nice car to own and drive.

The mtx4 i found with the 1 piece top plate design and front bulkheads that the whole design fixes together much stronger than the g4.
Theres also more adjustment with the fromt and rear rollcentres.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have never stripped a gear on my MTX-4 either.
PROVK is offline   Reply With Quote