R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-06-2007, 05:27 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

both cars are good performers, I could honestly say that the g4 comes already for the price you pay with more options than the mtx4, I've seen it and raced against it and it is a top notch performer just like the mugen, you couldn't go wrong with either car but obviously nitro moe is doing something wrong relating to spurs, go to nitrokb.com lots of info regarding stripping, I also use a 7 t split on my spurs and since July last year and some gallons later, my spurs are still being used

happy racing
Old 01-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to ProE Send a message via Skype™ to ProE

nitro_moe

Thanks for the reply man. To be honest, I had similar problems with my R40, and I've seen people mention the second gear pinion stripping on the MTX-4 forum.

The problem is that I think that the kit without a second gear might still be faster than my R40

I now one of the guys at our track had a similar problem and he was somehow able to fix it. He stripped about 7 gears on one day and was also close to throwing the car away. I'll ask him next time I see him how he fixed it and let you now. There is about 12 other guys at the club with the same car that doesn't have this problem. Maybe its just some other component that is causing the problems.

O, and I did buy the kit, Today.
ProE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I originally posted this some time ago but no-one commented.

I just finished building my Mtx-4 and decided to start the engine. I then notice it looks liked my clutch bell somewhat wobbles. Well after investigating I found that the inner two bearings in the clutch are migrating out of the clutch bell so when the clutch engages the only bearing holding the clutch bell centered is the out most bearing. Just looking for any ideas or if some one has seen this. I might swab the inner race of the clutch bell with just a little lock tight and then install the inner two bearings to try to keep them inside the clutch bell when the clutch ingages. This might attribute to stripped gears if the clutch bell is allowed to wobble.

Also make sure you have the proper spacers between the clutch bell bearing and spring nut.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to ProE Send a message via Skype™ to ProE

Did you add shims to the shaft before you placed the bearings and clutch bell on the shaft?
ProE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:52 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Moe,
i upgraded from the g4 to the Mugen in June last year and to date i have yet to strip 1 spur gear.
i find the Mtx to be easier to drive at the edge and be more stable and responsive at low and high speed than my G4.
Comparing the 2 cars for design, they are both good.
the problem i found with the G4 was with the front bulkhead and top plate that joins the bulkheads to the main top plate.
the front of the bulkheads where the droop screws are and the bumper mounts to are not all that strong and are prone to cracking.
when that ocurres it throws the droop way off and the car handles dreddfully, not to mention that the bulkheads need tossing then
The top joining plate also can be a problem with the 2 rear screws that fix it to the main chasiss can strip and loosen of and create a easily tweeked car!
Othewise the G4 is a nice car to own and drive.

The mtx4 i found with the 1 piece top plate design and front bulkheads that the whole design fixes together much stronger than the g4.
Theres also more adjustment with the fromt and rear rollcentres.
I forgot to mention the other thing with the G4 that gave me the sh!ts was that with the small amount of space left under the top tray, fitting the wiring in somewhere was 1 job that i loved to hate!
With the Mtx4 though there is many more places to put the wiring
Old 01-07-2007, 02:55 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Itchy did yourun a G4 or G4S ?
Sure the wiring is a bit tight ,but then most cars are.Its not a issue if you think out what you need to do.
Ive got every confidence in my S partly because I import it myself and offer the best support I can at the same time learning about it.
Ive run the G4S for 1 season now and have had no mechanical failures at all.
Damaged 1 front arm that had the shock ball pulled from it and the battery pack tab coming loose.Also a throttle servo failure.
Most issues I had was tuning the engine and 2nd gear which is expected as i am fairly new to onraod gas.
The Mugen is a awesome package and was a choice for me in the beginning but I opted to get a car that was regarded as underdog.
Our home track is Serpent 95% so that was another option but being one who like variety and a challenge I got the G4s.
PROE is spot on with his choice as the resident mugen distributor is based at hes club so he has the support.Whish him well with his mugen and I will see him on the track at the nats next month.PROE have fun building and im sure you gonna love it compared to the R40 ,in fact I dont think you would want to run the R40 again.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:01 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I actually had the G4,
i'm sure that with the updated car that the wiring isn't as much of an issue as with the old car.
I got hold of my Mtx4 just before the new G4s came out and with the amount of spares i bought to have in stock when racing, it was too late to just get the upgrade kit as i already had the ufo clutch for my G4
Would have been cheaper that way but it didn't work out.
I am very happy with my Mugen though, so it offsets the pain of spending the extra $$$
Old 01-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
Suspended

I got both MTX 4 and the G4s, I always have a problem with the gears of my MTX 4 it always strips the second gear, I was advised by someone at the track to use only 53T and 58T, and still the same, now with the G4s it is a pain in the butt to work on but car handles good. and parts arew expensive and sometimes hard to get, now I'm thinking of selling both and buy a Kyosho V ONE RRR EVO or a Serpent 720 or maybe the OFNA GPX 4
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

please refer other in the forum to see how to mesh teh gear on MTX4, I have no striping problem at all since day one