R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Video Games Make CBSTV Before RC Does

Video Games Make CBSTV Before RC Does.

For anyone that thinks that RC racing is not a Sport, check out CBS’s Saturday Sports Spectacular. Its called “Video Game Superstars”

As I start this thread, I’m watching a TV show on “Professional Video Gamers”, I can’t believe it! It’s ridiculous and yet it’s on TV. They’re doing interviews and stories about what they’re calling a “Sport” They say it takes hard work and dedication to be a “video superstar”.

I say that everyone RC racer should consider themselves a RC Racing Professional from now on.

If you guys ever want to see RC Racing on TV and treated with respect by industries we have to start today. RC Racing is a Sport, say it, believe it, promote it, don’t take “no” for an answer.

Stop calling it a “hobby”, a hobby is collecting stamps or coins or beanie babies.

On behalf of RC Pro, I am outraged that RC racing didn’t get there 1st. As the Director of Event Marketing for RC Pro, I hope we’ll stand as one voice to show the world that RC Racing is a Sport.

STARTING 2007 RC RACING IS A SPORT!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Not sure where you live, but there is a new show on the outdoor life network, OLN , on saturday mronings, 830 and 1030 am, its called RCTV and is dedicated to all aspects of RC.
try going to OLN.com and they will have a shcedule there you can check out.
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Default Video

I hear you.

But, CBS is a major Network.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
Tech Regular

The one that takes the cake with me is the Rock, Paper, Scissors World Championship that aired on ESPN about three or four months ago. These RPS " athletes" were competing for $50,000 in cash. If Rock Paper Scissors can get ESPN air time, RC Car racing should be a shoe in in my opinion.
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No matter how fun or competitive our "hobby" is, most people out there think we are just racing toys.

In the U.S., if a network can get sufficient advertising dollars for whatever they are showing, then they will show it - otherwise, forget it.

You really can't compare video games with R/C. When game consoles are selling in the millions and the industry itself rakes in a few billion a year, it's like comparing filet minion with dog food...
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
No matter how fun or competitive our "hobby" is, most people out there think we are just racing toys.

In the U.S., if a network can get sufficient advertising dollars for whatever they are showing, then they will show it - otherwise, forget it.

You really can't compare video games with R/C. When game consoles are selling in the millions and the industry itself rakes in a few billion a year, it's like comparing filet minion with dog food...

thats exaclty it...it all boils down to the almighty dollar....Hey i agrre with Jeff i feel rc is a sport...more than the fastest eating contest, poker, ping pong,,,
Rc has it over all those...Problem is those sports have large corporate sponsors and bring in alot of revenue..
Old 12-31-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

I agree, $$$ does walk the walk for air time. Our industry would need a large grand prize pot or a gimick like 30 hot models with silver pit cases and a funny bald race announcer who talks on the phone with a ROAR race director that no one sees because he's in a tinted pop-up trailer.

Violence also sells, I have a ton of nephews with old RTR BattleBots. And that just goes to prove that airtime would help out our industry bigtime.

Traxxas had the right idea of thinking outside the box. Besides advertising in all the RC mags, they also advertise in other major pubs like car mags, fitness mags, etc. I've had a few friends who know I race RC, but haven't got a clue of what it's all about. Then they see a little 3" Traxxas ad and start asking me if I know what a T-Maxx is.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Default Video

I started this thread to shed light on the fact that the American media is desperately searching for sporting activities to offer to advertisers as an exciting new vehicle to promote their “Brands” & “Services”.

They search for lower cost alternatives to more expensive sports like Football or Baseball or Basketball. The media giants will try any sport at this point. This year we’ve seen: Rock Paper Scissors, Eating, Elimination Blackjack and now Video Game Championships. What’s next, Thumb Wrestling?

RC Pro is working for a change in the general public's perception of our Sport.