R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Is this a clutch problem? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/14187-clutch-problem.html)

albertlam 03-02-2003 09:14 AM

Is this a clutch problem?

I have been running my VOneRR for about a year now. Recently, it has this strange problem.

After goin' thru the straight at full throttle and on exiting the turn, when I start to give throttle again, the engine will rev up quickly, but the car doesn't have any momentum at all.

Then I let go of the throttle and try to accelerate again, but still just hear the engine rev up, but the car just gradually come to a stop.

But after it's stopped for a few second, while I'm still on the driver stand, it's back to normal, and is fine on the whole track except once every few laps it happens again at the end of the straight.

Can any one offer some help to me please? Thanks.

tennessee 03-02-2003 10:30 AM

Have you ever checked the oneway bearing on the 1st gear spur gear, or even lubed it?

mobil1rac 03-02-2003 10:31 AM

Yes it doesa sound like your clutch is slipping, take apart and see if the is a glaze on shoes/bell housing, clean then put it back. But make sure it might not be a belt that is starting to slip: gears/ pulleys might be worn down. Also check for any loose screws on any of the shafts that might not be tight.

tennessee 03-02-2003 10:47 AM

If you have never replaced the one way, replace it.

If you are out at crystal park next weekend I'll give you one.

And I'll help you with you're car.

JordanC 03-02-2003 06:24 PM

It sounds like a one way to me too. Throw a new one in,..... I find it's not the best idea to lube them though. Some of the guys here use the one way lube, and they seem to go through them like they aare going out of fashion.

Morpheus2be 03-02-2003 06:27 PM

Funny someone brought this 'problem' up today. I had the exact same problem on my Impulse racing this past weekend. Turns out, it was the lockscrews on my mid pulley (side belt). They came loose despite some loctite. Since I had geared for front overdrive, the rear wheel weren't providing enough traction to power the car around corners. It still worked fine along the straights but I essentially had only rear wheel drive instead of slight front overdrive 4wd.

Check that all 4 wheels are powered.

:D :D

albertlam 03-02-2003 07:23 PM

Thanks guys for all your response!

Before I replace my one-way, just curious to know, if it really was the problem of the one-way, then how does it explain the slipping only happens when exiting the turn right after the straight.

And it keeps slipping even though I gave and release throttle, not until it came to a complete stop by itself and sat there for a few seconds, then, it's back to normal??

By the way, should I replace the two-speed collar together with that one-way?

mobil1rac 03-02-2003 07:27 PM

It might be the one-way, but do you have the car within arms reach, did you check everthing else and eliminate the easy stuff.

popsracer 03-02-2003 08:40 PM

Is this a clutch problem?

albertlam;

Disassemble the 2spd clutch and put the Hub into the oneway bearing and turn it back and forth a few times. Usually you will feel it grab and then slip once in a while if it is bad. A small dab of grease will extend the life of your New one-way bearing. The Hubs are pretty durable but look for any signs of unusual wear. It should be smooth and even.

InitialD 03-02-2003 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Morpheus2be
Funny someone brought this 'problem' up today. I had the exact same problem on my Impulse racing this past weekend. Turns out, it was the lockscrews on my mid pulley (side belt). They came loose despite some loctite. Since I had geared for front overdrive, the rear wheel weren't providing enough traction to power the car around corners. It still worked fine along the straights but I essentially had only rear wheel drive instead of slight front overdrive 4wd.

Check that all 4 wheels are powered.

:D :D

Morpheus2be, where did you race last weekend? Grubs screws loosening? Changed to the Impact / 705 pulleys already? What pulleys were you using for the front overdrive? Equal front and rear tire diameter? I assume you're running foams...

InitialD 03-02-2003 10:44 PM

Re: Is this a clutch problem?

Originally posted by popsracer
albertlam;

Disassemble the 2spd clutch and put the Hub into the oneway bearing and turn it back and forth a few times. Usually you will feel it grab and then slip once in a while if it is bad. A small dab of grease will extend the life of your New one-way bearing. The Hubs are pretty durable but look for any signs of unusual wear. It should be smooth and even.

There are special lubes for one way bearings. I use the Serpent one way bearing 1680. Using different types of lubes like WD40 etc might affect the dimension and tolerance of the plastic strip collars as they react. Once their dimensions are off, the one way bearings will not work correctly and they slip.

What I do is firstly clean the one way bearing with some alchohol or degreaser. Clean and dry it properly. Then, put a single drop of one way lube on the shaft where the one way bearing would spin on and give the assembly a spin.

If the same problem happens on the track, then it's time to change the one way bearing.

Manticore 03-02-2003 11:49 PM

Re: Is this a clutch problem?

Originally posted by albertlam
I have been running my VOneRR for about a year now. Recently, it has this strange problem.

After goin' thru the straight at full throttle and on exiting the turn, when I start to give throttle again, the engine will rev up quickly, but the car doesn't have any momentum at all.

Then I let go of the throttle and try to accelerate again, but still just hear the engine rev up, but the car just gradually come to a stop.

But after it's stopped for a few second, while I'm still on the driver stand, it's back to normal, and is fine on the whole track except once every few laps it happens again at the end of the straight.

Can any one offer some help to me please? Thanks.

seems to me you have a bad oneway bearing on your 1st gear adaptor. Or you have a worn out oneway adaptor on your main shaft. The one way is 8mm and it is not easy to toast it.

If you run it on a proper track(PYC or EGR), you dont really need to clean it. My V1RR has been 2 years and I have only lube it less then 10 times. and I do have problem every time I lube it ! turn out I use fuel to wash away the lube :o :o :o :o

V-One S 03-03-2003 12:53 AM

do u just slam the throttle full open, or slowly open it when it starts to slip. if u r slamming it open, stop somewhere on the track and just give it WOT and see if it slips there, if so it sounds like a clutch is slipping.

Manticore 03-03-2003 02:24 AM

Originally posted by V-One S
do u just slam the throttle full open, or slowly open it when it starts to slip. if u r slamming it open, stop somewhere on the track and just give it WOT and see if it slips there, if so it sounds like a clutch is slipping.
a slipping clutch will give you consistant problem but not intermittent problem.

Morpheus2be 03-03-2003 02:30 AM

Originally posted by InitialD
Morpheus2be, where did you race last weekend? Grubs screws loosening? Changed to the Impact / 705 pulleys already? What pulleys were you using for the front overdrive? Equal front and rear tire diameter? I assume you're running foams...
Weekend 'racing' at Bkt Indah. I'm using the Impact pulleys (althought LHS guys say its an MTX pulley), front 23t rear 18t, I think, on the mid belt. It gives great traction upfront, so now my front foam tires wear faster than the rear. It also makes the car track well on power. I'm also braking less, since I just need to throttle up whenever the rear end slips. Running 40 shores all around but the diameters aren't equal. I do not have a tire truer.