R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to mdelosrey
Default Back After ~5 Years...

Hello Everyone,

Its been around five years since I left the RC world, and one of my buddies purchased a Traxxas 4tec 3.3 (his 1st RC). All of the sudden I have the urge to get "into" it again. I started with an Hpi like a lot of people, hopped it up and sold it. After I got rid of the Hpi I bought a rc10gt, Uncle broke the shock tower and now its lost. Then around May of 2001 I bought my 1st "real" RC, it was the Serpent Impulse. It came with a Nova Mega .12 engine but no radio. But all of the sudden (change of interest) I left and was never able to even fire up the serpent. Now since its been a while I don't know what to do. Do you fellows think I should fire up the serpent? I am scared of crashing it because I don't know where to find replacement parts. Is it still a decent car? My buddy thinks his Traxxas is the S***, but if I recall correctly Mugen and Serpent were the S***. Maybe I should get an Hpi just to get my feet wet...again. Thanks. Any advice/input/opinion/comments are appreciated... I miss it so much.
mdelosrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelosrey
Hello Everyone,

Its been around five years since I left the RC world, and one of my buddies purchased a Traxxas 4tec 3.3 (his 1st RC). All of the sudden I have the urge to get "into" it again. I started with an Hpi like a lot of people, hopped it up and sold it. After I got rid of the Hpi I bought a rc10gt, Uncle broke the shock tower and now its lost. Then around May of 2001 I bought my 1st "real" RC, it was the Serpent Impulse. It came with a Nova Mega .12 engine but no radio. But all of the sudden (change of interest) I left and was never able to even fire up the serpent. Now since its been a while I don't know what to do. Do you fellows think I should fire up the serpent? I am scared of crashing it because I don't know where to find replacement parts. Is it still a decent car? My buddy thinks his Traxxas is the S***, but if I recall correctly Mugen and Serpent were the S***. Maybe I should get an Hpi just to get my feet wet...again. Thanks. Any advice/input/opinion/comments are appreciated... I miss it so much.
Dude, to be honest neither the Traxxas nor the impulse are the SH*T at todays high racing standards. But if I were you, I would go through your Serpent, make sure things are cool with it...you know like (belts, gears, pulleys screws not missing or loose, lube bearings, etc.) I would tear it all the way down and make it like new. Also tear the engine apart and clean and inspect that bad boy. Make sure radio equipment is all good to go and cycle that old battery about three times. Then after it's all rarin to go, fire that mini monster up and whip so Traxxas BUTT! I'm pretty sure you can still get all or at least most of the parts for the Impulse. I think that some parts are still interchangable with the 710 and maybe even the newer 720...but don't quote me on that.
By going this route you get to have fun reviving your old ride and getting rid of those old demons that got you out of the hobby in the first place. Plus the Serpent impulse is still a decent car. VERY decent next to the TRAXX-ASS. Plus you can put a fresh shell on that bad boy with some new paint, new tires and walla, new car again!! Plus only had to spend a few bucks.

I personally was going through some of my Serpent parts and came across some "Impulse" parts still in the bag. I never owned and impulse...that's why I think they "might" be compatable with the S710. But either way I will never have a use for them and would be more then happy to send them your way. Knowing me, they would be things like the A arms and any other common part that you break at the race track. I think the belts are compatable also with the newer Serpents. Sorry for all the "maybe's" and "might's", but like I said, I never owned an Impulse. Hopefully some other guys on here can help you out with those questions. Or just go to MY TSN and other online shops and research it yourself.

When it's all said and done, I would do exactly what I told you to and you will SMOKE your buddy . Plus it will see if it's something you want to persue down the road with a new car. And I would not recommend that new car to be an HPI if you get to that point. Read some of the more current threads on here about "what car should I buy" etc. But one thing at a time, revive your impulse because it is still a "real" race car, where as the TRAXX-ASS is a fast straight moving TOY car. Now go and start tearing that thing down and clean it up for your "battle"!!!! You'll LOVE it...trust me!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Bust out that Serpent and race it! Its still a good car. A bit heavy, but really solid. Parts are still available. Just ask around in the serpent threads. You can also check ebay. Its a much better car then the Traxxas too.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:01 AM   #4
Tech Elite

The Serpent is more than capable of running with the big boys at the local track.Ill run it anytime over the Traxxas and HPI.I still have my Impulse Pro ,its been relegated to back up car and nitro drifter.Solid and reliable ,and parts is no hassle ,our Serpent distributor still has plenty spares and hop ups.

Oh ! almost forgot , great to have you back in the rc community ,its a great place to be.!!
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

i still run a serpent impact. do it for fun and not competition if you are just getting back into it. i would say if you are in need of parts go to ashford hobby, bruckner hobbies, ace hardware hobbies or the old standby e-bay. Mikes hobbies in lewisville, tx is closing out all there serpent parts for 25% off and i gos hoards of stuff for an impact. when i was there a week ago they had hundreds of parts for vectors, impulses and any other serpent you can think of.
homerneedspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerneedspeed
i still run a serpent impact. do it for fun and not competition if you are just getting back into it. i would say if you are in need of parts go to ashford hobby, bruckner hobbies, ace hardware hobbies or the old standby e-bay. Mikes hobbies in lewisville, tx is closing out all there serpent parts for 25% off and i gos hoards of stuff for an impact. when i was there a week ago they had hundreds of parts for vectors, impulses and any other serpent you can think of.
Serpent! , i heard that this guy that used to be in this forum, Ken M loved serpents , he even had a screen name "serpentfreak69" or something like that
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to mdelosrey

Ok I tore the serpent apart. I found out I need to rebuild one shock other 3 still seem to be in good shape. Rear left diff housing has a screw that seems to be a little stripped (still grabs). Carburetor slide seems to be stuck. I might try to soak it in a ziploc of denatured alchohol (good/bad idea?) or just buy a new carb. I also seem to be missing 5 countersunk screws. Last but not least the left tie rod needs to be replaced. I'll take pictures soon and show you guys the state of this antique. As for the Radio gear I am thinking of getting a Futaba 3pm I believe. What do you guys think of this radio? If I don't decide on a radio by January 20 I'll be going to Las Vegas. My cousin, who used to also RC with me, said that I can have his mtx-2 w/ a m8. With the m8 all I'll need to run my serpent would be a couple of servos and a receiver. Any suggestions on these items also would greatly help. I know it all depends on what I want to do with the car, which is just destroy my buddies ever growing Traxxas-ego. JK. Man talking about all this stuff just gets me all amped. Any local Las Vegas Rc'ers that can direct me to some cool hobby shops in that area? Again thank you everyone who responded, it is much appreciated.
mdelosrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Do you fellows think I should fire up the serpent? I am scared of crashing it because I don't know where to find replacement parts. Is it still a decent car?
-Yes!!, www.gasrccar.com, Yes!!!...
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote