Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JOE SI
Real quick, I know ppl cut the rear arms to change wheelbase. Where do I cut/trim? In the back of the back arm or front of the back arm?
Correct me if I'm wrong, trimming the back of the rear arm I would add shims to the front of the rear arm to lengthen the wheelbase, and trimming the front if the rear arm I'd add shims to the rear to shorten.
You are right, but no need to lengthen the wheel base. Just dremmel off 2mm from the front on the rear arms and add a shim to the back. You may also have to add a 2mm shim to camber links where they attach to the rear roll center brace b/c the camber links will be at an angle without the shims.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Real quick, I know ppl cut the rear arms to change wheelbase. Where do I cut/trim? In the back of the back arm or front of the back arm?
Correct me if I'm wrong, trimming the back of the rear arm I would add shims to the front of the rear arm to lengthen the wheelbase, and trimming the front if the rear arm I'd add shims to the rear to shorten.
Dremmel 2mm of the back of the rear arm and add a 2 mm spacer to the front of the arm to get what you are looking for. Don't forget to space out the camber link tower also. You can also move the spacer to the rear of the arm it will be just like stock. You can only use the bottom 2 roll center mounting holes when pushing the arm back 2 mm, if you want to use the top 2 you have to use a 1 mm spacer in front and back or put the 2 mm spacer at the back of the arm. Most do this along with making the front of the car short. I only know this from all of the help I get from XRAY TEAM drivers like Diatta, Scooby & Drew. Just talk to them, they are a wealth of information and always willing to help.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ok, so take 2mm from the front of the rear arm and shorten the wheelbase. My fronts are already the narrow arms and are 2mm back
Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, so take 2mm from the front of the rear arm and shorten the wheelbase. My fronts are already the narrow arms and are 2mm back
No, take 2mm off of the back of the rear arms. If you take 2mm of the front of the rear arm that does nothing to the car. The goal is to make the wheelbase of the car longer by moving both rear wheels away from the front wheels.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by godzukihop
No, take 2mm off of the back of the rear arms. If you take 2mm of the front of the rear arm that does nothing to the car. The goal is to make the wheelbase of the car longer by moving both rear wheels away from the front wheels.
Why do you want to move the wheelbase back? That will slow down steering response and overall rotation.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by esckalayd
Why do you want to move the wheelbase back? That will slow down steering response and overall rotation.
Instead of saying it will not work, just try it. What harm is there? If you don't like it just put the 2mm shim at the back of the arm and your right back where you started. I tried it because some team drivers had it and also said try it and see if you like it and I did. I am telling Joe what I did because he saw a picture and asked. All of the people I saw run the car long in the back had the front of the car short.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My new 2013 car is pretty great. Just back from the GLC. Best qualifying effort yet and I have been there many times. Qualified 5th and with the top 3 being Burch, Apolaro and Morganti, that makes me pretty happy. I was a bit off with my engine tune and didnt set my gear mesh correctly for the main. That bit me pretty hard but even with a blown glow plug and 2 stripped gears the car brought me home in 6th place. Looking forward to more racing with this car.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by godzukihop
Instead of saying it will not work, just try it. What harm is there? If you don't like it just put the 2mm shim at the back of the arm and your right back where you started. I tried it because some team drivers had it and also said try it and see if you like it and I did. I am telling Joe what I did because he saw a picture and asked. All of the people I saw run the car long in the back had the front of the car short.
Both ways makes sense. If I cut the Rear of the rear arm and move it back ill have the same wheelbase as stock but the whole car will be 2mm back.
If I do the front of rear arm it'll shorten wheelbase and definitely have more response and rotation.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

if you put both the rear and the front arms rearward the weight of the car will be more forward. I toyd with this with my life batt. with added weight in the middle, and more weight rearward will get more steering is what i experienced.

Moving the front back will shorten the wheelbase. If you move the rear arm forward this will shorten the wheelbas even more. The car will turn better if thats what you want. It won`t handle that good on bumps though. Would like to hear some advantages with this mod.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by djiewie
if you put both the rear and the front arms rearward the weight of the car will be more forward. I toyd with this with my life batt. with added weight in the middle, and more weight rearward will get more steering is what i experienced.

Moving the front back will shorten the wheelbase. If you move the rear arm forward this will shorten the wheelbas even more. The car will turn better if thats what you want. It won`t handle that good on bumps though. Would like to hear some advantages with this mod.
Thanks, moving front and rear arms back 2mm moves weight forward giving more steering is the answer I was looking for. IMO there's no reason to move the rear arms forward shortening wheelbase even more, it will be to hard to control unless you're on tight smooth tracks
Old 08-31-2013, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

In order to get more steering on initial turn in, what would you do?
Harder springs in front?
Softer springs in front?
I run 3 hole 700 xray oil with pink spring up front and 2 hole 600 xray oil w/pink spring in the rear.
When I changed the front pink to a rear pink it was turning in like a 1/12 on carpet.
Why would running a longer spring in front make such a difference?
So I'm running long rear pink springs all around, no more shorter spring up front
Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

wouldn't using long spring up front change your roll center ?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Harder springs in front?
Softer springs in front?
I run 3 hole 700 xray oil with pink spring up front and 2 hole 600 xray oil w/pink spring in the rear.
When I changed the front pink to a rear pink it was turning in like a 1/12 on carpet.
So I'm running long rear pink springs all around, no more shorter spring up front
The short front springs are harder than the long springs with the same color.
Putting the long spring front is softer and the car will dive more giving more weight on that wheel and releasing more weight on the rear wheel and this ads up in steering. This will give you more steering overall. More steering is also gained with harder springs in the rear. try a harder rear arb lik2 the 2,4 for more turn in.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Harder springs in front?
Softer springs in front?
You should be running the red short springs up front with the pink(pepto) springs in the rear. This will give you more initial steering. Also, make sure your ackerman is all the way forward and you can always stiffen up the front blade for more initial
Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Aluminum Rear Stiffener

Anyone know where in the USA i can get an aluminum rear stiffener? The part that goes from the rear bulkhead (over the clutch) to the radio plate. This is what i am looking for but preferably not from HK.

http://www.saxoracing.com/productshow.asp?id=616

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.