R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #1171
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

While on the topic of parts and price... I will admit, some of the XRay stuff is pricey, but I have never raced anything that holds up and lasts as long as these parts do.

Example, I know I'm relating this is nitro offroad (which is probably the hardest on your equipment of any class) but bear with me...
I owned a Brand-X Truggy before we got our truggies and within the first couple of runs, both of my front universals were bent out of shape, and I'm not exactly a 'bad driver' that hits everything on the track. I have never worn out or bent a set of drive shafts on my buggy or truggy, even when I was running a car that had well over 25 gallons on the drive shafts (yes I race that much)... Another one of our local guys runs a Brand-Y buggy and since he's owned it he has replaced the chassis 3 times and a full set of drive shafts (front, center and rear) once, while I was running a car that has drive shafts from the original shipment of XB8's 3 years ago!

When you look at all of the XRay stuff, you have to remember you get what you pay for, in that it may be more expensive up front, but they will outlast anything else out there. If paying more means completing a race, trust me, I'll bust out the wallet any time!

Last edited by rmargiotta; 06-07-2007 at 10:04 AM.
rmargiotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #1172
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

$300 for extra sounds a bit exaggerated.

To make the car race ready it needs front CVDs ($66), yellow clutch shoe ($13), hard foam bumber ($10) and Serpent, K-factory or Mugen thrust bearing ($10) but in race trim it is still only $500.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #1173
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post

To make the car race ready it needs front CVDs ($66), yellow clutch shoe ($13), hard foam bumber ($10) and Serpent, K-factory or Mugen thrust bearing ($10) but in race trim it is still only $500.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Did you go all out on spares or did you just buy a few items? Just wondering what you picked up.

Thanks
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #1174
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

No spares yet, my local track stocks them for me. If regionals or anything of that caliber happens this year I will probably pick up a spare kit to be safe.

For spares On the cheap though I would suggest a fr. arm, re. arm, L & R spindles, re hub, set of belts, pulley set including front diff pulley, 2nd re diff, shock body parts tree, package of 5.8mm ball cups, & whatever spurs & pinions you use. If you run on a track where cars occasional see air a re shock tower would also be a good idea.

I usually don't go through too many parts (3 broken last year) but if I have to spend money on travel & extra foams I want to make sure I can run the main.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #1175
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

the only hop up i bought for my NT1 was front cvd's . i raced at the midwest nitro series last week and didnt break a single thing. i went through the car this week and everything looks perfect.race ready the price of the kit and cvd's

TOP Racing - Gravity Rc - Contact tires - KO Propo - Competition Electronics
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #1176
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
it is a luxurious car.. and yes you getting cheap uncle Sow
I think you're right.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #1177
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC America View Post

I cannot speak to the metallurgy of the Spring Steel components from XRAY, but I can reference the excellent durability and strength we have seen in our 1/8th off-road universals and cv driveshafts. ...
Here I completely agree that the Hudy spring steel is one of the best if not THE best.

I started using them way back when Serpent sold spring steel axles, dogbones and hollow mid-shafts in the days of the Impulse Pro and 705. They lasted forever.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #1178
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post

Mark
hi mark , i in no way am exaggerating the cost comparison to what you get for the money in the other kits including 4mm chassis , multi diff , cvd's and aluminum wheel hexes
add to that the yellow clutch shoe hard foam bumper and you can clearly see the huge price gap.
Nitrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #1179
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogasm View Post
hi mark , i in no way am exaggerating the cost comparison to what you get for the money in the other kits including 4mm chassis , multi diff , cvd's and aluminum wheel hexes
add to that the yellow clutch shoe hard foam bumper and you can clearly see the huge price gap.
Dude, you're listing performance options (except for maybe the wheel hexes (which are also made in different offsets) and foam bumper, but then again, it does weigh more than the standard bumper, so there again, it would change performance). You don't have to have those parts for every track, but if you go buy a car, I would just get the front CVDs and some springs and that's about it, but since we all seem to have all of this expendable income, what is a couple more bucks for all the bling parts like carbon fiber pieces and lightweight tranny parts...

If you buy any car you could rack up the coin if you bought /all/ of the option parts, and sorry if your local track demands these parts to yield the fastest times, but not every track is the same nor is every car equipped to suit your track...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #1180
Tech Initiate

i never said that you have to have all those parts to race , my comparison is what you get in the box from the various makers for the price .

i understand your defending the company that gives you free stuff to use as a team driver/employee , i would never expect a team driver to call it like it really is , but my point escaped or flew over your point of reasoning .

back to the gripe at hand is that xray should state what you get clearly in their marketing of products and not cloak the true underlying costs of the car behind fancy wordsmithing.

put yourself in the consumers shoes for a moment and try to imagine buying something that in the marketing text states "drives" and "set" and be excited for the product to improve your car's reliability only to find out after the fact that your only getting one piece for a price that is on par of being double of everything else on the market , i have pruchased mugen cvd's at 33 dollars for the pair so why in my experience should i just know that xray's verbage of set means 1 unit . what good does a single cvd do anyone other than having it as a spare.
it's as simple as wording , saying what you get is a single cvd for 32.95

i believe if they were to state only one cvd for that price they would sell fewer

after buying the set or single cvd's the consumer is now almost trapped into spending more money to complete the set opps there is that set word again . funny how set means more than one ehhh

im done on this , i know whats right and whats not
Nitrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #1181
Tech Master

delete
Old 06-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #1182
Tech Regular

Thumbs down

Nitrogasm, I too fell for the trap being new to kit cars I read my order as a set = 2 but when it arrived there was only 1 , to make matters worst I also made an order for the aluminum hubs(bling) only to realise for that price I did not get any grub screws. Now they are forcing me to go back online to pay for shipping and taxes for grub screws and 1 cvd, what the hell and as you rightfully said the parts are not cheap.

I going to sell the kit and maybe move to a 720 07, I am really fed up, because I also got the kit missing alot of screws then I had to send money to get those because Xray were not sending them for me eventhough they admitted to being their fault . Now I feel like I should have stayed with my RTR

Alright it is off my chest now, good by NT1
jelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #1183
Tech Adept

Nitrogasm,

As I stated before, the confusion surrounding the item is unfortunate . I will contact XRAY about making a change on their site and listings. Please also note that the term "set" was not some new approach they thought up so they can match the price of a competitors driveshaft for the NT1 as was suggested. They have used the term 'set' to refer to a complete, single driveshaft assebly back to the days of the first T1 electric sedans, part number 305200 and 305300. I have been in the consumer's shoes, and I understand your disappointment. I have made errors and received something other than what I expected too, no one enjoys that! If XRAY did package them as a two complete driveshaft sets, I am sure I would get several calls complaining that they can't buy just 1 for spare or replacement. Unfortunately there isn't one solution for every situation.

You are correct that our Spring Steel pieces are more expensive than other brands steel parts. As I mentioned before, only time will prove if this cost will be worth it to the consumer, but we feel it will be. It certainly has been for the XB8. I would probably be pretty dissappointed if I compared the ratio of XB8 universals sales relative to kit sales to that of the other manufacturers. If you feel they are price gouging, they certainly haven't figured that tactic out yet to make money. Not only do you need to sell at a high price, but they need the part to fail so we can sell more of them too! If they charge more but provide a higher quality piece that doesn't wear out as often, how is that gouging? To reference another one of our kits, the electic T2, the same issues exist with our plastics. A suspension arm or C-Hub from XRAY is a bit more than other brands, but again our part sales to kit sales ratio is much smaller than most because our stuff doesn't break! It is great for the consumer, but from a distributor/dealer standpoint, it kinda sucks!!!

I don't think your point about options escaped anyone at all, but I think it is inaccurate. You are totally up all of the tuning pieces for the NT1, but not doing the same for the other brands. The 4mm chassis is not a must have piece for all racers. It is a tuning option. Considering more NT1 users will probably drive on temporary, dusty tracks, I don't think a 4mm chassis will be the best choice for everyone in that low grip situation. I don't believe the other brands include two chassis plates in the kit, so did you include the standard chassis in the cost of the option parts you 'need' to buy for the other brands? The same can be said for the adjustable rear anti-roll bar, clutch shoes, Multi-Diff, etc. As a few other people mentioned, there are few pieces that most will probably want to add, including the CV shafts, to improve the performance and reliability of the NT1. But those pieces don't even total up to $300, so its hard to see how the NT1 can be $300 more than anyone else to get race ready. If you need all of the option parts on your NT1 to race competitively and see no need for the stock pieces, I would suggest selling the stock chassis, front diff, dogbones, etc. to make back some of that expense.

I appreciate the feedback on the labeling, and hopefully we can improve communication with customers going forward. I hope this issue doesn't drive you away from the NT1 before you have a chance to really test and evaluate the car for a while.

Bryan
RC America

Leaving work now to watch the NBA finals on my televison 'set'.
RC America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #1184
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC America View Post
Bryan
RC America

Leaving work now to watch the NBA finals on my televison 'set'.
Wait, is that a 'set' because it comes with a remote, power cable and the TV or is it because you have two televisions?
akalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #1185
Tech Regular

Default Rear anti-roll set

Guys has anyone recieved the Rear Adjustable Anti-Roll Bar - Set, it says on the Xray site no other parts required but has this been verified, would not like for someone to purchase this part and have to purchase grub screws and e-clips seperately
jelayne is offline   Reply With Quote